• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox Slim 250GB Matte Black

redmarkred

Finally purchased a new Xbox Slim (250GB Matt Black version) and I must say I'm impressed with the improvements MS have made compared to my launch 360.

The fans are much quieter. So much so that I don't even know it's turned on unless you put your ear close to the console. This is great! The fan noise was the major disappointment for me with the original 360.

The DVD drive noise is also reduced compared to my launch console. While not silent when running a game it's not an issue as I install all games to the HDD.

Built in wireless is another bonus as my router is now too far away for me to use a wired connection.

Finally I also now have an HDMI connection which wasn't on my launch console.

The only negative thing I have too say is concerning the stupid sticker they put on the the front, under the DVD tray, telling you not to tilt the console when there is a disc in the tray. Having peeled it off it leaves a mark which whilst only cosmetic is annoying.

Last edited:

redmarkred

The new power brick fan is ridiculously loud compared to the older models.

Have you tried replacing the power brick because mine is very quiet (and I'm fussy about fan noise).

I remember people complaining about fan noise with the original power brick but again the one I had was fine. I think it's a bit of a lottery!

When you say ridiculously loud do you mean you can hear it when the power brick is behind your AV stand from where you are seated. If that's the case it definitely needs replacing.

You can't hear my power brick unless you put your ear fairly close to it.

moraybank

Look at the phat-slim psu thread on here.

Im using an old Jasper PSU with an adapter cable to fit the slim, it's the quietest Xbox setup you will get.

The noisy PSU on slim models is a common occurence, not all the time it's a fault, rather just design flaw from MS..

redmarkred

Look at the phat-slim psu thread on here.

Im using an old Jasper PSU with an adapter cable to fit the slim, it's the quietest Xbox setup you will get.

The noisy PSU on slim models is a common occurence, not all the time it's a fault, rather just design flaw from MS..

Yeah as I said it's a bit of a lottery whether you get a noisy or a quiet PSU.

However I wouldn't say it was a design flaw as they'd all be noisy! More likely down to the varying quality of the parts MS get from various sources.

moraybank

(not my video)

I've read that Rev B/C are the noisy PSU's, and that Rev02/03 are silent. Well mine was an 03 and it sounded like a jet engine so that blows that out the water.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom