1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox to PJ

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MacReady, Jan 23, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I just wanted to make sure I have got this right befor I order the bits I need.

I have got a UK PAL XBox, Sanyo Z2 projector and Yamaha RXV650 amp. To connect my XBox up to the projector/amp I need to get the console modded and the high def pack.

Is that right ? I can get the Xecuter 3 mod on the console and have found a place doing the Hi Def pack at a good price(allthough if anyone knows somehwere that delivers them quite quickly that would be better) ...do I need to buy anything else or is that it ?

My front room is being rebuilt and I just want to make sure I have everything bought and ready for when it is finshed.

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,123
    Yes you need a modded console (although I think you can soft mod it for Hi Def - check out the Xbox Hi Def thread). As you state you also need the Hi-Def pack (bought mine from Lik Sang for about £16.
    If you chip your console you then need the Enigma image converter installed so you can swap from PAL to NTSC. Then you go into M$ Dash and activate the 480p, 720p & 1080i modes. Your console will then output Hi Def stuff! :thumbsup:

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    How would I soft mod it ?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the one area I can't get my head round...I just want to be able to enjoy playing my XBox on an 8ft screen and want the best picture possible from it.

Is the Enigma Image converter a peice of software for the XBox ?

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,123
    Yes the Enigma program is a piece of software that you can install to your x-box. There is a disc called Slayer that you can use to install a full range of useful programs like Enigma, Avalaunch, XBMC etc.

Not sure about how to soft mod it but there's an entire thread dedicated to HiDef on an Xbox here . This should answer all of your questions. :thumbsup:

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks gthom3 :thumbsup:

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    All done now and have got it all hooked up to my Z3....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! playing Soul Calibre 2 is amazing. I need a 1080i game now just to see how good it can look!

Thanks for all the help.

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Soul Calibur 2 is only a 4:3 game so it really wont look anywhere near as good as Halo 2 or something similar!!!! :) ;)

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118

Is Halo 2 480p ? I have tried it and, whilst it looked really good, it didn't seem to be as sharp and smooth looking as Soul Calibre. It is a shame SC is only 4:3 though I agree :(

Out Run 2 looks good too ...in fact all the games I have tried just look awsome when played on an 8ft screen :D

[​IMG]

9. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Halo2 can only manage 480p, which is why Soul Calibur II (720p) looks more detailed.

Given that the panel size of the Z3 is 1280x720, I wouldn't imagine that a 1080i game will look any better than 720p because the picture will have to be downscaled and de-interlaced by the projector.

I have a Z2 myself, and the best picture I have seen so far was from Freedom Fighters which runs 720p, but unlike Sould Calibur II it supports full wide-screen. It looks fantastic!

It's a shame that there are only a couple of other games that support 720p (Tony Hawks Underground and Amped afaik) but I'm looking forward to Xbox2 which I'm told will support HD modes in all games.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,123
    SC2 is 16:9 if you play in 480p so is as good as Halo 2 etc as they are only 480p as well. It has the added benefit of 4:3 720p as well which looks fantastic on a PJ. If you want widescreen though the 480p mode still looks superb!

EDIT: Looking good BTW Cleric! Welcome to the world of Big Screen Gaming!
    :thumbsup:

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Agreed. Best I have seen on my PJ as well. Looks fantastic and the game isnt bad either. If you havent got this game get it, I bet its available cheap.

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Will have to have a look for Freedom Fighters on the pre owned shelf. gthom3, big screen gaming really is still amazing me more than watching movies....and the kids can't get enough of it.

It has curbed my nights of sitting up for hours playing games though...spent just over an hour playing Halo2 the other night and felt a little ill afterwards...can only describe it as being like sea sickness

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Agreed it was great to begin with, I`ve switched back to the Plasma now for Live as I was definately at a disadvantage playing on the big screen. Just too much to take in.

Looks spectacular though and is great for 4 player multiplayer on the footy when the mates are round.

14. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nah if you sit far enough back it is such an advantage, you can see an enemy coming from a mile off! :)

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,123
    Personally i've not looked back after moving to my big screen. I get so much more out of games now & find that I can actually play games better on the PJ than on a TV. I find that games that seemed a bit dull before are now good fun and I enjoy gaming on the whole much more via the PJ.

I also never get any sort of ill feeling through playing on the PJ, even after a marathon PES session (say 6 or 7 hours) with mates.

16. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, apologies for hijacking the thread, but is the same true for playstations and viewing through a projector via an amp?
    thanks

17. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118

Maybe it is just me ...I did get very sea sick on a cruise last year though so I may just be getting flashbacks from that ;)