Xbox Series X

Its a game running via BC - its not Xbox's game - they can't just fix it - its a good and visually interesting title. An odd one to choose but yeah the pop in is a bit egregious but given the scope and scale of that game I don't think its a massive issue at all.

As for the video it was designed to showcase the UI to everyone and probably not the likes of us who've been following all this. I did find it more entertaining and exciting that watching a man unscrew a box whilst talking in Japanese though! But that's probably just me....

Yes I did mean the developers and no that’s not acceptable for anyone’s standards but it is a basic game. Regardless the Internet will now be flooded with remarks about pop in on Series X games.. you watch..
I don’t think everyone will find the video that entertaining as it’s too scripted. Very flat in its presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting news about HDMI 2.1 AV receivers and Xbox series X

PS5 And Xbox Series X-Friendly AV Receivers Reportedly Hit By Major HDMI Bug

apparently they wont pass through the series X picture because the Series X output is uncompressed and the chip inside the AV receiver can only do compressed signals
What a nightmare :nono: The reason I purchased a Denon 4700 was for the series X compatibility.
I've never used eARC but reading some comments on how troublesome it can be puts me off.
Currently the Denon is set to 4K/60 so I guess it will have to stay on that until there is a solution.

Yes I did mean the developers and no that’s not acceptable for anyone’s standards.. and the Internet will now be flooded with remarks about pop in on Series X games.. you watch..
No one will find the video that entertaining as it’s dar too scripted. Very flat in its presentation.

Its been on Xbox since 2016. You need to step out of whatever console warrior fanboy world you live in and think about what you're saying. A small game that is years old made by a small developer that is about underwater survival made in Unity is 'not acceptable for anyone's standards' because it has some pop in......

Nice little Series X and S comparison from Xbox On that some might find useful:

It was very scripted and rehearsed.

I think the biggest problem was that there was nothing to reveal. I cringed when they announced that there would be more dashboard colour options after launch.

Honestly this video just hammered home the lack of new experience or fresh ideas in the launch UI.

Remember when 360 launched new ideas in UI with the blades and achievements? Those things were fun in themselves.

Microsoft bringing iteration but not so much innovation.

I think the biggest problem was that there was nothing to reveal. I cringed when they announced that there would be more dashboard colour options after launch.

Honestly this video just hammered home the lack of new experience or fresh ideas in the launch UI.

Remember when 360 launched new ideas in UI with the blades and achievements? Those things were fun in themselves.

Microsoft bringing iteration but not so much innovation.

Their UI is close to perfect now. Be absolutely stupid to rip it up and start again. Not sure I agree here at all - you buy an iphone you don't want a UI you can't recognise and its the same here. The worst thing would be like the XB1 launch where loads of features are missing for months or even years because they didn't have the UI ready and it was sellotaped together at the last minute.

Quick resume is a great feature you'll use every day and Auto HDR and the BC feature set will be great moving forwards.

Personally beyond them working on achievements (which apparently they are) I'm not sure what I'd want - the UI works, is feature rich and all apps will be supported day one.

I can't think of any tech where you'd want to take a good UI and completely re-work it for the next piece of hardware other than adding in new hardware features (like quick resume, Dolby Vision etc).

Personally beyond them working on achievements (which apparently they are) I'm not sure what I'd want - the UI works, is feature rich and all apps will be supported day one.

I can't think of any tech where you'd want to take a good UI and completely re-work it for the next piece of hardware other than adding in new hardware features (like quick resume, Dolby Vision etc).

I’m not sure what I’d want either, but I do like being positively surprised. I didn’t know I’d want swooshy blades or achievements until Microsoft made them.

And regards throwing out working UIs- Microsoft have done it a few times with Xbox. I guess because they had the imagination to build new things to offer new experiences- I’m a little dissapointed that’s missing now.

I’m not sure what I’d want either, but I do like being positively surprised. I didn’t know I’d want swooshy blades or achievements until Microsoft made them.

And regards throwing out working UIs- Microsoft have done it a few times with Xbox. I guess because they had the imagination to build new things to offer new experiences- I’m a little dissapointed that’s missing now.

The reason they've not 'thrown out' the UI is they've deliberately built a UI that is iterated throughout the generation very frequently and refined and improved constantly. Starting again when you've got to that point is just the definition of crazy. But beyond that its also the first time where the underlying architecture is the same gen on gen - you're not going from 360 power PC to x86. So this time the UI has been refined to the point its at and is ready for the next gen features without needing to be completely rebuilt.

It has nothing to do with imagination its how modern development works. Iterating and building - this UI we have now is radically, radically different to the XB1 UI. You've just got it in stages and earlier than the next gen release to make sure it works properly.

Its been on Xbox since 2016. You need to step out of whatever console warrior fanboy world you live in and think about what you're saying. A small game that is years old made by a small developer that is about underwater survival made in Unity is 'not acceptable for anyone's standards' because it has some pop in...... Honestly sometimes I think we reach peak stupidity then you come and read a comment like that.....

I think your the only ‘console warrior’ around here mate. Did you perhaps for one second think I did NOT know when that game was launched or its development team before your comment? Perhaps YOU should be the one who thinks before they type eh?

Oh and enough of the insults too thanks, I don’t care to be called ‘stupid’ because I do not know every Xbox games history thank you very much!

Sometimes you seriously come across as the biggest fanboy ever and not in a good way...

I suggest you take a deep breath and stop with some of the arrogance, and with being upset if someone criticises a plastic box.

I think your the only ‘console warrior’ around here mate! And I do apologise for not j owing when every single Xbox game was released and on what generation, my bad I know I’ll just go and research the thousands and thousands of Xbox games so I’m better I formed..
Is that sarcastic? Hell yes, did you perhaps for one second think I did NOT know when that game was launched before your comment? Hell No!!.. maybe you should think before YOU should be the one who thinks before they type...

You should probably chill out and calm down a little.

I decided to do a little external storage organising before the Series X arrives. Involved swapping some external HDDs around and me needing tdownload a load of games on a 5TB drive (swapped out from using a 2TB to a larger capacity drive).

It’s definitely worth doing it now as game install sizes have really increased this generation (that 1TB drive is going to feel small pretty quickly) and I’d imagine the Xbox servers will be getting hammered from launch day. Thank god for unlimited broadband!

That official MS video seems to me to be aimed at people that have had very little idea about Xbox Series line of consoles. I mean, they're just re-iterating whats already been revealed and shown by the tech sites and youtubers out there. Us enthusiasts already know it all inside and out but I suspect there'll be plenty out there that don't.

Its been on Xbox since 2016. You need to step out of whatever console warrior fanboy world you live in and think about what you're saying. A small game that is years old made by a small developer that is about underwater survival made in Unity is 'not acceptable for anyone's standards' because it has some pop in...... Honestly sometimes I think we reach peak stupidity then you come and read a comment like that.....

I’m hoping it gets another patch, I tried it about a year ago on One X and it’s not a nice experience, I played it for a few hours and performance really tanks once you pass the first starting biome. I’m hoping to play it again on Series X, or I’ll simply go back to the PC release.

Apart from the usual pop in and frame rate troubles it’s got some weird thing going on with the abysmal save/loads, I thought the game was broken it was taking forever to load, then I realised I had it installed in the wrong place. Putting the game onto the SSD helped with the world rendering and sorted the saves/load issues somewhat.

Unknown Worlds main focus is the Below Zero expansion at present, but they still do have people working on the base game, this month the PS4 build got an update primarily to try and fix the save issues.

I’m hoping it gets another patch, I tried it about a year ago on One X and it’s not a nice experience, I played it for a few hours and performance really tanks once you pass the first starting biome. I’m hoping to play it again on Series X, or I’ll simply go back to the PC release.

Apart from the usual pop in and frame rate troubles it’s got some weird thing going on with the abysmal save/loads, I thought the game was broken it was taking forever to load, then I realised I had it installed in the wrong place. Putting the game onto the SSD helped with the world rendering and sorted the saves/load issues somewhat.

Unknown Worlds main focus is the Below Zero expansion at present, but they still do have people working on the base game, this month the PS4 build got an update primarily to try and fix the save issues.
Unity performance on console is just not very good. It’s a good game but dont think it will get any further love sadly.

Pretty much all at 4K60 on both Series X (and in most cases S) and PS5. Nice.

Watch Dogs is 4K 30FPS with Ray tracing. Interesting to see if RT is worth halving they framerate. I’m going to guess.....no.....

Watch Dogs is 4K 30FPS with Ray tracing. Interesting to see if RT is worth halving they framerate. I’m going to guess.....no.....
Agreed. Not sure I get the whole fascination with RT, but then I’ve only seen it in YouTube videos. I might be surprised?

Also edited my post because I misread the article, it doesn’t actually mention the resolution of the Series S version of most of the games, only Series X.

Agreed. Not sure I get the whole fascination with RT, but then I’ve only seen it in YouTube videos. I might be surprised?

Also edited my post because I misread the article, it doesn’t actually mention the resolution of the Series S version of most of the games, only Series X.

The problem with Ray Tracing is it has become a buzzword...proper full path ray traced GI lighting will be very very rare but is obviously a huge step forward in fidelity.

But what we are getting is ray traced reflections or shadowing in most games...and whilst that will be nice I don’t know if it comes close to justifying 30FPS...we will have a good check point here, ACV at 60 and WDL at 30 and I’m guessing the only major graphical difference to account for that drop is the RT reflections in WDL. So a good test case as fo whether it’s worth it.

It may well be I just sort of have my doubts because it doesn’t really transform the look of the game overall imo. Not in this limited implementation. Though it is undoubtedly cool stuff.

Im sort of excited to play open world Assasins creed at 60FPS though I guess looking at PC benchmarks I wonder what they have cut to get it running at 60 on consoles....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom