1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX sighting in Game UK Store

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Stewart C, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been to Game Shop on my high street and saw an X Box running a demo disc.

Is this the best video game console I have ever seen. They are opening at midnight next week.

YES. Without question.

Regards

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    HMV and EB have had demo XB's for quite a bit.

I was completely underwhelmed by it.

Played Project Gotham, Halo and some crappy Snowboard game on it and have to say I wouldn't buy one for £300 on that evidence!

Edge magazine had an article on Japan this month and one of the Jap game journos seems to have already written XB off over there.

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Oh, errr... I have a UK Gamecube on order for 5th May. :D in case you were interested. :)

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate is Japanese and he says the Gamecube is rubbish. Better stick to my PSX then.

5. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Where and how much did you order it for? Any special offers?

RDB :)

PS Does anyone know if it's true that you require broadband to use the XBox for internet access? My mate's planning on buying one at launch, but one of the main reasons he's getting it is to get online.

6. geordie_blerk

geordie_blerk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any plans for a 'traditional' modem add-on for the xbox.

It has broadband capabilites straight out of the box, although there is no official broadband service for it yet, but if you have a PC broadband connection you can connect the xbox via that .

I seem to recall Microsoft have been trialling their broadband service in the UK in conjuction with Telewest.

7. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes I wonder what Planet some people are on.

The point of the note was not to say I have seen one before anyone else it was to say I was happy with what I saw.

Are the graphics better than anything I have seen, yes and I have seen the lot. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as you are.

It is also not surprising to hear someone who has ordered the Gamecube say they were underwhelmed by the X Box !!;) otherwise you would have ordered the X Box wouldn't you.

Also it is not surprising to hear the Japanese have written off the X Box, if they have, they don't want or like any competition to their beloved Nintendo systems.

Also, Halo and Project Gotham Racing and the rest have been reviewed by all mazines, not only those 'official' X Box ones who like to blow their own trumpet (not that they do I am sure - impartiallity) but by multi format magazines - Game Cube/PS2/PC all of which they are amazed by the X Box.

Now these guys must know more than us, surely !!

Finally, The post about the Japanese friend who says the Gamecube is rubbish. Everyone won't be pleased.

Regards

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I've got a PS2 and on the whole am happy with it: (GTA3 is worth getting a PS2 for on its own if you ask me).

I was totally disinterested in the Xbox although I don't go in for all that anti-microsoft faux hippy idealism. Then I saw Halo on the TV and my jaw hit the floor. A few days later I went in to HMV and had a fiddle with Halo on a crappy 14" screen. Put my reservation in same day.

I work with high end CG every day.

9. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It astounds me how someone can come to the conclusion "this is the best video console" by just seeing a demo model of it in the store. I came to console gaming rather late but have been an avid PC gamer for a long time. A couple of years ago I rented a playstation console and a couple of games from Xtravision and was not terribly impressed until I rented MGS-1. This game so impressed me I went out and bought a PS1. Now I bought the console because of the game and most of the time I think this is the real strenght of a console i.e. the quality of the games library available. I also saw the XBOX in a Virgin store with some racing game demoing. I have to say the graphics did not impress at all, in fact in certain parts of the game it was impossible to see the car properly. However I would not make a decision based of this as I'm sure if I had this in my living room with a bit of tweaking I could improve the picture.

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I have a PS2 and a GC, and I've just preordered an Xbox for our office (no one wants to buy one - they all seem to be looking forward to Gamecube)

My GC is currently in its box, and I have my PS2 and Dreamcast out. Its going through a *very* fallow period, much like both PS2 and DC went through after their Japanese launches. I'm sure it'll pick up, and the price won't change much, so there is little risk in owning one now, and Monkey ball is great fun and so was Luigi's mansion.

The Xbox is quite tempting from a straight games point of view. Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, Wreckless, Rallisport - they all look fun and some have had great reviews. And Dolby 5.1 is also nice. But the price will come down and so I'll hold off on a purchase for now (and play the office one).

11. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "It astounds me how someone can come to the conclusion "this is the best video console" by just seeing a demo model of it in the store"

Interesting................When you buy an AV Amplifier, a TV, a DVD Player, don't you come to a decision after a demo !!!;)

Also the demo happened to be Halo and the rest....END.

Regards

12. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to confess that I was very anti XBox because it is Microsoft - big nasty corporation. Not like Sony at all ;)

I have a PS2 and an import GC. I love the PS2 at the moment. GTA III, Devil May Cry, ISS and Metal Gear Solid 2 to come. I am even enjoying Agent Under Fire. The GC had some fun launch games but we won't see the best of it for a while.

I went into EB and played Halo on the demo machine. Put my pre-order in ten minutes later. It is worth buying the XBox for alone.

13. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewart,

I hear what you are saying about buying equipment on the basis of a demo, and youre absolutely right. But the fact is that some of the comments being made are based on even more absurd preconceptions. Anyone who checks out an XBOX demo machine at Dixons, Toys R Us etc. and walks away singularly unimpressed is perfectly entitled to their opinion. But isn't that a bit like auditioning a new set of speakers and declaring them a disappointment because you don't like the Kylie Minogue cd that the shop played through them?

XBOX is not officially available in the UK yet and no one has yet got to grips with the machine or is in any position yet to start fully exploiting it, so how can anyone make a decision on the hardware. My opinion is that XBOX is showing considerable promise and, backed by its undoubted graphical muscle, is likely to play host to some awesome games. If its the software that disappoints how can the hardware buying decision be influenced by a single game. I realise software sells hardware but I would say that any potential buyer of this system would be doing themselves a disservice if they rejected it on the basis of one game they didn't like.

If we are all honest, the majority of games on ANY system will not be what we want, our purchasing decisions are based on the minority of a platforms catalogue. I would actually go one step further and say that most games, regardless of platform, are crap. But that just me. And I am being honest.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the problem with a lot of the demo pods is that they just leave the Halo demo mode running all the time. Trust me that demo mode looks nowhere near as good as the game looks when you play it. It's like a crappy VHS copy of the game, I was in Dixons today and a bunch of kids were gathered around the X-Box that was in Halo demo mode and one of them commented that it didn't look much better than the PS2. In the demo mode I agree but in proper realtime play mode it's a different story. And Rallisport challenge is incredible, I swear to god I've played the Mediteranean level and thought it looks like real life!
    So if you see an X-box demo running and are underwhelmed by it just remember you're not seeing the full potential.

Andy

15. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    zAndy1

thanks for that. I was having second thoughts about getting an xbox on thursday but I will now go for it.
    I have been putting off buying a PS2 as I have a dreamcast which has got a lot of use while waiting for the Xbox to arrive.

I will get a PS2 as well but one of the second hand ones that will shortly flood the market.

Darren

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't regret it, honestly it is in a different league to the PS2, most shops probably haven't even got it connected by RGB or S-video so in a shop it's probably about as bad as it's going to look, wait till you get one home and get it connected properly and get some of your PS2 owning mates round, I'd like to see em defend the PS2 then! I've always said the PS2 is overrated and it's taken the X-Box to prove that point, in every respect the X-box is superior to the PS2 (graphically, DVD playback, sound, flexibility etc etc) now as long as the games take advantage of that superiority I think we'll have a great time enjoying the X-box! It's certainly the first console I've had where I haven't been disappointed with the graphics on any game I've bought (but I am picky about what I get!).

Andy.

17. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sarren,

Not too sure about PS2's flooding the second hand market. Its a great machine but how many people will actually dump it and invest in a £300 XBOX? There will certainly be some who will change platform completely and many others who will want to own both machines (and a third too) but I reckon XBOX's target market are the PS1/N64/Dreamcast upgraders and newbies.

If ever there was a better indication of XBOX's threat to the established manufacturers it would be Nintendo's aggressive pricing policy for Gamecube, and their new found fondness for european gamers (seems our money is now as good as everyone elses) and Sony's accelerated development programme for PS3! However, in Microsoft they are now dealing with a company who take absolutely nothing lying down. Take a look elsewhere on the forums and you will see that XBOX2 is in the planning stages (with the possibility of severed links with Nvidia!) giving credence to the rumours that Bill gates is intent on dominating the games industry in the same way he dominates just about everything else. Not necessarily a good thing mind.

As with their TV's and hi-fi, the likes of Dixons don't show products off at their best (they're basically high street box shifters) and XBOX is no exception. Don't make your hardware decision on poorly presented software.

18. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren,

Oops, don't know who Sarren is:( That last post was for you;)

19. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    As I said I am back on the Xbox track and will be playing it about 0930hrs on Thurday morning hopefully. Plan to buy Halo, Ralisport challenge for me, DOA3 and oddworld for the wife. Was also looking at Wreckless but it has not had many good reports so I will await the destruction derby one (cant remember the title) which arrives the end of next month I think.

Regarding PS3 and XBOX2 do you think they are just rumours put out by the competitors to try and change peoples minds about buying or is there substance to these reports?

The gamecube is at a good price point, almost a throw away product. I will see what the games are like when it arrives then if it looks okay I will buy it for the kids to play for summer holidays.

thanks for your input guys

Darren

20. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rumours of Xbox2 and PS3 would not stop me from buying now. THink about it, Msoft will want at least 12 months out of Xbox before anouncing a replacement and even if Sony anounced PS3 tomorrow you wouldn't be able to get one for 12 months anyway. I will be getting an Xbox and if it gets replaced in 12 months with a better one then I can move it upstairs and have it as a DVD player as well. Ideal.

S

21. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents,

Some valid points there. Do I think PS3 and XBOX2 are rumours put about to spoil each others parties? I don't know what the point would be. Did the news of PS3 put me off buying an XBOX? No! In exactly the same way XBOX2 didn't put me off buying XBOX...er...1. Its all just corporate grandstanding and chest beating.

One thing is for sure though. Whoever makes the first move will have the other two ready to pounce shortly after. I'd leave the politics to them and concentrate on the prospect of some great games coming for all three platforms. There's nothing like a bit of competition to stir things up nicely.

My own rule of thumb has always been that, generally speaking, the latest hardware is always the best. Based on the fact that you cannot build business by taking a step back. The progression is easy to follow, Saturn, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, XBOX. I was ready for a new console so I chose XBOX after a good look at the first batch of games. Don't shoot me if you don't agree, it's just my rule of thumb and my very humble opinion.

22. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The PS3 is not a rumour. Sony have actually been talking about it and have said they have development teams working on it. Everyone would probably guess it was true anyway, but it seems to be a pretty stupid thing to say, especially when the PS2 is about to come under some serious pressure in the marketplace for the first time.
    Microsoft have not been daft enough to talk officially about XBox2.