• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

xbox system temps

Silas Greenback

Standard Member
Hi all, I’m running XBMC all ok, I have also done the 80mm fan case mod, but does any one know what the acceptable system temperatures should be?

I find that to get an acceptable level of noise whist watching a DVD the CPU is at 70°C is this normal?

Joshm74

Standard Member
The hottest my Xbox CPU temp has ever got to is around 60 deg IIRC with HDD temps around 35 deg C when running XBMC (this is when streaming stuff directly off the HDD). This is with the factory-fitted exhaust fan.

Is your Xbox sitting in a well-ventilated area (by this I mean not stuffed in an AV cabinet with no side or rear openings)?

John

I have the fan controlling the temp . have set it to 55 in XBMC . so far its rarely on

John

Silas Greenback

Standard Member
Hi Guys, thanks for the responce.

I have the Xbox set to the xbox bios default fan speed of about 20%, I can get the temps to 55c or even 45c if the fan is at 100% of the time.

So 55c looks to be the norm, but I find the xbox noisey at this speed (45%)

I'm tempted to go the water cooling route...

John

Silas Greenback said:
I'm tempted to go the water cooling route...

Ci Baroni .

being a Noob , you will never have seen those two legendary words before .
Try a search for Water cooling , put a nappy on and hold onto your sides .
That thread ain't never going to die :D

John

martwho

If you have cut away a bit of the HDD caddy to fit the fan then take my advice and cut away a bit more , i cut all the way from one side to the other exposing the Heatsink (bloody stupid design - sticking a huge plastic plate on top of a heatsink!) anyway it exposes the heatsink thus helping to cool it , also get yourself a round IDE cable as the standard flat thing gets in the way and restricts airflow!
I have a silent coolermaster fan in my box and at full speed i cant hear it and its on all the time and it rarely gets above 55 degrees!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom