Xbox Series X

Paid £60 for Mario 64, so I have a sense of realism over pricing on next gen.

All of my real life mates and people in the office will go PlayStation. Always have and always will. They've had a PS since PS1 and play maybe a handful of games like Fifa, COD and games like GT or God Of War. They all think its odd I have Xbox when PS is just better. They have no reason for it just its always been that way and they wouldn't consider going Xbox. Most of their mates are the same also. I think this is the case across most of the UK, a lot just go PlayStation because its the norm and takes them back to the days of PS1 and PS2.

I was the same until 360 and saw the Gears advert and needed that game so picked one up and never looked back after picking up the controller that sh*t on the PS3 controller.

PlayStation will always sell more than Xbox and be seen as more successful and Xbox know this and that's why they have gone Xcloud and PC with GamesPass. Get some cash via Subs rather than Hardware sales.

Actually if you look at the sales figures you can actually see, in the U.K. the Xbox is only just behind the PlayStation and doesn’t have quite the dominance you’d think. It’s more across the rest of Europe where it seems to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually if you look at the sales figures you can see, in the U.K. the Xbox is only just behind the PlayStation and doesn’t have quite the dominance you’d think. It’s more across the rest of Europe where it seems to do that.

Sales figures for Xbox won't be accurate as they have not released them for years. They are behind and always will be imo. Your not going to change many peoples opinion on what console to get because of games, price or games pass. Same as trying to convince someone to move from IPhone to Android. And there's nothing wrong with that, people know what they like and stick with it.

Sales figures for Xbox won't be accurate as they have not released them for years. They are behind and always will be imo. Your not going to change many peoples opinion on what console to get because of games, price or games pass. Same as trying to convince someone to move from IPhone to Android. And there's nothing wrong with that, people know what they like and stick with it.

Yeah. This is the reality. Most people don’t even play exclusive games. They buy a new console for Fifa and COD. PS has the stronger brand and always will. 360 did so well because PS3 was a year after it and horribly expensive.

I don’t agree with you and still think people will see that game price and think no, sure they’ll be discounted but they may not be as cheap as current games. Yes the PS5 will still sell, but it isn’t a guarantee it’ll sell as many as the PS4 I don’t think.

It's fine to disagree, but most people will either just accept the highest game prices or be buying them from retailers where the games just aren't as expensive. You can literally pre order PS5 games right now on Amazon for £52 and ultimate editions for £60.
If in 5 years time PlayStation isn't dominating hardware sales by a large margin, as they do each generation then, of course, I'll eat my words.

There’s three lads I work with moving from PS to Xbox, solely because of game pass. All are knowledgeable about games so know how good the service is, my brother on the other hand just asked me what the difference between gold and game pass is, there is no way he will switch from Sony.

Those are the people more likely to move over, those who educate themselves and can see the benefits. However the majority simply don't, and can't be bothered.

It's fine to disagree, but most people will either just accept the highest game prices or be buying them from retailers where the games just aren't as expensive. You can literally pre order PS5 games right now on Amazon for £52 and ultimate editions for £60.
If in 5 years time PlayStation isn't dominating hardware sales by a large margin, as they do each generation then, of course, I'll eat my words.

It is bad how we are disadvantaged with the prices though as it makes the games out to around 86 dollars which I think will be more then the US, difficult to know for sure as no US price includes taxes. I do think it’s a typical Sony ploy though how they announced the price increases. I bet you though the PS5 won’t be as dominant this time round, your in a Netflix age and Sony aren’t following that trend.
Time will tell though as always. I just hope I can get a Series X for Christmas, without pre-ordering.... 😳😕

Oh and we can get my brother in law a PS5 disk edition, to answer your earlier question I only know a handful of console gamers, on my PSN list their is one regular who is all PS, the rest can be offline for months till a game they want is out. A lot of them have Xbox’s too though. In my family it’s just me and my brother in law, and nephew though he seems to be going off gaming these days but he is 17 or nearly 17 so I guess girls and career choices are more his thing lol. He’s a hard working lad.
My bro in law is all PS but that’s because he’s a car nut and lurves Gran Turismo. Me I’m addicted to Gears Of War and COD. And I like Forza Horizon as it’s less in depth.

I have all three current gen, well did till I sold my Xbox One S the other day, I haven’t touched my Switch for ages and have been on COD most of the time. So next gen it’s one console only for me... if I can manage it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to order the X from Amazon, but have £50 in my MS Account also have 70000 rewards points which I can turn into £60, though saw on Reddit MS usually ship 2 days after release.

I was going to order the X from Amazon, but have £50 in my MS Account also have 70000 rewards points which I can turn into £60, though saw on Reddit MS usually ship 2 days after release.

I've got £150 in my MS Account and a bit of cash in my PayPal which is linked so I am going MS Store also. If it's a few days after release I am not too fussed seeing as I will be saving £150+ on the Series X

It’s still 12noon on 22nd Sept. I had no probs getting a pre-order on the Xbox One X so hopefully it will be the same for Series X 😀

It’s still 12noon on 22nd Sept. I had no probs getting a pre-order on the Xbox One X so hopefully it will be the same for Series X 😀
Looks like it's 8am for pre orders

Nice that Microsoft is giving a thorough list out, hopefully they stick to this thing unlike with ps5 and the Nvidias card chaos that's gone on globally.

Demographic wise I'll be interested to see the impact of the series s. With all the discussion 30 something's being the main demographic a cheaper series s may well appeal to kids or parents buying for kids. Get kids in to your brand and when the next gen comes around you've got some loyalty, much the same way that 30 something's started gaming in the era where ps1&2 decimated the competition so it's just what they've always had.

Looks like it's 8am for pre orders

Nice that Microsoft is giving a thorough list out, hopefully they stick to this thing unlike with ps5 and the Nvidias card chaos that's gone on globally.

Demographic wise I'll be interested to see the impact of the series s. With all the discussion 30 something's being the main demographic a cheaper series s may well appeal to kids or parents buying for kids. Get kids in to your brand and when the next gen comes around you've got some loyalty, much the same way that 30 something's started gaming in the era where ps1&2 decimated the competition so it's just what they've always had.
I'm not sure which way this will go.

On the one hand, there's a clear launch time and I hope retailers are better prepared for traffic and stock allocation (AFAIK, none of the retailers selling PS5s knew how much stock they were getting, so I'm not surprised numbers have been initially limited). Sony's ambush preorder launch took everyone off guard.

On the other hand, scalpers and bots will be prepared for the Series X/S launch, and they could make the shortage even worse. Preorders could be hoovered up in next to no time, like the Nvidia mess.

Time will tell.

I think both consoles are likely to release further stock allocations as we go along, so I'd hope everyone gets one if they want one.

But if I genuinely can't, well, I have a One X for now, and I'll pick up a Series X as and when I can.

Scalpers can rot in hell, and take their "as long as I can get mine and make money off others" attitude with them. It's the epitome of pure selfishness, and I'll never buy one off a scalper.

Yeah. This is the reality. Most people don’t even play exclusive games.
I think people do play the exclusives 10million might buy one exclusive and a different 10 million might buy another then different 10 million buy another.

also people might buy them second hand and that doesnt go down as a sold copy so in reality the number of people who have played the game may well be far higher than copies sold

I think people do play the exclusives 10million might buy one exclusive and a different 10 million might buy another then different 10 million buy another.

also people might buy them second hand and that doesnt go down as a sold copy so in reality the number of people who have played the game may well be far higher than copies sold
Yeah but we know the numbers - the vast majority don't play them. Or might the odd one.

Most people are playing fortnite, COD, GTA and FIFA we just know that is the case. It is easy to get swept up when you're following the industry closely and talking to others who do, but in reality your average consumer that's what they're playing.

You occasionally get odd game that breaks through like TLOU, SoT, and Spiderman (not really breaking through because of the IP) and do become more mainstream games in the sense not just that they are played a lot but that even people not interested in them know about them. But the majority - of people in real life who own consoles - they simply do not have a clue as to half the games available.

Off topic but how the hell did you get 70000 reward points? I'm lucky if I get mine up to 6000 for a £5 code.

On topic, I was always going to get a Series X anyway, however the lack of any real 1st party exclusives at launch is a bit of a bummer. Thank god for Gamepass, that's stacked until the end of 2022. Looking at the 'other side' currently and their £70 game prices seems utterly crazy at this point.

Got a stack of physical One games to sell along with the One X so all in all the Series X won't be costing me a massive amount.

Just a new amp and a TV go and I'm set for the next 5 years at least.

Off topic but how the hell did you get 70000 reward points? I'm lucky if I get mine up to 6000 for a £5 code.

On topic, I was always going to get a Series X anyway, however the lack of any real 1st party exclusives at launch is a bit of a bummer. Thank god for Gamepass, that's stacked until the end of 2022. Looking at the 'other side' currently and their £70 game prices seems utterly crazy at this point.

Got a stack of physical One games to sell along with the One X so all in all the Series X won't be costing me a massive amount.

what amp and tv are you looking at getting?

Save them up.
I average about 10000 a month doing the searches and gamespass quests.

Scratch that its probably about 15000+ due to gifting 5000 each month. Already on 10000 at the moment and 1000 to unlock for Games Pass and Streaks.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I get about 15k a month.

Do every gamepass and rewards app quests on the xbox.
Do all daily mobile and pc searches (roughly 250 points a day).

All the above have streak rewards which give about 2-3k a month on top of what you can normally earn.

It soon adds up.

I don't have enough time to play the games i want to play, let alone completing their random quests for things i have zero interest in. That said it's another good addition MS have added to the mix for people who like / benefit from them.

One thing i'm surprised they haven't implemented is a gamerscore related to games played through Gamepass. Obviously you're main score would tally as usual, but if you could then see a split or filter of how much was from GP it would be a constant reminder to any deliberating whether to extend their sub as to how much they've actually played through it, if that is indeed the case.

what amp and tv are you looking at getting?

It will be the new Yamaha RX-V6A, and the Sony XH90 if all goes to plan. Although considering how 2020 has gone so far who knows.

One thing I will say, if anyone is looking to buy new equipment, do it before the end of the year. It is absolutely going to cost you more money in 2021.

Your not going to change many peoples opinion on what console to get because of games, price or games pass. Same as trying to convince someone to move from IPhone to Android.
I've done both, multiple times ;)
Gone from (well Psion and WindowsCE to) android to iPhone, back to Android, and TBH thinking of going back to iPhone again.

Likewise consoles i've moved about a lot as my "main" platform. Sure i'm currently in the Sony camp, but i do reevaluate regularly.
Personally i think it's only a matter of time before i jump back to PC-land, but we'll see.

I am hoping as cross-play becomes more prevelant that one's hardware choice will become less meaningful, as one factor to stay on a platform for many is their friend's list.
With crossplay you can be on a Xbox and still play with PS4 friends, or PC, and even Switch for some games. Then it just becomes about preference of hardware (which could be cost, or physical dimensions of box, or UI), like an operating system, and the software is agnostic above that.

Maybe this new gen cross-play and cross-save will mean we get more choice as to where to play from?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom