• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox to Projector Problems - Help!

N

notonmyxbox

Hi all

I think I've been given some bad advice......

On advice I bought an MS HD AV Pack in the hope that I could access higher res on my projector. This is connected to a component to vga cable via couplers. I only have s-vid, composite and vga inputs on my projector.

Plugged in the pack and I only got new audio options - no extra video options.

Don't know what version xbox I have but the manufacture date is 17-01-02.

What are my options for getting a higher res from my projector?

X2vga isn't an ideal route for me ('cluttering up the living room') so I hope I have another option. I've heard talk of a 'BIOS' but no idea what is needed to install.

Hope someone can help.....have tried to find out on another forum but they talk techy to me - i understand English but am not very technically minded.

Malky1903

First off, is your Xbox modded. It will need modified to enable HD output.
Are you sure there's no video options on the HD Pack? The one I have (official MS one) has component out, optical out and standard L&R phono.

N

notonmyxbox

Hi and thanks for the response.

My Xbox is modded for back-ups but not for HD as far as I'm aware - how do I go about it? Is it a case of another mod chip?

When I said video options I meant on the dashboard - sorry.

Malky1903

You'll need a copy of the forums HD mod. Do a search and you'll find it. Chances are there will be a long list but 1. It's free and 2. It's worth the wait.

Clicky

N

notonmyxbox

Yes I noticed that but I live in Denmark - don't know whether that'll be a problem.

So is a mod chip an option if I get inpatient or it isn't possible? If so do you know of one - can you recommend one?

Also what do you know about this enigma disk - having trouble getting it burnt using nero....should it be fairly simple?

Thanks again

scumball

Distinguished Member
My Xbox is modded for back-ups

If it's modded you just need to get the Enigmah Video Switch program (which it sounds like you have - burn UDF DVD, check make XBox compatible, default.xbe in the root of the disc) and make the Xbox NTSC via that. The HD options are only activated when the HD kit is plugged into a NTSC Xbox.

Does your projector accept Component through a VGA (HD15) connector. The MS HD Kit does not output VGA only Component, and using phono couplers will not give you VGA only component through a HD15 connector. IF your PJ only accepts VGA then you will need the X2VGA or X2VGA+ (it's only the X2VGA2 that is bulky....)

N

notonmyxbox

OK - I need to get basic......

I extract the rar file to get the iso and burn the iso to a dvd using the UDF option in nero - correct?

the bit after that threw me completely - check make XBox compatible, default.xbe in the root of the disc - are these things i need to do or are you telling me what this process does?

N

notonmyxbox

Thanks - the dvd decrypter worked!!

As for the other problem my vga port says comp in. But no idea on the HD15 thing. I've tested it after using the enigam disc (enabled the higher res) and things don't seem much different picture wise. will vga give a big improvement?

for example - i used to play mercenaries on my tv. the explosions and so on looked great but through my proj were a bit ropey. so my question is - will i get the pic i used to see on my small tv on the big screen with vga. this may well be a stupid question. while you're at it do you have an opinion on the bext x2vga - i'm just going to have to be in the doghouse if the best one is too bulky.

thanks for your patience

scumball

Distinguished Member
If you are getting a picture through the lead you have made then you don't need the X2VGA - you must be getting component. If you have enabled all the HiDef modes in the XBox dash (480p, 720p & 1080i) then you are getting the best you can.

My suggestion is to try some HD games (Soul Calibur 2, Amped 2 are 720p) - see here for a list.

Mercenaries is only 480p so should look a bit better, but it may not be mind blowingly different....

N

notonmyxbox

ok that's all i need to know - i'm getting the best i can get.

thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom