1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox to Plasma - Green Screen..?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by midniteman, Apr 14, 2003.

1. midniteman

midniteman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    When I connect my xbox to the component input of my Panasonic TH50 plasma with the yellow RCA cable, I do get an image in the RGB mode of the plasma but it is all green!!
    Could somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong as I know it's bound to be my fault as usual!!!
    Thank you all very much in advance for your time (and patience!!)
    :) :)

2. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happens when a plasma is expecting a component input and gets rgb instead. Either change you XBOX to YUV or change the connection on your plasma to scart/rgb

3. midniteman

midniteman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your help!
    Could you please explain how I would do these things please as I'm really only just getting into these things and my knowledge is very, very limited, but thanks to this forum it is slowly getting there!!!
    Sorry to be such a pain, I do try not to be..! :)
    Thank you once again for your help...

4. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a UK xbox then I hear there is a way to get it to output YUV and progressive scan but i am not sure how. It is a hidden menu somewhere.

If you want the image to be normal without havin ght every best picture then you will have to go into the plasma setup and change the video settings for that input.

5. midniteman

midniteman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you churchwa, yes I do have a UK Xbox.
    Does anyone know how to access this menu? Anyone tried it?

6. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, you need to get your Xbox chipped in order to get progressive scan out.

7. midniteman

midniteman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks anyway friend... :)

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've heard of some people getting green images with my RGB to Plasma VGA unit and a non-Microsoft advanced SCART lead - solved by getting the Microsoft Advanced SCART lead!

So, do the same as I do, use the Microsoft cable and either an RGB to Plasma VGA unit or RGB to Component converter.

The way I have the XBox hooked up is at the end of a chain. The XBox goes in to the VCR input of Sky, Sky's TV output goes to the DVD recorder's input, and only from the DVD player are my converter boxes connected. This allows me to connect up several RGB sources.

All the best,

Dr John Sim
    (Halo is currently in the machine - Unreal is on order)

9. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Symanski

Hi I have one of your RGB>VGA convertors into my panasonic plasma, works a treat. Just got round to getting a Xbox. Following on from your reply I have a couple of questions:-

Can I put a scart from the Xbox to my Sky+ box (VCR scart) and then daisy chain into the scart through the Sky+ box?

If so is the picture quality good or would I be better just connecting directly to the plasma by a Xbox > s-video lead?

Also can the Xbox output a RGB signal?

And if so how can I change this on the console without on the on-screen graphics, ie. presumably the console out of the box is not RGB, and my Plasma will only accept RGB through my VGA convertor.

As always any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Warren

10. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Warren,

I daisy chain my XBOX through Sky+ without any problems and the PQ seems fine to me. The SCART lead that comes with the XBOX is only composite though. You need the Advanced AV lead, which outputs RGB. Luckily the Video SCART connection on the Sky+ box accepts and forwards RGB signals even if it only outputs a composite signal.

Another advantage of the AV lead is that it also has optical 5.1 sound output, allowing connection to a surround sound system.

The only issue I have is that I cannot remotely turn the XBOX on/off, so I have to get up to switch from one source to the other.

Alternatively, if you have spare component inputs on your plasma, then you could get a High Def lead from Microsoft (US imported only) or Gamester (various UK high street stores). As the guys have said, you'd need a mod to get a progressive signal out of it, but you will get a decent interlaced component signal without any modification.

Interestingly, when I tried to connect either High Def lead to my VGA connection (using a VGA/BNC lead) I also get a green screen. This is because my VGA input on the plasma cannot be configured to accept a component signal, which is annoying because VGA is my only spare connection. Hence the daisy chaining through Sky+.

Cheers,
    Ian.

11. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ian

I'll give it a go!

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, you can put the MS Advanced SCART in to the VCR input of Sky + (same as myself). The MS Advanced SCART is required (£20ish) as this give you RGB output, as well as digital audio. No need to change any on-screen settings with the cable - it's all done automatically.

Yes, much better than S-Video.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.