Xbox Two?

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by KirkSi, Jun 12, 2018.

1. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Brad Sams (works with Paul Thurrott who reports on Microsoft as a whole) has written an article that states he's seen documents that say that the next Xbox (codenamed Scarlett) is set for a 2020 release. You'll find the article here:

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/161232/microsofts-next-gen-xbox-will-arrive-2020

These guys have some serious contacts at MS and are generally pretty accurate. If it launches towards the end of the year it'll have been 3 years since the One X was released. I was thinking 4 years would be the sweet spot, two is definitely too short, three is marginal, four lets developers get a feel for the machine.

2. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    Definitely see the 2020 release date as I'm pure Sony will be going for the same time frame.

Of course the X was a big jump in hardware power, I think the next console will be pushing the platform forward as a whole. Backwards compatibility will work without a shadow of doubt as Microsoft have pushed for this.

I know people remain sceptical but this time round I really want them to be bold and push technology and how we play our games.

I want them to release the traditional console with a disc drive and hard drive, but I want them to also release a cheaper Streaming only option. Streaming and download options to cost the same, with the same promotions and game pass etc.

They've had enough years now since Onlive and PSNow to perfect how it works

3. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,065
    You don't need a device for streaming. That's the whole point. You could use an iPad, a TV, anything with a screen and an internet connection.

4. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +688
    PS5 will be Oct 2019 with 9 Tflops of power as the necessary hardware will be available for 4K60fps.

Xbox2 will launch the year after with about 10.5 Tflops I reckon, the One X was touted as a premium console, not the natural successor.

5. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    Even better then

It’s only when Spncer said they find it important for XBOX to be a machine under the TV I still envision a small plug in box like with Onlive

6. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,065
    All depends on ryzen CPU availability and price.

2019 seems doubtful for anyone right now for that reason. Bet on 2020 for both.

7. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    As long as I can still play my games the way I do now, with improved performance all round, and no nonsense like we had at the start of this generation, everything should be good.

The main thing I'd like them to do with regards to storage is have a multiple hard drive system.
    Have a smaller "front drive" which contains all the system stuff, and then have a high capacity storage drive for all your content.
    If possible, allow for not only the ability to swap out drives, but maybe have space for 2 removable hard drives.
    And while they're at it, allow for the use of any compatible drive, so you can have solid SSDs installed.
    Personally, I'd much rather have internal than external drives.
    It just looks neater.

I'm not all that tech savvy, so whatever they do RAM, GPU, teraflop wise etc. it should definitely be a significant step up from the X.
    And with BC being something they're leaning on, a disc drive should still be included.
    We want to take our game library's with us, and not everything is available digitally, and/or not everyone is willing to buy games again digitally if they already own them on disc.

8. gunner84

gunner84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Just hope MS put a higher capacity hdd in the consoles, minimum 2tb, be nice not to have to use an external hdd.

9. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Hopefully 8K won't be a thing by 2020, so we'll still be on 4K TVs so game sizes shouldn't go up hugely from where we are now. Textures may improve a bit and hopefully with the extra power over the X we'll get all games in 4K with quite a few in 60fps. I'd expect memory to be GDDR6 and be around 16GB, CPU should be a Zen and GPU will be 10+TFlops.

The interesting bit will be whether it will launch before, after or at the same time as the PS5. MS just made the statement that they're going to have the most powerful hardware going forwards but if they launch before the PS5 then they're leaving themselves open to being behind on 3rd party again. If they launch at the same time then it'll be interesting, MS seem OK with hitting a higher premium price point. Since the launch of the PS3 and mistakes made over price Sony don't seem to want to go over $400.

10. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Whats interesting is if Sony goes on business as usual so Sony may go with just one machine, in others words a clean break from PS4 with a single PS5, then a PS5 Pro down the line later.

The article points out MS on the other hand is considering multiple consoles possible at launch which could give a scenario were tiered consoles will eclipse the PS5 depending upon your budget.
    Treat it like a PC GPU, Xbox 2000 series;

X2900 Elite - top of the line better than anything else CPU/GPU, all the bells and whistles.

X2600 - mid range unit, physical discs, slightly better than XB1X in GPU department, much better in CPU department.

X2300- entry level unit, like 2600 but digital only or streaming only for media & games think AppleTV.

Whatever they do don't call it Xbox Two there are already people making faces at that name.

11. Kravenius

Kravenius
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,243
    I think if it's around 2020, then if they aim for 4k60fps no compromises then most gamers would be happy with that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Interesting interview with Phil here where he talks a bit about future hardware (at around 10 minutes in). Says the balance of CPU to GPU is out of whack with PC and that they can do more around frame rate on console in the future, which is good to hear :thumbsup:

Nite Two at E3 2018: Phil Spencer of Microsoft!

13. Kravenius

Kravenius
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,243
    Pretty spot on, if you look at the visuals of the X then I doubt many would have complaints. It's more the frame rate issues at points which has always been a sticking point on consoles. Traditionally developers (both hardware and software) have been generally been happy to sacrifice frame rate for visual fidelity.

As I said before, I think if you want to strike a real blow in the next hardware round then if you target 4k60fps without compromise then you'll be onto a winner with the console audience. I realise that PC's go even further but consoles have to hit a price point and the cutting edge of PC's will generally always be further ahead.

