1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX to Sony DE445 amp Problem. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Mat303, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Mat303

Mat303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the Advanced scart cable with digital audio cable to hook up to my Sony DE445 amp for Dolby Digital/DTS sound but I just cannot make it work. There's no sound coming through at all. Amp is fine because I have digital sound coming through a coaxial cable from my DVD player. I've tried different settings on the amp but no luck. The XBOX is set up for Dolby digital also, so I don't know what else to try. Heeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!

2. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds like you might have a faulty cable. Although...

The fact your dvd is connected by coaxial I guess doesn't confirm the optical socket on your amp that your connecting your xbox to is working (I am assuming your xbox sound out is going via optical as is the case with the GAME Scart cable I use)

Have you got anything else you can connect by optical connection into the socket on your amp to confirm this is working OK.

3. Mat303

Mat303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I've not got anything else that uses an optical cable to test the amp with. I've looked in the amps manuel & its got the instructions for the Sony DE545 aswell which has 2 digital optical slots in the back of it, where as mine has just the 1 due to it being a lesser model. They are marked up in the manuel as DVD/LD(the one mine has) & TV/SAT(the extra one mine has'nt). Could that be anything to do with it???

4. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If I understand correct then:

You've only got 1 optical in on the amp and its labelled as DVD in and you've already got your DVD connected by coax to your amp.

Most amps I think now automatically take whichever connection is currently feeding a signal but maybe you need to select coax or optical on your amp in some way.

I have my dvd player connected by coax and my xbox connected by optical both on the DVD channel on my Sony STR-KSL5 amp (nothing special) and everything works fine - eg. I play a dvd and the amp auto-plays the DVD sound or I play on xbox and the amp auto-plays the xbox sound. So in essence I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it but maybe you have to manually switch your amp in some way (I'd check your instructions and check if you need to change a setting or flick a switch to change from coax to optical connection for DVD connection).

Also, have you got an optical cable which you could use to temporarily connect your dvd player to your amp and make sure this optical socket on your amp is working. I still think its worth connecting something other than your xbox to the optical in on the amp which would instantly tell you if its the amp or the xbox/cable at fault.

Has anyone else got any direct experience with this amp to help this guy out ?

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    do you see a bright red light coming out of the xbox scart connector when the xbox is turned on? This could be the reason it is not working. More likely than a decent quality Sony product not working (in my opinion).
    The fact that you didnt mention it implies it may not be working because the output should be really red, really bright and really noticeable!!!!