1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox UK Or USA?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Jenz, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that the USA XBox can be purchased for a reasonable price now and that the UK machine is also imminent what are your views on which machine to buy - US or UK?

There doesn't seem much price difference in the Games although obviously the US Titles tend to be released earlier. However some UK Titles have been improved over their US Counterparts like DOA3.

One area that concerns me is Broadband connectivity in that the USA machine may not be able to do it in the UK? But I'm also concerned about reduction in output resolutions of the UK unit for Projectors.

Any views?

Jenz.

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz,

What improvements have been made in the UK version of DOA3?

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the mods were pretty simple: a couple new outfits. I'm not sure if any extra levels were included.

4. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is a question I've been giving some thought to as well. I'm not so worried about game availability, more the early indications that the UK box will not support progressive scan outputs via the high definition kit. As I want to use the console on a projector that supports progressive scan this is nudging me towards getting a US one.

The problem is that availabilty/price/shipping from the states all seem to be a bit of a pain - not to mention customs charges! There aren't that many available through the auctions in the UK and people still seem to want silly money.

I also wondered whether or not there would be problems connecting to the European online gaming servers, but I guess shooting Yanks is as much fun as French/Germans/Dutch, ect ;)

EffTee

5. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    If you're worried about getting hold of US games/consoles, Movietyme (one of the new sponsors) have now started selling them.

US console £300, US games £45.

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have a similar dilema - to buy either a UK GC or Xbox, based on their ability to provide prog scan to my Panny proj.

My reading around led me to believe that the UK Xbox would support Progressive scan. Do you have references to where it implies they don't? Shall I email microsoft?

Alternatively, we could use an iscan pro, more expensive, but would probably give a good prog scan image.

Museumsteve is very knowledgeable in this area, let's hope he can give us a guiding post,

7. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard conflicting stories about the UK X-box's ability to display prog scan. Some say it can display 480p (but not 720p or 1080i) using the Amercian Hi Def cable, others say it can not at all. The X-Box uses the Conexant video encoder chip, so it would seem strange for MS to take these options out. Iguess we'll find out tomorrow.

Also not all games are confirmed to run at 60hz, but most should. Those that don't should run full screen and full speed, but the FPS will drop if the refresh rate is at 50hz.

As for the broadband option, it's a bit of a lottery atm. It could be better to buy a US machine because the online option is bound to be better supported and available much sooner. Who knows?

Finally, Europe has always traditionally been denied AAA titles that the US and Japan have received. Chrono Cross, Einhander, Xenogears, Sin and Punishment are a few of the recent games on other platforms. Maybe X-Box will be different, but Europe has always been treated as third rate by games publishers and I see no sign of it improving.