14. mklion123

mklion123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    We need one console per generation, if pubg is anything to go by then my X is being held back by previous Ones....minimum Hard drive would have to be 4TB, more usb slots as well.
    I'm also ready to ditch the disc drive given I only buy digital now, that would free up space for a couple of extra removable hard drive slots.

15. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    Phil didn't rule out any further aquisitions either. Microsoft really needs it but like he said, it also gives the Halo, Gears and Forza games more space to breath and not come out so frequently

16. N0ddie

N0ddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    MS did have 2 different SKU Xbox 360s back when they launched. The cheper arcade one and the premium. Seemed to work well for them at the time so don't see why it wouldn't in the future.

17. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    I think that actually became a problem because games like GTA IV required a hardrive or certain amount of storage, and a ton of the market didn't have a HDD.

Different SKUs are fine as the main hardware itself is the same.

18. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    If Halo and Gears came out less frequently we’d only get one per generation.

So far both franchise have had only one brand new release this gen.
    I’m not including remastered or spin-offs.
    But even if you do, Gears has only had 2 releases in the 5 years since the X1 has been out, and Halo has had 3.
    Only exactly a yearly release schedule.

19. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    On the topic of whether there’ll be more than one next gen Xbox, it’s an interesting thought. MS could go for one console at around $399, which is the price point that Sony like to hit. In 2020, that might bring a better CPU and GPU over the X and around 9-10TF of total power with maybe 12GB of next gen RAM (GDDR6).

Then they could go for the premium market again. A console at around $599 with a much better CPU and GPU than the X, but in the same family as the $399 next gen console. Using 2020 tech I’d hope for around 12TF of total power with 16GB of next gen RAM. The premium console could have a premium cooling solution like the X so they can push clock speeds of CPU and GPU up as well so they wouldn’t need to have that many more cores/CUs to get the increase in power (they would need more, you won’t get that power difference with just clock speed).

20. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
  21. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,065
    Little confusing still as they are talking about the streaming service supporting any device. But having a dedicated device with some hardware in to minimise latency issues.

How will the service work without that dedicated hardware? I guess not as well.

Anyhow, I think its a smart move IF their streaming device works well enough. If they've pulled that off they'll have an entry level console at ~£100 and a dedicated piece of top of the line hardcore for the core gamers and they can price that higher than Sony potentially without losing the mass market. So could again have more power than the competition.

22. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    I'm guessing like Online, it will have just enough spec in the hardware to help the latency. Probably mean that initially it won't be available as an app on TVs which will go against it with latency

23. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,722
    If Microsoft could get Steam/Valve on board with all games backward compatible.. it'd put sony out of business on the console market ;) Doubt that'll happen though.

I have a feeling the days of consoles are numbered, even the Xbox one 'feels' a little like a pc, the power isn't quite there yet, but it's heading in the right direction.

24. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,604
    I don't think they're numbered. Plenty said before this generation that they were numbered too.

Consoles can't be beaten on price for how good they are.

25. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    i dont think your competitor going out of business is a good thing. it keeps each company on their toes and always trying to provide more for the consumer. many of Microsoft additions and changes this gen have been because they have been forced to act trying to catch up and they will benefit from alot of it next gen

26. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    Wish either Microsoft or Sony would push sooner of their streaming services. Sonys I hear is quite laggy but where I'm going all digital and streaming ATM, I'd love to get rid of my console. An app on AppleTV giving these services would be amazing

27. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,065
    We're miles off a future where streaming is good enough to replace a gamer's console. For a casual market or as a secondary option? Sure. But even with MS' investment and whatnot they are still talking about having a box to do some "local processing" to really make it work.

You can get an app called onecast that lets you stream in your home from your Xbox to your ipad. Given it works on a local network and not via external servers, it still isn't good enough to play online multiplayer without a huge degree of frustration. Or any game that requires relative low latency.

28. mklion123

mklion123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    They need to go with one console, you just have to look at the mess pubg is in with MS trying to make it work on the One and X. All inclusive is just a pipe dream that holds back the more powerful console.....

edit: sorry for repeating myself, didn't realize i'd already posted in this thread.

29. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,065
    Don't agree. It is fine on PC. Your X isn't held back. PUBG is a terrible example, its a poorly optimised game, that started as a garage project and then became huge, made by a team notorious for technically dodgy games.

It doesn't run 60FPS (well) on PC's equivalent to the X's power profile.

Look at it this way. Developers are free to make a game and have it play across systems. So a dev could choose in 2021 to make their game work on the X and its successor. Or just target the successor. Like in PC world. If a game can be developed that runs on the S, X and Xbox 2, why should MS artificially limit that?

30. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,470
    It will be very interesting to see how Microsoft approach the next gen console structure and designated family of devices. I wonder if to minimise confusion for the general masses, who may not be as in tune with the gaming market, they may stick with the "X" prefix ongoing for the premium version of whatever it may be called. So the initial launch model might be Xbox 2 / 720 or whatever as we had Xbox One, then if they follow suit with another mid-gen improved model make it the Xbox 2 / 720 X. When they launched the X they called it that as a throwback to the original Xbox's slogan, no power greater than X or something like that. Maybe they'll retain that X power branding going forward so no matter what generation, the X version will be known as the best.