Xbox Series X

Sure, it's not £2449. Like I said above and highlighted on the picture, the early pre-orders will be sent a code to take £2000 off that price, taking it to the normal price of £449. You can't purchase it without that code.
Please forgive my rock-dwelling ignorance once more:

Why?

Forgive my rock-dwelling ignorance:

Why?
At a guess, I imagine its to stop bots in some way for getting all the orders by adding some extra layers into the purchase.

Didn't work to clever for a couple of guys on the PS5 side who had to get multiple codes as the ones sent didn't work.

It sounds like a good idea but whether its actually been useful I don't know.

At a guess, I imagine its to stop bots in some way for getting all the orders by adding some extra layers into the purchase.

Didn't work to clever for a couple of guys on the PS5 side who had to get multiple codes as the ones sent didn't work.

It sounds like a good idea but whether its actually been useful I don't know.

The reason they did it is this - they had a separate website hived off from Currys main retail one just for pre orders - this was a queue system and meant their main website didn't go down and the queue into their pre order system was managed. In the system you couldn't sign in or anything you waited in the queue and pre ordered which sent you the confirmation (you paid a fiver in deposit).

Then some weeks later they just put the consoles up to buy properly on their retail site - obviously doing that would be chaos so they added the £2000 on top and sent everyone with the preorder a voucher code to knock off £2005 (2000 + deposit paid) to ensure nobody else would buy them - if some nutter did pay the extra £2000 the order would be cancelled anyway.

Now it worked well in the sense that a) Their website didn't crash b) They kept the pre order system simple and isolated c) the process was to ensure people who pre ordered got one.

But of course nothing is ever perfect and some who ordered Series X consoles didn't get their £2000 discount code via email - so not sure how they resolve that one.

Generally though I'd say its one of the better systems out there and one of the fairer ones.

Interesting there isn't a card/coupon for a months gamepass unless it's automatically added when setting up the console.

I might be wrong here, but didn't they starting switching away from codes when they launched the Cyberpunk One X? That came with the game included, but it had to be claimed directly from the console's menu rather than being a separate code to input.

I might be wrong here, but didn't they starting switching away from codes when they launched the Cyberpunk One X? That came with the game included, but it had to be claimed directly from the console's menu rather than being a separate code to input.

Possibly, last xbox console I had was the 360. Just assumed that there would be a code in the box, guess it makes it easier to claim it directly from the menu rather than inputting the code.

This is absolute genius. And man I want that fridge. Xbox just absolutely nailing this launch.
😍😍😍😍

Love the fact that Xbox have their old corporate identity back. They always used to be a bit punky and self deprecating. They knew there was no point trying to mimic Sony’s rather dull and characterless approach to marketing and instead to be a bit different. Like Nintendo are.

There is a fine line between a bit of a laugh and corporate wackiness but stuff like this is great. The fact that interact with memes and aren’t as serious as they used to be is great.

Whilst I don’t think a novelty fridge has anything to do with corporate identity.... it’s cool and Justine makes great videos. She said it’s one of only 3, Snoop Dog has the other and they are going to give the third one away in a sweepstake.

And Sony’s ‘dull and characterless’ marketing has one them two gens now so they must be doing something right, like concentrating on the games as opposed to novelty fridges perhaps?

I’m not sure if Microsoft are ‘nailing’ the launch that is to a fridge, it doesn’t have any next gen exclusives at launch, but it’s doing alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is absolute genius. And man I want that fridge. Xbox just absolutely nailing this launch.
😍😍😍😍

I was just about to post this lol, it may not be to everyone's taste but it's another example how Microsoft are going all out this time, in contrast to Sony who have literally done nothing, MS started at the beginning of the year inviting press, YouTubers etc to hands on events and where very confident in their system they released the specs early, they've handed out loads of systems in the last month or two and had constant media coverage

Whilst I don’t think a novelty fridge has anything to do with corporate identity.... it’s cool and Justine makes great videos. She said it’s one of only 3, Snoop Dog has the other and they are going to give the third one away in a sweepstake.

And Sony’s ‘dull and characterless’ marketing has one them two gens now so they must be doing something right, like concentrating on the games as opposed to novelty fridges perhaps?

Oh and Microsoft were nailing the Series X launch they’d have some actual next gen games out at launch. Like Halo or Forza etc.

Wow so sensitive. Sony have the strongest brand in the space but they are conservative and always have been. Xbox when the first arrived were the upstarts and they did cool stuff. And had a personality. They lost that for a while and became too serious. It is gaming after all might as well have some fun with it.

Given Microsoft are hardly known for making fun of themselves it is good that Xbox are being given the free reign again to do so.

Oh and Microsoft were nailing the Series X launch they’d have some actual next gen games out at launch. Like Halo or Forza etc.

Change the record. It's beyond boring... No MS aren't concentrating on games are they, that's why they have amassed 23 game studios with circa 35 teams between them to make first party games, and they have created the premier gaming subscription service.. You keep banging the Sony launch drum as if they have a tonne of quality exclusive games... yet to see them myself. Glorified cross gen DLC and a remake of a 10year old niche genre title. Hardly riveting to most.

a remake of a 10year old niche genre title.

Don‘t spoil it :nono: that’s seen as this generation’s Mario 64 by many in the PS5 section of the forum ;)

Change the record. It's beyond boring... No MS aren't concentrating on games are they, that's why they have amassed 23 game studios with circa 35 teams between them to make first party games, and they have created the premier gaming subscription service.. You keep banging the Sony launch drum as if they have a tonne of quality exclusive games... yet to see them myself. Glorified cross gen DLC and a remake of a 10year old niche genre title. Hardly riveting to most.

Exactly this. It’s beyond boring now. MS have a first party that nobody can match now. Launch games sure they’ve lost Halo and it’s a terrible shame. But there is loads to play and with 35 teams making games for them all going into gamepass it’s a huge offering. If that isn’t of interest then fine. But don’t keep saying the same thing over and over and over...

That fridge is fantastic and I think it's great to see Microsoft getting some of their identity back and poking a little bit of fun at themselves.
That Justine woman is really flipping annoying though and reminds me why I don't do all that YouTube and influencer crap. :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom