Xbox Softmod Service Error 05 - Please Help!

cmspodwy

Established Member
Reaction score
:lease: help.

I softmodded my xbox and was playing about with the EvoX dashboard and other programs that came with the mod. Now I've accidentally unlocked my hard disk (I didn't understand what I was doing at the time) and when I turn the xbox on now all I get is Service Error 05.

From internet searches I've learned that this is caused because the retail bios requires a locked hard disk for the xbox to work.

Is there anyway for me to lock the hard disk again or to install a spare hard disk I have lying around to get the box working again?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Do you have the lock code?

If so you can lock it again using one of the boot disks that are available, I think it's in Avalaunch you can do it...if not you can do it using your PC (if you remove the HD from the XBox) and XBHDM

scumball said:
Do you have the lock code?

If so you can lock it again using one of the boot disks that are available, I think it's in Avalaunch you can do it...if not you can do it using your PC (if you remove the HD from the XBox) and XBHDM

Many thanks for your response Scumball.

Unfortunately I have not got the HD lock code so I will try what you have linked.

Would it be possible for me to prepare a larger HD using these links and just drop that into the xbox and expect it to work?

Thanks

Only if you have the eeprom.bin file that's created when you backup your eeprom when modifying. This holds your hd locking key.

mickrick said:
Only if you have the eeprom.bin file that's created when you backup your eeprom when modifying. This holds your hd locking key.

Unfortunately I don't. Having looked through the link posted by ScumBall it would appear that I can connect the xbox HD to my computer, boot with xboxhdm and type lockhd to re-lock the drive.

Would this re-enable the hard drive on the xbox?

Any hdd's I've locked that way always needed the eeprom.bin to lock them. How did you mod your box originally?

mickrick said:
Any hdd's I've locked that way always needed the eeprom.bin to lock them. How did you mod your box originally?

A friend of mine gave me some all in one softmod stuff he got from http://www.aideluxe.com/. It required Splinter Cell and a save game exploit.

I backed up the eeprom and c:\ to the e:\ on the HD and then performed the softmod.

Once I modded the xbox I installed all of the software that came with the all in one solution just to have a look at it. I got the xbox working with the EvoX dashboard (I think that's what it was called) and everything was sweet.

I then happened to look through the other installed appliactions and one allowed you to unlock the hard drive and I was curious as to what it did. So I stupidly said yes.

Next time I rebooted the xbox I got the 05 system error.

As shown in the reply above, I originally backed up my eeprom to the e:\. Is there anyway for me to get this file or to select the backup when using xboxhdm?

ConfigMagic, no doubt. Silly boy, the only thing you could do now would be to connect the drive to a chipped box and recover the eeprom.bin file to a pc by ftp I reckon.

POD,

Post me your HDD if you want mate and I'll sling it in my chipped xbox and get that eeprom file for you.

Saying that can you not slap your xbox HDD onto your PC and just read the file straight off? Or is it in some super weirdo format that can't be read?

Holler if you want me to have a go.

Tom(from work... just thought it better to post here than reply to your email)

Yakboy said:
POD,

Post me your HDD if you want mate and I'll sling it in my chipped xbox and get that eeprom file for you.

Saying that can you not slap your xbox HDD onto your PC and just read the file straight off? Or is it in some super weirdo format that can't be read?

Holler if you want me to have a go.

Tom(from work... just thought it better to post here than reply to your email)

Thanks for the offer Yakboy. I may well take you up on that. I'm going to try the method posted by Timmy C first though.

The xbox hard disk is formatted using fatx. There is a fatx explorer that I have downloaded but I think it will only read a fatx image rather than connecting directly to the HD.

EDIT:: There seems to be some driver files here that might help.
http://www.megagames.com/xbox/xbox_utils_hardware.shtml

Using the XBHDM disk and with your drive connected to the PC you can run

"The xbrowser - Most people dont like typing commands. I included tools to make browsing and manipulating files on the xbox HD more user-friendly. At the command prompt type 'xbrowser' and hit enter. This will mount the CDROM with the linux distribution (and your xbox-files) and if an xbox drive is present on the primary IDE master channel the xbox C- and E-drives will be mounted. Then a semi-graphical filemanager (Midnight-Commander) will open with a tabbed (two-window) view of you CDROM on the left and the xbox C- and E-drive on your right.
You can also start the xbrowser with 'xbrowser -HD'. It will then search for fatx drives on Primary and Secondary master and run the two panel window with one HD on each side. This allow easy HD to HD copy."

Which means you can then get at eeprom.bin and dump it to another drive or floppy I believe.

One word of advice - some PCs will not boot with an unlocked drive attached (mine didn't). I had to boot from the DVD and then attach the drive afterwards...

scumball said:
It's on the Auto Installer Deluxe DVD...

Thanks mate. I've since found a copy at www.x-b-o-x.net. I've got the tork screwdrivers coming tomorrow to open the xbox so I will have a go using Timmy C's linked guide tomorrow night and report back.

Thanks again to all for their help. Much appreciated.

Timmy C's guide will not work for you, as you still need to lock the hard drive again after rebuilding from scratch. You don't need to rebuild your drive, you just need to lock it. Get the eeprom.bin from the drive, copy it to your PC, use it with XBHDM to lock your drive...that's all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom