1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox what bits

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by barrykil, Jul 12, 2002.

1. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi
    gotta buy the boy an xbox (might have a little go myself?) what extras do i need in the way of leads ect to get the best picture/sound out of this machine
    i have denon 3802
    tosh zp36
    thanks for any help

2. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    make sure you get the xbox advanced scart if you can find one. Not only will this provide better picture quality via RGB (I assume your tv has a rgb enabled scart socket) it also has an optical out for dull on 5.1 dolby digital surround (as long as your denon is 5.1).

Sorted

3. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    cheers dude:D

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even better would be a component cable for your Xbox. The Tosh 36ZP18 has component in (it doesn't support progressive scan), it is slighly better tha RGB Scart. If you can't find a component cable for your Xbox (you'll have to order online for one) then don't worry about it. The RGB scart image will still be top.

5. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    cheers neo
    got the advanced scart lead with optical connection, seems to be a very good picture and sound so might leave it at that,dvd has component lead, will then have to get switches and so on.
    thanks anyway.

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always use your 3802 as a component switching box.

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army Bloke, you could but then you wouldn't have the best picture quality. None of the receivers I know of supports RGB Scart, only S-Video and Composite which offers inferior picture quality to RGB Scart. I can't remember if any support component or not.. If so it would be rather useful.

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an xbox but I'll assume that it dosen't do straight component out? Just like the GC, which I do have.

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I guess it's a bit late if you've bought an RGB cable, but you could be the US component and optical cable, routed into your 3802, and then using component out the the TV. the 3802 would switch between the two - dvd and xbox, and switch sound at the same time. I don't notice any picture degradation doing it this way.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bonesy, are you sure the 3802 supports component cables? (not composite?). There is a difference... The composite cables are Red, White, and Yellow. Component are video only cables that give you pretty much the best image quality (bar VGA).

If it does then its all good, use the receiver to act as a bridge. If not then just do what Bonesy said - Optical to receiver, component to TV.

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3802 does support component video. It has 2 inputs and 1 output. Hence my use your 3802 as a switchbox.;) :p

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah good. Most of the peeps I know of offline can't tell the difference between the two ^_^ I guess I haven't looked into it since I only own a Marantz SR4200, I'll probably sell that on and get the new models coming out soon. All I need now is a component switchbox...

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't help you there I'm afraid. I have the Marantz 5200 and that dosen't have component in so you are probably going to have to go up a couple of models.

14. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    barrykil

Same amp and tv as me mate nice choice.
    I would just like to confirm the denon avr 3802 amp has 2 component input and 1 outputs.(bloody amazing it is two).

barrykil I would recommend you buy the US High Deff pack for your xbox,I have compared RGB scart and component with the toshiba and the component cable is slightly better with better colour seperation and defenition.
    Forget s-video inferior to both the above.

This is only my opinion but I stand by it.

Neoblade

Have you got your new tosh tv yet?:D

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fuzzybee, haven't seen you post for some time ^_^ Nah I haven't got my Tosh yet mate... DAMN annoying. I phoned up and was told that instead of the 7th July date, I would have to wait until the end of the month!

Sods law I guess, everyone else is enjoying their 32" Tosh and I'll have to wait. I suppose it'll give me more time to buy that US/Asian Philips Q50 DVD player...

16. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    so lads,got the advance scart with optical lead connected the picture is very good,how would i connect it up with component switching the dvd + xbox only got one set of component leads,tv and xbox is over 2mts away from the amp.
    bearing in mind this system is only going to be used at weekends cause we use the tv during the week, he then uses it in his bedroom at weekdays, is it going to be any more expensive going down the component route
    hope this makes sense,thanks for any advice

17. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    barrykil

If your happy with the scart stay with that but if you do want component just connect both xbox and dvd to your amp and then your amp to the input on your tv.

The high def pack will cost you about £30 -£40 from lik-sang or other import games stores?

Neoblade

sorry to hear you have not got your tv yet mate but it will be worth it in the end

:D :D :D

18. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barrykil, 2m isn't too bad for a component lead. I'm sure you can get them at that length at a good audio/visual store. If you have a decent sized screen and want the best image, prog.scan is the way to go. Mind you, you forgot to mention if your TV can support prog.scan or not... If so (and its a UK Xbox) you need to have it chipped and then use a boot disk. From there its gaming heaven.

Fuzzybee, I hope so mate. Actually its not too long now for the new TV, but I've ordered the replacement last month >_< Can't wait to try out some Gamecube games on it, and once I have a suitable DVD player... ^_^ I need to order Eternal Darkness anyway, but at least my pre-order for Mario is done.

19. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    FYI,

I got a mate in San Fran to bring over a US Xbox and a hidef connection lead (gives component and optical- $29), and Halo.

The US xbox does 470p - progressive scan output.

I use the hidef lead to connect it into my 2802 amp component inputs.
    I will connect a Denon 2800 dvd player into the second set of component inputs.

The 2802 allows you to then select either of these inputs, to output via the set of component outputs. This is connected using 10m of vandamne component cables (£35 from the media factory)
    to my Panny ae100 projector, which accepts progressive scan signals, and projects onto my 9foot wide screen.

Halo is just slightly mind-blowing. very crisp, and the grenades thru my 250w amp are hilarous.

The 10m component leads do not seem to degrade picture quality, although you can pay a fortune for these.
    The extra connection of going through the amp also does not seem to degrade the picture, and on a 9' screen, I guess you'd be likely spot any degradation.

Barrykil, you'd be paying £40 on cables for perhaps a slightly/ neglibily better picture, and some extra convenience, and perhaps an intangible feeling of getting 'full' use out of the 3802.
    Not sure, if it's worth it.

20. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thanks
    like you say bonesy think i`ll leave it as it is for the time being, and yes halo is something else. cheers