Xbox Series X

I don’t really do Twitter but this was linked from another story about Xbox on Twitter, a Series X on display in a Polish store:

I have started to re-organise the TV unit in anticipation of the XSX and the PS5 arrival in November :rotfl:

Luckily the IKEA unit we have is big enough to accommodate both consoles laying on their sides. Phew. I think the wife would have killed me if either of them would have had to be placed next to the TV in eye line.

Six weeks seems a loooong time away. Ordered a Philips hue sync box to set up in the meantime to keep me entertained . Shame it’s not 2.1 so I have a dilemma of connecting the consoles directly to the TV and forego the light show to take advantage of the 2.1 , or be content with 60hz and take advantage of the Lightshow for more immersion. Decisions decisions.

Both will be great. That said, I think it’s fair to say MS aren’t messing around this time. Their recent acquisition and more to come. Ultimately, Sony are small fry to them. To Microsoft, Sony are nothing. It’s all about Game Pass subscriptions and millions more of them. Long term, Sony are of no concern to Microsoft.

There’s no way Microsoft are spending $7.5 Billion and then letting Sony have those games. Not a hope in Hell. And why should or would they? Would Sony spend that and let Xbox have those games? Of course not.

Microsoft, to their credit, have really put things into place. Both from a hardware and software point-of-view. Sony must be worried.

There’s no way Microsoft are spending $7.5 Billion and then letting Sony have those games. Not a hope in Hell. And why should or would they? Would Sony spend that and let Xbox have those games? Of course not.

Microsoft, to their credit, have really put things into place. Both from a hardware and software point-of-view. Sony must be worried.
I don't think MS cares which devices their software goes to as long as people are buying it.

This is what a lot of people are saying, if Sony had purchased it we wouldn't be having these conversations, but with ms there's precedent of some titles moving to other platforms. Things like ori, cuphead that they publish and especially Minecraft that they own are all on other systems.

I think Phil Spencer has summed it up, everything from Bethesda will be in gamepass day and date, other platforms will be on a case by case basis. There's a tonne of money in selling the next elder Scrolls titles on PlayStation, but how good is it for ms that they will make that money from selling to Sony but definitely be marketing it saying look at game pass, you buy yourself an Xbox and it won't cost you £60, it will be in your subscription the day it comes out along with all our other games. The odd title on PlayStation may really show the value of game pass even more so if they can get ps5 owners looking at games like this and asking why they are paying so much for a game others are getting for less and missing out on other games all together.

People need to think of the bigger picture. Potential Playstation revenue is small compared to what they are aiming for. Bear in mind console gamers collectively account for about 250m users... MS have broadened their reach capability with Xbox, PC and Cloud to Mobile devices to be accessible to up to 3 billion potential gamers.

Break it down further... These will be next gen games, so disregard the PS4's 110m users. Assume a couple of the big hitting titles come in 2 years time, PS5 userbase for arguments sake could be 20m by then. Of that 20m, potential adoption rate per game might be circa 10%, so 2m copies. Of that 2m potential sales they'd pay Sony 30% cut for the "privilege" of selling on their platform.... the potential revenue drops the more you look at it and factor in sales end lower margins etc.

Compare that to potential revenues from keeping the big draw titles exclusive. It' boosts the brand and quashes the "Xbox has no exclusives narrative". Those die hard fans if they want those games have numerous avenues to Xbox gaming either via the most powerful console, the cheapest next gen console, PC or mobile device. It doesn't have to be expensive. Consider if they were to buy 3 of those titles at launch digitally at PS5 prices that'll work out more than buying a Series S is likely to cost at the time (in a couple of years) when it's possibly around the £200 mark. The Series S has been priced at a level that makes it a perfect 2nd console for PS / Switch gamers. MS's best revenue options would be for them to make them buy into the ecosystem with affordable hardware and subscribe to GP. Once on the ecosystem they will potentially buy other Xbox games, or 3rd party games that play best (if they get an X), spend money on various game DLC, microtransactions etc etc etc, all of which will make MS additional money outside the Bethesda titles and increase their GP userbase, which in turn allows them to further leverage it to developers to lure more games into GP at favourable rates to them, because it will be beneficial to said devs too, for instant large userbase and subsequent transactions etc. It becomes a win win.

Why spend 7.5b to not leverage it to the fullest. Make those titles attract users back to the platform they lost the last generation after initial missteps. They don't care if those users also have a PS5, just they want them on board this side too. As for the case by case comments i think some titles will hit switch as they have a good relationship with Nintendo, then there's ongoing games as a service like ESO and F76 which are already established on PS which would continue. Previous MP games like both Ori's weren't 1st party games and things like Outer Worlds already had pre arranged independent publishing deals which they honoured, same as they have said they will with Deathloop and Ghost Wire Tokyo. As for Minecraft that was already everywhere and is the biggest game in the world raking in mega millions all the time so why would they ever have removed it from other platforms, it's a unique proposition, hence they paid 2.5b just for that. Going forward though i expect all the key games to remain exclusive, same as future Obsidian, Ninja Theory etc titles have been confirmed to be even though prior titles were multiplat.

I think another reason behind the acquisition was as zenimax was open to selling and Microsoft didnt want amazon or google dumping aload of cash and zenimax selling to them .

I also think Bethesda have history with Microsoft and if they were going to be sold they would much prefer to be working with them

I've probably missed this but is it actually an option to lay a Series X on its side? I've seen pictures but have MS designed it with both options in mind?

I’ve pre ordered both consoles but every time I come onto the forums I am finding it hard to justify keeping my PS5 order.

Apart from maybe Spider-Man (which I’ve yet to finish on PS4) I can’t say I’m excited by anything else.

Anyone else who has pre ordered both help me out?

I've probably missed this but is it actually an option to lay a Series X on its side? I've seen pictures but have MS designed it with both options in mind?

Yes it can be vertical or horizontal.

I’ve pre ordered both consoles but every time I come onto the forums I am finding it hard to justify keeping my PS5 order.

Apart from maybe Spider-Man (which I’ve yet to finish on PS4) I can’t say I’m excited by anything else.

Anyone else who has pre ordered both help me out?

I've had no interest in pre-ordering a PS5 for launch. Will get one later in the gen but nothing makes me need one now. Miles Morales is an overpriced DLC expansion, Demon's Souls is a remake of a 10yr old game and niche game re popularity, some love those type of games, orhers can't stand them, and i personally have little interest. AS for the other key exclusives, GT7 would've been the lure for me but no indication of date, same for Horizon and as for GOW i don't think there's any chance of that hitting in 2021 like the suggested.

So ultimately any exclusives of interest are way out just like the bigger Xbox exclusives, but for launch Xbox offers far more for my existing library of unplayed games and is the best option for multiplats so a no brainer. Not to mention Game pass.....

Haven't Sony said the new Spider-Man is coming to PS4, so you could save your money for now and play it on that instead.

Last edited:
Haven't Sony said the new Spider-Man is coming to PS4, so could have your money for now play it on that instead.

Yes and Horizon 2, and no doubt others such as GT7 , GOW etc. They deliberately misled their fans with the whole "we believe in generations" and "making games that fully utilise the benefits of new hardware" etc and let them run with the narrative Xbox supporting old hardware would hold it back, xbox has nothing "Next gen" etc and PS5 is the only place to get "next gen games" nonsense. It was always obvious the likes of Spiderman was a DLC, built on the existing PS4 game engine with some settings bumped up, nothing more, and obviously playable on PS4. The fact they initially hinted they would lock it behind a PS5 paywall would've been a pi55take. They then quietly leaked out this info and the fan boys were made to look stupid. They've since said they will support PS4 for 3-4 years i believe.

As said many times, anything built solely for next gen specs on either side wont be out anywhere near launch as games of quality take years. The likes of Halo etc started development years ago before final specs would've even been nailed down, so obviously current hardware was a focus with scalability for the next gen hardware too.

Hi. General question about 4K gaming - is the difference between 1080 and 4K particularly noticeable at normal viewing distance on a 50” screen? TIA

Yeah - this is why the ip MS nowwon’t come to PS. They’ve crossed over to PC. they are addressing mobile with xcloud. And if they can add maybe a good % more rev from the console pot. Why would ms care about Sony’s players on a small segment (PS5) when viewed against everything.
If ms can address mobile pc and console - they don’t need to ‘win’ a console race and thus don’t need Sony’s gamers to make money. The ip can be exclusive and the volume comes as per dats

CE505E9B-D26B-474F-A1D2-8EA7DEE3C4CA.png

Yes and Horizon 2, and no doubt others such as GT7 , GOW etc. They deliberately misled their fans with the whole "we believe in generations" and "making games that fully utilise the benefits of new hardware" etc and let them run with the narrative Xbox supporting old hardware would hold it back, xbox has nothing "Next gen" etc and PS5 is the only place to get "next gen games" nonsense. It was always obvious the likes of Spiderman was a DLC, built on the existing PS4 game engine with some settings bumped up, nothing more, and obviously playable on PS4. The fact they initially hinted they would lock it behind a PS5 paywall would've been a pi55take. They then quietly leaked out this info and the fan boys were made to look stupid. They've since said they will support PS4 for 3-4 years i believe.

As said many times, anything built solely for next gen specs on either side wont be out anywhere near launch as games of quality take years. The likes of Halo etc started development years ago before final specs would've even been nailed down, so obviously current hardware was a focus with scalability for the next gen hardware too.

I won’t be surprised to see GT7 and GOW2 on the PS4. If they come out in the next couple of years. Based off the fact Sony really sold Horizon 2 as next gen only, which as we know was misleading to say the least.

Hi. General question about 4K gaming - is the difference between 1080 and 4K particularly noticeable at normal viewing distance on a 50” screen? TIA
If the screen is decent 4K yeah. I had an Sony 1080p amd am lg 4K oled set up for a week I’m the same room this gen - so with my pro and one x I could see what’s what. yeah if you sit at a longer distance, maybe not but normal gaming big distance, with games that run at 4K, biiiig dif from my testing.
As other have said HDR which is 4K only tends to be as big a step up. Lighting looking amakNg. If you can can OLED 4K then ideal

Last edited:

It can and even has rubber feet built into the unit for precisely this reason.

Absolutely but having a screen that can do HDR justice is IMO more important.

I don't think MS cares which devices their software goes to as long as people are buying it.
Agree. MS games will be everywhere just not PS. But as we know, PS is a small part of Overall gaming rev pie. Juts ain’t needed when you’ve made the moves ms have in last 3 years

Here's the above chart used and adjusted to show the market Xbox is now aiming at. I've set the start time to the correct place

theres a plus with laying it on its side in that the bottom where the air is taken in is unobstructed

also I would suspect vertically the air intake being on the bottom i bet it sucks up surrounding dust from any unit its placed on

Yeah we sub to newzoo at work.
The stuff behind the sub is even better in terms of analysis 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom