Answered Xbox vs dedicated player

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by pjanjua, Aug 5, 2017.

1. pjanjua

pjanjua

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +57
      Can any xbox owners who have a dedicated player offer some views on the actual difference between the dedicated 4k player and the xbox ome s 4k player?

Need another player but dont want to fork out £300+ on a new player when i have been offered a free xbox one s as part of my phone upgrade with EE. Am i better off looking for stand alone player and getting a better contract

I have managed to find one review on what-hifi that really goes to town on berating the player capabilities but other reviews that have said its as good as all but the most highly rated players at 2 or 3 times the cost

Been to local currys and was refused, due to "staffing and hassle", to get a demo of the 2 side by side

Any views would be appreciative

2. Best Answer:
      Post #16 by Pugs1, Sep 27, 2017 (1 points)
    3. RRRuss

RRRuss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      The Xbox is decent picture quality wise but I've had a few issues with some discs stuttering and having audio sync issues - noticed it last night on Magnificent 7 which plays without issues on my Sony X800

The controller isn't ideal but you can get the media remote for it for £18 or so

Generally when watching a 4K disc I'll reach for the Sony every time. That said, I do have issues with Netflix on the Sony but don't have the same issues on the Xbox.

Also, some people, myself included, have issues with fan noise on the Xbox. It's ok now it's in a cabinet but previously on an open rack the fan noise was excessive and not something I could live with to watch films tbh.

Sorry that it's not a definitive answer but if yiu want guaranteed big free, quiet 4K playback from a BD then I'd get a dedicated machine. That said, if you get lucky with a quiet One S then quality wise it's the same.

4. pjanjua

pjanjua

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +57
      Cheers for the info....I may just get it anyway if its no good i can always sell it on to help towards a dedicated player

5. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,349
      Value of the Xbox is great, but yes - I too get that annoying stutter, seems to happen once per disc. Not sure if there's some dodgy Xbox's about or if they all have this issue.

That aside, the biggest advantage for a dedicated player would be for a dedicated HDMI audio output, which is something the S, nor the X, looks to be offering. Only really appeals if you don't want to upgrade your sound system to a 4K/HDR compatible one.

6. pjanjua

pjanjua

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +57
      Output would be direct to a 4k tv wo no troubles there. It was more so about thw quality of the overall picture and audio output.

Like i said i was a little wary having had no previous experience with Xbox as i have always had Playstations and not being able to actually demo 4k on the xbox one s.

Seems picture quality is nothing to frown upon and as its the back room which doesnt get used as much now i have converted my garage... i was thinking might just go ahead with it anyway.

Cheers for the info though as i was just begrudging spending another £300+ on another player that wasnt going to get frequent use

7. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,349
      Yeah, the Xbox is super appealing for the price point. Obviously if you're into films more than games then a dedicated player is the best choice. Still, for less than most dedicated players the Xbox One S offers 4K HDR disc playback, HDR gaming and Netflix/Amazon in 4K/HDR - but your TV probably does that anyway. It's just the infrequent video stutter that can be annoying on the 4K discs.

I keep hoping it's something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

8. Beezy

Beezy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +301
      I was in a similar mind as yourself and ended up buying a one s for £180 off the classifieds here. Have only watched a couple of UHD films on it but the quality to me is great, I did have a stutter or two last night when watching fantastic beasts as others have said. There is some fan noise that comes from it but I just turn up the soundbar so it can't be heard.

I do like gaming as well and having only had a ps4 this generation the option to play the xbox exclusives and have a UHD player both in one was what swayed me over paying more for just a dedicated player. Well worth it in my opinion

9. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,799
      A bit late to this discussion, but I thought I'd give my input after switching from using my X1 to my dedicated blu-ray player.
      It wasn't anything to do with picture quality or performance, and more to do with certain features not working on X1, plus having to keep switching out discs between gaming and watching blu-rays.

The feature which wasn't working was discs not continuing from where I left off when watching TV boxsets.
      When watching something like Sons of Anarchy, which uses a "season mode" that allows you to pick up from exactly where you left off when stopping, and even allowing a continuous playback between discs(skipping from one episode on disc 1 to the next on disc 2 allows you to skip having to go through menus etc. on disc 2).
      Features like this, which work on my dedicated blu-ray player, don't seem to work on Xbox One.

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +246
      I made the switch from using my XBox One S to a Panasonic UB700 for a couple of reasons.

The first, main one, was that every UHD I played would, at least once during playback, seem to stutter for a second or two whilst the sound carried on and then the picture would catch up. It was only for a second as a I say but, after a few movies, it really started to bug me.

The other reason was that, after demoing a UB900, I realised that the upscaling of SD BD's was better than on the XBox...and I still have a lot that I watch.

Ironically, the UB700 got rid of the stutter problem but seems to have an issue of it's where there is a very slight frame jump once or twice during watching:suicide:

11. Misguided

Misguided

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Hi, I use an Xbox as a media centre (just the normal one not xbox one s) and noticed some issues with Dolby Atmos. The content played on bluray using bitstream pass through from the bluray player is fine but when using the dolby atmos setting for Netflix I have noticed the signal does not change down from atmos. Basically whatever is played on the xbox or using the pass through feature is shown as atmos regardless of the source material, the xbox is not upscaling the source to atmos it just making my amp think atmos is being played when only the front two channels are being used (in the case of stereo). The problem is as there is an atmos signal being received by my amp it does not try to upscale it to prologic or dts x so I lose out on some sound features my amp can do (Denon 2300). The way round this is to switch the xbox back to outputting 7.1 or 5.1 when atmos is not being used or don't use the passthrough feature.

12. SLS72

SLS72

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +172
      I've got the One S since it was the cheapest 4K player at the time but I don't like it to be honest. It stutters, far too noisy and I don't like the dedicated media remote either. I'll buy a Sony X800 to replace it when I can.

13. NatTheGooner

NatTheGooner

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      The xbox as just a disc player is horrible. My family won't touch it and the media remote is annoying. The menus are a mess. It was the cheapest way to play UHDs when I bought it but I'm already looking to sell it for and get a "proper" family friendly player.

14. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,929
      Personally, I think it really depends on your set-up and how likely you are to be buying and watching 4k HDR Blurays. It lacks the ability to send Audio separately to an AV receiver so ideally you want a 4k HDR Atmos receiver to pass the video through to get the Atmos audio and if your AV receiver Atmos can't pass 4k HDR, the best you can hope for is ARC or optical quality Audio (compressed 5.1) Loading and navigation is obviously not as good as a dedicated player but you can buy a separate media remote if you want.

In terms of PQ and Atmos Audio, if you have the right set-up, the Xbox is certainly as good as any other. I don't hear mine in general during playback - but it can depend on how far away you are and the surface its on. It is 'noisier' in general but not so noisy that its noticeable in my set-up - even in quiet moments.

If you intend to invest in a lot of Blurays, then it would make more sense to buy a dedicated player. They are generally easier and quieter and have more options when it comes to set-up. Having the option to send Audio directly to a receiver and video direct to a TV is great if you haven't got 4k HDR passthrough so set-up may determine your choice anyway - the XB1 only benefits those with 4k HDR passthrough - unless you find ARC/Optical audio quality acceptable.

The Xbox though is still superb and a 'great' option for the more casual or occasional viewer but you must remember its primary function is as a games console. Its probably not the ideal option for someone who is looking for a Player first and foremost and see the 'gaming' as a 'bonus'. It can still function this way for a lot of people and will suffice - especially whilst they may not be watching a lot of Blurays until they have amassed a collection and by which time, dedicated players could well be cheaper and more widespread. The price of these does seem to have dropped on average too.

Point is, it really depends on the person, their set-up, their budget and whether or not they are looking for a 4k HDR Bluray player first and foremost or not. As stated the Xbox can fulfil the role of the 'dedicated' player with some minor compromises like load times, navigation, slightly more noise etc and maybe major if your don't have the set-up - ie an Atmos set-up but no 4k HDR passthrough - you lose Atmos audio and have to settle for 5.1 at best. That being said, it can still be a 'great' option too whilst you build up a library and has the added bonus of being a decent games console too although I expect the upcoming Xbox One X to fulfil the 4k gaming side far better than the 'Slim' or even the PS4 Pro - at least on comparable games. Therefore there is no 'one answer' for all.

15. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +56
      I find the one s fine for 4k blu rays

I use a harmony remote

Some great exclusives like gears and forza too if you like gaming

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,742
      I bought the xbox one s, but then I went out and bought the Oppo 203. I didn’t do that because I like spending money, I find the Xbox a frustrating player. Sure if I was a teenager in my bedroom it would suffice. But not in the living room to me.

17. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Best Answer
      I thought that the argument couple of years ago, is it doesn't matter what player you have since it's all digital 0 and 1's. Thats what some said when people had top of the range OPPO's compared to a 100 quid player...just a thought.

Still, I feel bluray is frustrating fullstop, HD-DVD should have won the wars..much quicker to load and didn't rely on Java!!!...lol