1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox vs Pioneer putting me off HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NaTT, Jan 20, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've just done an A/B test of my albeit old Pioneer DV717 and my X-Box.
    Both were hooked up to my Yamaha A2 amp digitally, the X-box using an optical lead (attached to the advaced scart) and the DVD player on coax.

As with others like for like test, I was able to find 2 identical original CD and DVD tracks and found similar (ish) results. Obviously I've note gong full-on HCPC yet and am using the xbox as an approximation.

Audio.
    Firstly I would not have noticed the difference if I'd had to swap the CDs between trays. But toggling the input on the amp meant that even my wife could tell the difference.
    My old Pioneer gives much richer sound.
    If I were to sit down to listen to an album I would dig out the CD. I couldn't retire that box. (and I'd like to get an all in one solution)
    However I've ripped all my CDs to my PC in the other room and can stream these to the X-box using the XBMP. This is very good for parties etc and letting people choose the music.

Video
    This is what annoyed me. The DVD player is quite old and the x-box gives a much better picture (both attached to a 32in Sony CRT using RGB over SCART), in that the Pioneer suffers terribly from "jaggedies" that I'd not noticed before :(

Am I likely to get Audio as good as an old Pioneer from an HCPC set-up? Or would I be better off buying a half decent DVD player and remaining on the fringes of HCPC until I stump up for a Plasma or projector?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

The full benefits of a HCPC are only when used via VGA or DVI with a plasma of projector.

:smoke:

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I see what you're getting at,Kramer,but wouldn't say the benefits of HCPC are confined to projectors or plasmas...mine runs our RPTV,with very nice results(I thought about a projector for a while,until my wife found out!)and it also works as the front end for CD replay,and music storage,and the convenience and performance are much better than I'd expected.

On the audio side of things,a properly configured HCPC with a good sound card can be way ahead of a DVD player.

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i found the same things as NaTT. Picture was pixel-by-pixel identicle to my old tosh sd-210e, but music replay is actually quite bad.

I still use my pc for music reply (nf7-s via co-ax to my yamaha) but my xbox does everything else now.

Im thinking about building a shuttle-based pc to do the lot but after al of the problems ive read about them i dont think i'll bother just yet.

5. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Audio
    So a HCPC with a decent sound card could do a better job than the x-box on sound? What about as good as a Pioneer DV717 (it's not high end but sounds great compared to x-box)?
    If I'm doing sound processing in my Yamaha Amp what's the best sound card to go for, would an onbaord one like in Shuttles be OK?

Video
    The x-box is set up for RGB over scart, no hassles. What card and cables would give a close approximation of this or better?

6. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    how many people here with HCPCs have a normal CRT TV with SCART imnputs?

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba Sd210 and have compared X Box pictures to my Toshiba and can say with confidence the Toshiba outclasses it on picture and sound quality, the X Box lacks fine detail and soundwise its much poorer.

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    mine is a pixel-match for my sd210 lol. i even went so far as to use 2 copies of the mummy returns and couldnt see any difference at all.

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oooops mines a Toshiba Sd220 but still picture is better than the X Box and i assume the 210E is practically identical to my 220 model.

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    it is - i tested my friends 220e againsts my 210 lol.

odd:)