XBox via Lan problem

towser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully some kind soul can shed some light on my problem.

I have a Thompson router (supplied by BeThere) and various items connected both wirelessly and via lan cable.

Now Yesterday I purchased a NetGear GS605 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, I connected this to my router and XBox 360 with straight ethernet cables, but the XBox would not connect to the internet, so I removed the GS605 and connected direct with the cable, still nothing.

I tested the cable and it works fine when plugged into my BD player and my Technomate Sat receiver.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

Ron

Is this the first time you've tried connecting the Xbox to your network? Has it worked before?

Connecting a switch in the way you've described should just work.

yes, I have it connected with a belkin wireless adaptor and it works fine, just my son drives me mad saying it 'lags' he tells me he connected it once direct with a short lan cable and it worked straight away, the cable I am now trying to use is 30 metre's

Ron

yes the lights on the switch and the router light to say a connection is made but cant get any 'traffic' to pass through the cable.

I have also tried connecting the cable direct without the switch and it is the same, although the cable works on other things as I have checked it.

Ron

is your xbox set for static ip or dhcp?

Static IP, everything on my network is static IP, I have 12 other items on the network besides the XBox.

Ron

If you use the web browser on the router, you can setup that device as a gaming console. The o2/BeThere routers have pre-set configurations for various devices. I recently setup my XBox on one & it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately it was the only thing that worked well on the router, so it's now back in the box only to be used as a crap backup.

Thanks, I already did that as I have had it working whilst connected to a belkin wireless adaptor, its just I can't seem to get it working with a direct connection.

Ron

just bumping this back up just in case someone who hasn't seen it yet can help.

Ron

well I came home from work tonight, plugged everything in exactly as the other night and it worked straight away:clap: at a loss as to why it didnt work previously though.

Ron

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom