1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox = Super Computer

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by annefromuk, Dec 4, 2001.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox has at least three times the graphics performance of the newest generation of game consoles—thanks to the custom designed NVIDIA Xbox GPU, capable of processing more than 1 trillion operations per second.

Xbox Power Facts:

The Xbox has 80 Gigaflops of computing power. That's equivalent to the power found in a Cray C94 supercomputer.

It would take everyone on Earth one hour to calculate what the Xbox calculates every second.

If the HyperTransport link in the Xbox was a pipe carrying water, and every bit of information equalled one gallon, the pipe would fill up the Pacific Ocean every second!

Anne

2. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of curiousity, do you actually have one?

3. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol :D

No, I just like having fun and keeping the fanboys busy.

To be honest, I think all the consoles are good.

But I am going to get my boyfriend to buy me an Xbox for Christmas :)

4. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anne- you really dont learn do you!!!

Current supercomputers are spoken of in Teraflops- thats approx 1000 times quicker than a Gigaflop.

The Cray you are referring to is a 1980s built Super Computer and is underpowered when compared to your average Pentium III or IV desktop PC- hardly a supercomputer by todays standards!!!!

I have dual and quad processor servers that have 5-12 times the processing power of a C94.

Current supercomputers tend to be based on Cluster designs- we have one here for our overnight processing, it essentially consists of tens, hundreds or maybe even thousands of processor all working in tandem.

Our cluster utilises 24 Pentium III Xeon processors with 48gb or RAM and 12 Terabytes of diskspace which we use from our SAN (storage area network- a huuuge shared disk cluster). We benchmark this at 0.6 Teraflops or 600 Gigaflops- the fastest SuperComputer in the world being the IBM Asci SuperComputer running at 7.2 teraflops.

Im not even gonna bother about the graphics because this has already been pointed out to you.

5. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh actually I will- the NVidea can not perform over 1 trillion calculations per second, if it could the graphics card alone would be the 6th fastest Supercomputer in the world, even outperforming the Pentium III CPU.

Keep us fanboys happy please- every comment you make brings a wry smile to my face.

6. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It performs 1 trillion operations per second (I did not say calculations)

Check the Nvidia site.

Anne

7. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey they nicked your quotes!!!!!!

Well operations a second is a bit of a cheat, as an operation can be anything!!! The figures we need are what Nintendo provide and is how many Polygons per second the Nvidea can push with full lighting, texture mapping fx, bump mapping and z-buffering on.

Nintendo say a constant 9-15 million polygons per second with all fx on, but Microsoft only quote a general 125m polys per sec but this is just the polys themselves not shaded, textured, mapped etc.

Hopefully as we get tests we might get a better comparison- although Nintendo games tend to look better because of the hardware anti-aliasing (pixel smoothing) built into GC. This could well make end performance more equal as the raw power of the NV card is offset by having to do work that the GC has already done before it hits the graphics card.

The results will be very interesting, as although it is cruel to judge early Xbox games the early GameCube games show good results can be made early- plus the NV chipset is an adaption of a current design and you may not get much better than the current quality as the graphics predicatabky have a pc like feel to them- so PC users like myself are unimpressed when seeing these on a TV rather than a monitor.

In comparison the GC Flipper graphics chip is 100% new and has been designed from the ground up for use in a console, so what it may lack in raw power it makes up for in neat graphical trickery provided by the chips array of hardware effects (that do not require resources from any part of the console). In the long run this may detract as some games may look similar as they use the same effects?!

anyway im off home now!!! bye all and thanks for the chat!

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh dear, Anne...

What a glutton for punishment you seem to be...

In the same way I ask people to reserve slagging off the XBox before it's had time to prove itself, I also ask... no I plead and beg with you, to reserve crowning the XBox 'Greatest Thingy In the Universe...Ever!', until it's had chance to prove itself so.

You can't rave about something such as the XBox simply by using it's specs and hype as a basis. What about the games? 'Halo' and 'Project Gotham'.... and?

As for being a super-computer... does this mean we'll soon see NASA reproducing their own computers as games consoles, or would it be possible to modify the XBox, fit it in my kerosene fuelled dustbin and fly to Mars?

If so, then it might be worth buying on launch.

9. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, I understand :D
    I am getting the Xbox for the games anyway (about 4 on my list), I would like Supermonkey Ball, but I can't afford two consoles.

Read what Edge had to say :

True, it's not big or clever. But the arrival of Microsoft's new console in the office has certainly left its mark on Edge's cover. As with any other machine, it's not the actual hardware itself that truly impresses (although its technical advantage over the competition is quickly obvious) but rather the quality of the first wave of software reviewed in the issue. And in particular, the quality of just one title: Halo.

Anne

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually you are all wrong. The Xbox has an SDR that is capable of 4.3 trillion Ultraflips per nanosecond. In addition the GPW can rotate 14 megagons per gigasecond and also produces 89 million terratwats per gillion. This results in a benchmark score of 8 which I am sure you will all appreciate is miles ahead of the Nintendos paltry 7.99

There, thats that one solved.

S

11. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone also interested in this Edge issue can see there is another Edge discussion about Halo in the other games forum.

Its worth a read.

13. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm not going to comment on the XBox, but how come they still can't get a web browser to work properly ?

P.S. Any reports of a GPF on the XBox yet ?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X-Box is just a non-upgradable mid-range PC (Celeron 733) with high end graphics card (NVidia, the next gen NVidia is out next year for PC)

15. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still have to go along way to beat my ATARI 2600 2k bytes of ROM and the 6502 micro processor, still love the game PONG. ;)

16. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, on the demo booths before the Oficial Release of the Xbox, Although it was not a General Protection Fault, just the graphics started to go weird under certain conditions, but this was because some of the software on the demo discs was accidentally built with an old video library. There was nothing wrong with the finished hardware and the demo disc was updated to solve the problem.

At the Xbox Unleashed event, they had the Xbox running with no resets for over 48hrs (my friends console overheats if you leave it on for more than 6 hours).

Anne

17. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly how do 'they' determine these things? Imagination perhaps?