XBOX vs. Apple TV/Boxee + Slingbox??

ensyed

I have a plasma monitor which is currently not being used. I use netgear homeplugs everywhere to extend the LAN.
I have a couple of options

1) Get a XBOX or PS3 to extend the mediacenter I have in the main lounge. This would allow me to view live/recorded TV from Sky which is hooked up to the media center plus stream non-apple DRM files

2) Get an Apple TV hacked with Boxee... this will allow me to view all Apple format media plus internet TV such as BBC iplayer stuff but no live TV. Unless I use it in conjunction with slingbox to view Sky from another room. I am not sure if this last bit is possible.
Can a sling user enlighten me please

Also which system is more headache free and gives a better picture.
Any advice??

THX

fourtears

Hacking an apple TV is not as easy as it sounds. I would only go down that route if you are into hacking stuff for the sake of it, rather than as a means to an end.

Adsters

Standard Member
The hacking of the apple tv is easy,

1. you can now download the required pack from boxee,
2. put it on a usb stick,
3. plug it into the back of the apple tv and switch it on (software then installs)
4. reboot and boxee is now up and running.

I have been using boxee to stream media files from a USB disk (SMB share) connected to the apple extreme. Makes apple tv a must smarter piece of kit.

If you need help let me know

ensyed

Hi Adsters

I have hacked my iphone but not much else. I think I could put Boxee on the Appletv. My question is

1) Will Boxee allow me to run slingplayer on the Appletv to view stuff, recorded on Sky HD, in a different room. If this is a no go I might have to spring for a macmini or Dell Studio pc
2) What format files can be played via Boxee? Do I have to rip everything to a particular format? My mediacenter pc records in dvsmr. I have ripped DVDs to vts format but could re-rip to something else as I only have a few dozen.
3) I anticipate a bluray burner in my future... I will then rip my blurays (currently play via standalone player) to some format.

THX a lot for your help

_Irv_

Standard Member
2) What format files can be played via Boxee? Do I have to rip everything to a particular format? My mediacenter pc records in dvsmr. I have ripped DVDs to vts format but could re-rip to something else as I only have a few dozen.

Format support

Boxee can be used to play/view practically all common multimedia formats. It can decode these in software and optionally pass-through AC3/DTS audio from movies directly to S/PDIF output to an external audio-amplifier/receiver.

Supported formats/codecs:

* Physical media: CDs, DVDs, Video CDs (including DVD-Video, VCD/SVCD and Audio-CD/CDDA)
* Container formats: AVI, MPG/MPEG, WMV, ASF, FLV, MKV, MOV, MP4, M4A, AAC, NUT, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia RAM/RM/RV/RA/RMVB, 3GP, VIVO, PVA, NUV, NSV, NSA, FLI, FLC, and DVR-MS (beta support)
* Video codecs: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (SP and ASP, including DivX, XviD, 3ivx, DV, H.263), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, including Nero Digital and x264), HuffYUV, Indeo, MJPEG, RealVideo, QuickTime, Sorenson, WMV, Cinepak,
* Audio codecs: AIFF, WAV/WAVE, MP2, MP3, AAC, AACplus, AC3, DTS, ALAC, AMR, FLAC, Monkey's Audio (APE), RealAudio, SHN, WavPack, MPC/Musepack/Mpeg+, Speex, Vorbis and WMA.
* Digital picture/image formats: BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, MNG, ICO, PCX and Targa/TGA
* Subtitle formats: AQTitle, ASS/SSA, CC, JACOsub, MicroDVD, MPsub, OGM, PJS, RT, SMI, SRT, SUB, VOBsub, VPlayer

Boxee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It'll play up to 720p, I'm also considering getting an apple TV, i've had xbmc for years its based on the same architecture and the only problem i've ever had with xbmc is that it cant cope with HD content.

ensyed

THX Irv for your detailed answer.
One more question.
Is it possible to run slingplayer on a hacked ATV?
THX

Adsters

Standard Member
ensyed

I don't really know anything about slingplayer? I would direct that question to the forum at boxee.tv

I have an xbox360 and apple tv, and for streaming media from both local storage and from the internet, apple tv with boxee wins hands down!!

I have all my media players running through my AV receiver including apple tv (boxee) and yes I think apple tv only supports up to 720p. (all my media sources are upscaled to 1080p via my AV reciever)

If you are planning to burn HD content to disk and stream via apple tv, make sure you have a good network and fast storage. I have HD movies stored on a 1TB usb disk (hooked up to the airport extreme) and the usb transfer rate is not really up to the job!

I would recommend getting a proper networked storage unit, (my next upgrade I think!)

Boxee will run on any mac, so if you can stump up the extra cash for the mac mini, then I would maybe think about that as an option.

To run boxee you need to register with boxee.tv, but you will need someone to invite you. I can send this invite if required.

Anyway, good luck, I hope I have been some help.

Adsters
AV-KIT , Samsung Rotel RSX-1550, Samsung LE52A866S1M, KEF 5005.2W, Samsung BD-P1500, Apple TV, Airport Extreme, Xbox360, Macbook Air.

Oh and the xbox360 is noisy as hell, apple tv is super quiet, although can get a little hot!

Last edited:

ensyed

Thank you Adsters.

I am going to move all my content to a QNAP NAS as soon as I figure out how to transfer all my iTunes library to it. All the pcs/macs and NAS will be connected via Netgear HDX Homeplugs.

I like the idea of AppleTV but I believe in order to stream

1) Ripped DVDs
2) DRMed content purchased from Apple
and
3) Slingplayer (bc I have 2 slingboxes in other places)

the only real option is Mac Mini

My concern here is that once I start ripping my Blurays the Mac Mini may not be able to handle it.

Adsters

Standard Member
ensyed

Apple tv will cover items 1 and 2, but not item 3, as far as I can tell slingplayer (or intergration to) is not available via apple tv or boxee.

Good luck with the setup,

Adsters
AV-KIT , Rotel RSX-1550, Samsung LE52A866S1M, KEF 5005.2W, Samsung BD-P1500, Apple TV, Airport Extreme, Xbox360, Macbook Air.

Oh and by using the mac mini you can browse the internet, which you cannot do with apple tv even with boxee installed!, (but you can connect and view internet media sources such as HULU, bbc iplayer and Youtube)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom