1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox to TFT Monitor - Totally Confused!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Pinju, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Pinju

Pinju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    First time caller, Brian...brilliant show. :clap:

I've been searching solidly for about 5 hours on this and I'm more confused by the minute! Here's the deal...

I've got a PAL XBox and a TFT monitor. The monitor ONLY has VGA and DVI inputs. Of course, I know the DVI is a non-starter. So it's just the VGA connector left. God help me!

At first I thought I'll just get a Tuner Box for my monitor (AG Neovo E-19 btw.) but I can't seem to source the TV-02 tuner for love nor more, rare as rocking horse poo.

Second thought was a TV card...but there's a whole minefield of confusion there with the likes of lag and varying modes out there.

Third thought was mere cabling. A much simpler option - or so I thought.

I read somewhere that all I need is one of the Microsoft AV Packs and a Component > VGA Adaptor. Is this right? I have a few questions...can I still use the HDAV pack even though it's not supposed to work with PAL (for HDTV anyway), will it just work via PAL OK or just use the AV Pack instead? Will the quality be good/v.good/better with this kind of solution? Lastly, where in the wide world of sports can I get a Component > VGA Adaptor? I've searched high and low and I can't find one.

Is there a better option (apart from just getting a nice new telly!) At this point, if I can't even connect the thing, there's little point in getting it modded just yet!

Any suggestions even :rtfm: will be welcome! Apologies if this has been done before, but even though other threads have been close, I've not found one which I relate to entirely.

Thanks for listening...

Inj (Burnout 3 and Project Gotham Racing 2 await me...)

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    this has been highly commended by the people whov bought one. great quality - check what modes your monitor can support first.
    www.x2vga.com
    thing is this really doesnt work well when not modded, when the xbox is modded it works like a charm and crystal clear apparently (not toooo expensive (£40 ish))

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I ordered one of these last night - don't think you have to mod your box (I think the enigmah video switcher doesn't need to be run on a modded box) - but you do have to change your box to NTSC - will let you know how I get on.

Your TFT will have to be able to support 480p mode.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You won't be able to install Enigmah unless you have a chipped xbox unfortunately (or are able to take advantage of one of the game save hacks available). It's no different to any other aftermarket application... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

K.

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Not a prob - I'll just mod it.

7. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    the x2vga is fantastic-the image quality is actually better than the official Microsoft hi-def component kit (I have used both with a panasonic projector and LCD TV). As stated above it doesn't accept a PAL signal so the xbox must be set to NTSC. Also if a game doesn't support prog scan you can't use it-the game must be 480p at least (but you rarely come across titles which aren't 480p at least). Higher resolutions 720p and 1080i work fine.