Xbox standing straight up and still. Dust in the wind.

Mangi

Novice Member
Reaction score
Series X is not equipped with any dust filter covering top of the console. my experience tells me, that any unfiltered 'holes' will sooner or later result in the inside being full of dust. So, wouldn't it be better to place xbox horizontally instead? my calculations are: dust ->heat increase-> fan speed increase= noise. we may be able to speak about that only in a year or two, but it doesn't hurt to worry already. ;-)

Good question, I'll be placing mine horizontal anyway to fit in my unit.

Dust will get in there regardless.

It was designed to be vertical so that’s how I’ll be having it.

Great news, I'm going to get an extension lead and use it to replace my Dyson. Can't play any games on it so might as well put it to some use.

Great news, I'm going to get an extension lead and use it to replace my Dyson. Can't play any games on it so might as well put it to some use.

Not much does on the internet but this has just made me laugh out loud and uncontrollably. Not sleep for 48 hours also contributes I guess...

I'm also not quite sure. maybe this nice big&quiet top fan will help to get rid of most of the dust but still... it won't be running 24h. so i feel it is not quite top engeneering. old rule was simple: filtered "in" vents at the bottom, nice big "out" at the top, BUT at a side of the PC case. i think it may be better to place that console horizonally in the long term. not a big deal it may be anyway.

You should better connect that new xbox straight to your central vacuum cleaner instead. Dyson is overrated;-)

But seriously, after a month or two without gaming, you will start your console, and then there will be a 1.5 meter blow of a volcano like dust-apocalipse :) in your face. consider this at least. it is not written in the manual. And you may be allergic, it may kill you on the spot.

You should better connect that new xbox straight to your central vacuum cleaner instead. Dyson is overrated;-)

But seriously, after a month or two without gaming, you will start your console, and then there will be a 1.5 meter blow of a volcano like dust-apocalipse :) in your face. consider this at least.

Clean your goddamn house...

i do it every time when new generation console arrives, so no need for such hate really. EDIT here: ;-)

Lets get back to the case. is it better lay it down or keep the thing standing? :)

Last edited:
i do it every time when new generation console arrives, so no need for such hate really.

Lets get back to the case. is it better lay it dow or keep the thing standing? :)
I was only kidding!

Don’t think it matters for function whether you have it horizontal or vertical. Looks better vertical imo. But then I guess my cat will try and sit on it.

i know, i know. but indeed now i realised there is a lot more risk involved when keeping console in verical position. your cat/kid/wife/yourself are more likely to drop it *by accident* from the shelf. better to keep it flat. dust is our last concern then. i got all the tips i needed. thank you all&myself.

No different to the Xbox One or One X, they don't have dust protection either. Both of my consoles are on shelves in an open-back unit, over a foot from the ground, in a room that's not carpeted and they still gather dust. Just the way it goes with dust, so I wouldn't fret about it.

I had to replace my One X internal HDD last year, as it was faulty and out of warranty, and while I was in there I cleaned it out with compressed air, as I saw there was some dust on the fans.

The top fan is an exhaust fan meaning it pulls air through the system and exits through the top holes. In theory this will mean any dust that settles inside the fan when not in use will then be pulled out the next time the fan spins up.

Sure some dust will collect because that's inevitable in any console but I don't think the top will be an issue. If anything the main thing will be keeping the intake holes clear at the other end of the console.

Just blow on it and pretend you have a PS5 controller.

when you take a look at top exhaust vent holes, you'll see these are really big (not like in other console or AVR i've seen) and underneath there is only a fan, that's why i'm a bit cautious. sure, fan is designed to blow outside but still in real it does looks like a chimney. And cause you don't keep that fan running 24h my bet is that it may be problematic in future.

PS. yup, it could be a solution, blowing your console every weekend ;)

Last edited:
Series X is not equipped with any dust filter covering top of the console. my experience tells me, that any unfiltered 'holes' will sooner or later result in the inside being full of dust. So, wouldn't it be better to place xbox horizontally instead? my calculations are: dust ->heat increase-> fan speed increase= noise. we may be able to speak about that only in a year or two, but it doesn't hurt to worry already. ;-)

i also suspect if you dont dust around the base it will suck up dust from off what ever its sitting on as the air intake is around the stand at the bottom and the back.

Dust will settle on and possibly in the top vent while its not being used

Another reason i will be placing my xbox something like this:

1.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B000IGSKZ8

Next to my gaming TV, I've got two subs, one on top of the other, so the plan is to put the Series X vertical on top of these, where my Turtle Beach X41 headset transmitter is at the moment. In the long-run I'm thinking of disconnecting the grey Sony sub, then having the Series X on top of the Yamaha sub. So, still plenty of distance away from the floor.

Once the Series X is in place, I'll have a Jan 2006 360 (behind the TV with the Halo faceplate), a Xbox One Day One Edition, and a One X Scorpio Edition connected to this TV. In hindsight, I should have kept my original Xbox to go with them.

IMG_20201106_223228.jpg

I've actually got another one of the Yamaha subs, as they came as a pair, but it's not connected at the moment. The Sony one came as part of a 5.1 satellite speaker setup I bought many years ago, but I already had the Yamaha ones, so I used to have all three in use. Got to get those LFEs! :)

Did any of the previous consoles have filters and if they didn't was it an issue? Desktop PC's up until the past few years did not have them, and only top end case manufacturers fit them. Having been in the world of IT for a number of years it was usually only devices that were left on the floor or on carpets for a long long time that had any problems with dust or fluff build up. Consules tend to be on shelves...

It’s designed to be either horizontal or vertical either will work fine. Ventilation is important especially a decent amount of space around the top to let the hot air dissipate.

Next to my gaming TV, I've got two subs, one on top of the other, so the plan is to put the Series X vertical on top of these, where my Turtle Beach X41 headset transmitter is at the moment. In the long-run I'm thinking of disconnecting the grey Sony sub, then having the Series X on top of the Yamaha sub. So, still plenty of distance away from the floor.

Once the Series X is in place, I'll have a Jan 2006 360 (behind the TV with the Halo faceplate), a Xbox One Day One Edition, and a One X Scorpio Edition connected to this TV. In hindsight, I should have kept my original Xbox to go with them.

View attachment 1396228

Fridge-Freezer???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom