1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox via RGB = Blurry mess !!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by jerkyboy, Jun 10, 2004.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me or is the Xbox via RGB scart a bit on the blurry side.

I have tried many scart leads including the official one and the expensive "Monster Cables" one but neither produce a picture as sharp as my PS2.

I am hoping to try Component leads soon and get my Xbox modded so it will output Progressive scan. Why the hell microsoft dont include this option as standard is a mystery to me.

Hopefully this will sharpen things up. :clap:

2. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i know what you mean, im using the official one as well.
    Anyone know if there is a sharper RGB cable around. I was tempted to get the Ixos one but found out there is no optical cable slot so thats out of the question.

3. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Mine is fine, certainly no worse than the other consoles. I'm using the official one to get the 5.1 sound, and the image is solid, bright and detailed. How are you connecting your consoles up? The PS2 in the RGB scart socket, and the Xbox in the composite socket perchance? :)

4. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i am using the official xbox rgb scart and my picture is nice and sharp and no worse than any other console i have had plugged in using the rgb enabled scart socket on the tv.

5. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Are you sure the scart socket on your TV is scart wired. Alot of TVs with more than one scart socket still only have one of them wired for RGB. I'm using a RGB scart on my Xbox and in the correct socket the picture in excelent in the other socket however it leaves alot to be desired.

6. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've noticed the Xbox RGB picture is much worse than other consoles (particularly the DC and GC)

I've used at least 3 different Xboxes in a variety of TVs, plasmas and projectors and I've always thought the image was washed-out, dull and very lifeless especially compared against the Dreamcast

7. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep,
    Im with you on that one RL123.
    In terms of sharpness.(top being best)

Dreamcast
    Playstation2
    GameCube
    Xbox

All of my consoles are running through RGB scart all official, And all using the Correct Scart socket on the back of my TV.
    I heard it was something to do with the Xbox contrast setting, it seems very low compared to the other consoles, this is the most evident in the xbox boot up screen where it says Microsoft at the bottom.
    Blurry mess, not sharp at all unlike the dreamcast and ps2.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    I really dont think the video output stage on the Xbox is up to much at all. Just look at any of the Sega consoles compared with it, they always have a really nice crisp output.

Buying cables won't make any difference, the RGB is just blurry, the better the display device the worse it gets :(

9. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I want to know is how the hell do the magazines get screenshots that look so sharp, they look like PC games !!.

10. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Photoshop?:thumbsdow :rolleyes:

You just have to look at the resolution of the screens to see they've been 'touched up', particularly with online images. PS2 games are just as bad as Xbox games with doing this as well...

11. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Are you guys confusing 'blurry' with 'anti-aliased'? The Xbox is powerful enough to have detailed graphics, and then filter them enough so the screen isn't digitally flickery/buzzy, and there are no obvious 'jaggies'. The PS2 can't do this, so the graphics may look sharper, in as much as you're seeing unprocessed polygons and textures. Compare Rallisport 2 with GT4, and GT4 is a mess.

I just took a screen shot on my PC in normal PAL resolution thru a composite cable, it looks fine. Scale it up to 300dpi necessary for print, and it would be fine for a magazine. I really doubt they deviously process the shots for the mags... i mean, where is the function in photoshop to add detail?! :D

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't mean magazines do this, developers do. They release 'in-game' material at 1600x1200 resolution or higher and expect people to believe the finished game will look that good

We're saying the Xbox's RGB output is poor, so taking screen grabs through a composite cable isn't going to show anything useful for this. The S-video image is better than RGB, IMO, with most games - or at least equal to viewing a game through RGB scart. It's nothing to do with AA, Idon't know what causes it but it's like it is much more dull than RGB output from other consoles (like the colour setting has been turned down)

13. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Jerkyboy originally mentioned magazine screenshots. I did it with composite cos thats all i have hooked up to my pc, and i mentioned it cos if i can do a decent screenshot with this, i am sure magazines can get something better with a better hook-up.

Early developer released 'screenshots' are pretty much always pre-renders, i don't know if they expect us to believe they're real :D

How are you hooking up your consoles? I've tried a variety of ways, including those all in one console leads, to cheap maplins svideo switchers, to the trilogy scart switcher. It looked different everytime, but now it goes straight thru my DVD into the TV. It's as direct as i can get it (without messing with cables all the time) and i really think its a good picture. Regardless of my idea of quality vs yours, i certainly don't think my PS2 or GameCube is any better hooked up the same way.

Do you have PAL-60 enabled on the Xbox dashboard? Is your TV happy with this?

14. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    let me explain:

The early screen shots you see for any console be it ps2,xbox or gamecube. Are all ingame screenshots but they are running through a dev machine, basically what this is, is a suped up xbox or ps2 with more ram and a few other things.

All the devs do is Add Antialising and anastropic filtering too the game and in most cases up the resolution to insane quality. This is why the first screens of a game you see are allways better than when you finnally own the copy and play it at home.

As for magazine, i imagin that the shots you see in mags are usally smaller than your tv, Unless you own a 2 inch TV and so it simple hides all the problems you will be seeing.

15. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm not sure that's right... dev machines as far as i am aware are only capable of what the console is capable of, but with enhanced abilities like PC hook-up or reading 'unofficial' discs (any country, CDRW etc). There would be no point developing on a machine that is better than the end product :) The higher quality early shots probably come from 3D studio max, or whatever package the company is developing the characters and environments in.

As for the magazine, you need really high definition for print. So while it's only 2 inches, for that 2 inches to look good, they would probably need 3 or 4 times the resolution of PAL to make up the DPI. I had to supply an 'small' image for an advert recently, and to meet the quality requirements, the file was like an 8mb TIFF file, so we're not talking about using a 150k jpeg here :)

16. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    xbox dev machine have 128 meg ram and a few other ports on the back, for linking dev programs up and so on, and can do all the enhancements i mentioned.
    I used to work for EA, its true.

17. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I doubt 64meg of extra ram allows the xbox to be suddenly capable of 1600x1200 :D

18. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just to say, I have my xbox running through my sky+. This is connected to my PW6 via the RGB2VGA convertor and I find the picture to be excellent. Its not 'as' sharp as my old sony crt tv but then thats probably as the picture is much bigger but the seating distance is the same.

19. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1600 x 1200 is a bit high but even 800x600 would make the picture look a lot better.

Are you saying that your RGB2VGA converter inproves the picture even more ?

20. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The mags usually use HDTV shots....

I too notice my xbox being blurrier, I put it down to the GAME branded RGB cable though.... but maybe not.....

21. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whilst I agree with what you're saying, what we used when I worked in the games industry on PS1 games, is load up a recorded session of the game (the ones we used for the attract mode - y'know when you leave the game on the title screen and it plays the game so you can see what it's like) and turn off the screen display, render each RGB frame directly to the PC's disk in hi-res mode (PS1 - so hi-res was 640 x 512 interlaced PAL - 576 lines with overscan). Instant RGB clean screen shots, not at all achievable in 60fps in our game in realtime.

Gunrock