Xbox Soft modding

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just bought an MS Hi-def kit, and it outputs into the VGA connector on my Panasonic PWD6 plasma.

I am pleased with the image quality, but am interested to see if I can get any better by soft modding the Xbox. I have read through the numerous threads on here on this subject, but am still confused on the following points:

1. Will enabling prog scan on the Xbox show an improvement on my screen, given that it has only 852x480 resolution anyway?

2. What resolution will a standard, unmodded Xbox give through its component output - 480i?

3. Given that the soft mod relies on switching the Xbox to NTSC output, will I notice any difference on my PAL games?

Thanks for any advice on this.

1. i soft modded mine recently and the difference is amazing, colours rich and vibrant and mirror/refection effects look incredibly real!
prog scan 480 a big improvement over 480i
2.yep 480i
3.only high resolution/quality graphics

Hey chillo - I had a look on xbox-scene but couldnt figure out the softmod thing. Any chance you could explain how you did it?

Thanks

Some PAL games will not run on a box switched over to NTSC - not many but there are some (I think any EA games have a prob - e.g. Tiger Woods)

andrewdolphin said:
Some PAL games will not run on a box switched over to NTSC - not many but there are some (I think any EA games have a prob - e.g. Tiger Woods)

Rather strangely, TW seems to be the only EA game that has probs, Fifa and the Lotr games seem far so far.

But the improvement of progressive and hi-def is MASSIVE!!!

Go for it.

andrewdolphin said:

Yup. Tiger Woods doesn't run on a soft-modded Xbox.

Solid argument in favour of soft modding really. :clap:

Could someone please provide some links on how to softmod an Xbox..

I have searched on Google but I can't get anything conclusive. I have also been to the Xbox-Scene forums and couldn't find anything either..

leedavies said:
Yup. Tiger Woods doesn't run on a soft-modded Xbox.

Solid argument in favour of soft modding really. :clap:

Not quite the case - it does run, I just had to buy the US version of the game.

ringer/seb read the pal xbox hi def thread, its all in there!
just make sure you have a hd spec plasma/lcd (>xga resolution etc) to start with and MS HiDef component lead kit, the game i used: 007 (original) or splinter cell, mech assault etc, copy the game save+evo dash zip file to a Action Replay mem card then copy that to your Xbox HD. Run the game, load the game save which is now on your HD. Game crashes run evo dash set ntsc, then reboot xbox go to MS dash enable all the HD settings in video and viola! :)

Got myself a copy of Splinter Cell and an AR on the way to do this.

Could anyone advise where I can download the appropriate Splinter Cell gamesave.

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom