1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Thomson drive unable to read Evox CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Sun, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me here, I've soft modded my xbox recently and now I want to make the Evox dashboard permanent rather than having to run it via the splinter cell exploit everytime I want to use ftp. The reason I wanted to run it from disc is that I've so far been unable to set the evox dash as the permanent one via the renaming .xbe malarkey. Rather than fiddle around with all the .xbe files and evox.ini settings I figured I would run the slayer 2.6 install disc that I have. This will then install Evox as the main dash, XBMC and a few other useful progs.

The problem I have though is that my xbox is a pre 2003 model with the thomson drive and as a result it's having a fit everytime I put a burnt CD/DVD in it to install slayer. I've followed the correct burning procedures but have now got through 11 discs and all are coming up as unreadable on the xbox. I've tried brand new Maxell CD-R's, Bulkpaq DVD-R's and Verbatim DVD+R's to no avail. I cna't keep buying different packs of media, it's just not cost effective.

Can anyone think of a solution for me? Does anyone have a slayers install disc that has been successfully read on a thomson drive before that they would lend me? I started considering a hardware mod as this could be done for as little as £30 solderless but even then I still won't be able to run the slayers disc and I'll have to start installing things manually via ftp I presume.

Hohum, so many questions.
    Cheers
    Sun

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I don't think you can do what it is your trying to do unless you physically install a mod chip. All softmoding allows you to do is gain access to the HD video outputs, wheras installing a chip will enable you to run XBMC, ftp files, save game to the hard drive etc etc

3. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

No that's not correct, running the softmod now allows me to run the evox dash which incorporates ftp access so that's all already sorted. I can see the contents of my xbox from my pc and can transfer and edit files as I see fit. It does allow me to change the video output as well of course. There may well be some limitations of the softmod over the hardware mod but the ability to ftp and install xbmc is not one of them.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to get Evox installed as my main dash either manually or by getting my thomson drive to read a DVD with the slayer install on it?

Cheers

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    I would imagine swapping out the default.ini for a renamed evox.ini might do it . but I am far from an expert and really have no idea :D .
    Explicit lyrics seems to know a bit you could try a pm to him .
    Have you checked out Xboxscene (usual health warnings apply) . every thing you could want to know , if you ever find it :devil:
    atb
    JS

5. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    thanks johnscarlet, you may well be right on the ini file, I imagine that my original setup problem is something that simple. I have had a look at xboxscene many times over the last few weeks and it's hardly well organised, i've posted over there but have yet to get a response. I may well give Explicit lyrics a pm then see if I can get anywhere.

Really the best thing would be to get some media that the thomson drive would recognise then everything else is mute and I can get on with it all myself. I just wish I knew what would work, I can't buy 1 of every disc available!