XBOX to amp HDTV issue

renedecandia

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need help with my Philips DFR9000 digital amp. Basically I have an XBOX 360 attached to it via component which is then connected to my Philips LCD via another component cable. I've set the XBOX cable to HDTV so it sends an HD picture. I've also set my amp to send through a 1080i signal to the LCD. Problem is not picture is coming through. If I connect my XBOX directly to the LCD I can set 1080i no problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Do your other component video sources work on the component input on the TV? (I am presuming you have other component video equipment connected)

Did you assign the input for the Component connection and have you selected it?

Do your other component video sources work on the component input on the TV? (I am presuming you have other component video equipment connected)

Did you assign the input for the Component connection and have you selected it?

Yeah I've attached the XBOX and DVD directly to the same component in on the TV with no problems.

When you say to assign the Component connection are you talking about setting it on the amp or XBOX?

I read the amps user manual and it says the following:

If your TV is equipped with progressive scan component video, connect an optional 3-cinch connection cable to the RGB sockets (22) of your DFR9000.

Now I don't have my TV set to prog scan so could this be the issue? But then again maybe not as my DVD, which was also connected through the amp had no such problems (except for the picture being slightly shifted to the right).

Last edited:
Yeah I've attached the XBOX and DVD directly to the same component in on the TV with no problems.

So, both are connected to the amp and only the DVD works using the component output from amp to TV?

When you say to assign the Component connection are you talking about setting it on the amp or XBOX?

You need to assign inputs on the amp.
I read the amps user manual and it says the following:

If your TV is equipped with progressive scan component video, connect an optional 3-cinch connection cable to the RGB sockets (22) of your DFR9000.

Now I don't have my TV set to prog scan so could this be the issue? But then again maybe not as my DVD, which was also connected through the amp had no such problems (except for the picture being slightly shifted to the right).

The TV will process it automatically and if you have set the resolution to 1080i, then you're obviously not using progressive scan.

It doesn't sound like you have assigned the inputs on the amp, so I would try that first.

Thing is if I switch the XBOX from HDTV to TV it works fine, and if it is on HDTV it displays in 480p. I'll have to go through the amp manual and read up on it.

If anyone has any ideas please post them. I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thing is if I switch the XBOX from HDTV to TV it works fine, and if it is on HDTV it displays in 480p.

So are you now saying that you get a picture when using HDTV on the Xbox but it is 480p not 1080i? Is there a way of leaving the resolution on auto for component video (YpBpR) so that it is passed through automatically rather than setting it to 1080i on the amp?

What cable is connected between the amp and TV, is it a standard component cable (green/blue/red)?

Last edited:
So are you now saying that you get a picture when using HDTV on the Xbox but it is 480p not 1080i? Is there a way of leaving the resolution on auto for component video (YpBpR) so that it is passed through automatically rather than setting it to 1080i on the amp?

What cable is connected between the amp and TV, is it a standard component cable (green/blue/red)?

Yeah I get 480p frm the HDTV connection, but no 720p or 1080i.

My amp doesn't allow for auto setting on component. You have to pick one of 576i/p, 720 or 1080i (I've set it to 1080i).

I've got a standard component cable between the amp and TV. I wasn't aware there were other types?

Does your amp actually support a component video connection (YpbYpr) (three connections RED, GREEN amd BLUE)? As far as I can tell from this manual, its actually a RGBs signal (four connections RED, GREEN, BLUE and YELLOW) it supports, which AIUI is not the same as a YpbYpr signal.

Does your amp actually support a component video connection (YpbYpr) (three connections RED, GREEN amd BLUE)? As far as I can tell from this manual, its actually a RGBs signal (four connections RED, GREEN, BLUE and YELLOW) it supports, which AIUI is not the same as a YpbYpr signal.

Well that's something I've been trying to figure out. If it doesn't then what are my options? Is there another type of cable I should buy?

Why not just connect your xbox to your TV via component and optical to your amp for sound.

Well I think that's my problem. I thought it was a component connection but it's an RGB connection.

One question. What does the yellow connector do?

The yellow is the sync signal.

I'm guessing you don't have a newish xbox or HDMI would be an option?

Nah I've an older model.

Couple of questions:

What does the sync do?

Why would my DVD work ok through the same connection?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom