Xbox Series X

Goddamit !
Might have to go for the S now or not upgrade at all.......bloody Dishwasher has packed in today and our shower tray is cracked. fudge SAKE !
And our savings were hammered over lockdown.

Can't catch a fudgeing break recently. List of things that have fudgeed me over and my family/wife the last 6 months is getting too long

Well we need the roof repaired and then the wiring in the loft repaired thanks to squirrels getting in!. oh and the car will need a new cat at some point too as it’s blowing. 2020 is one rubbish year for sure.

So it’s been kinda nice to look forward to a new console. It seems for a lot of people it hasn’t rained but poured this year.

That's why I only buy my TV's from John Lewis.
Had a Sony !080p 40" in the Games Room and after 4 years I had a Red Line across the screen, they came out wrote it off and gave me credit. Got a Samsung 43" 4K with credit to spare.

Just a shame my Lounge TV is going on 8+ years with no issues as that requires an upgrade but will have to wait.
yeah i know but i was skint at the time and it was reduced from £799 to something like £600 then I got my dad to open a new account to get an extra 20% off and I had 12 months interest free....oh well its only money haha

+1 for John Lewis

My Samsung KS8000 recently packed up and they ended up giving me a full refund on a 4 year old TV.

Now got a Q80T, fully ready for the Series X with 120hz, VRR etc...
have you had any problems with inverse ghosting or 6 min dimming bug on your Q80T ?

have you had any problems with inverse ghosting or 6 min dimming bug on your Q80T ?

I've not encountered either of those issues luckily.

My biggest issue is that it can't pass through DTS via EARC.

I got my Q90R from Richer Sounds for similar reason to JL, their customer service is top notch and they offer a long warranty... I think it might've even been 6yrs with them i can't recall exactly though, but 5 if not.

Even better was i'd held out for a Black Friday deal and Samsung had a general option in many retailers for their TV's with a free sound bar, so not only was the TV £300 less than it's usual price but it came with a free Samsung soundbar, the cherry on top being RS didn't have any stock left of the soundbar in the deal so they gave me the next one up, which normally retailed at just under £1k on it's own.

I think they’ll notice the £69 game prices.... and more gamers are clued up then you give them credit for.

FYI you were also wrong about the WiFi 6 in some aspects but I didn’t go into it as it was taking this thread off topic too much I thought. One for another day.

They might notice but the majority won't care, they're only buying 4 or 5 games a year. The majority of people who are willing to drop up to £500 on a games console aren't bothered about an extra tenner on the cost of the game they play every year. Nobody noticed or cared that Microsoft's games were cheaper (digitally at least, most shop shelves there was barely a difference) on Xbox one / PS4 generation.

The majority of gamers don't read any of this stuff, they see a headline, release date and price, that's it. I've spoke to plenty today, and I ain't talking about online, is online are actually only a fraction of those that but consoles, none of them knew that Xbox series x is more powerful, they didn't know about any of the pre order chaos that happened last night, many didn't even know about the discless version. The average working lad with the money to spend on these things, who make up the majority of console owners, do not read this stuff.

The series X will not fit in the shelf on my TV bench, it's a large bench too! :(

No, I'm not buying the S :)

Seriously, I need to find a new TV bench to house this thing. I'm using the IKEA besta, wonder if it can be modified hehe
These are Besta units... and they have removable shelves that Will easily fit the new console.
20200917_210205.jpg

The series X will not fit in the shelf on my TV bench, it's a large bench too! :(

No, I'm not buying the S :)

Seriously, I need to find a new TV bench to house this thing. I'm using the IKEA besta, wonder if it can be modified hehe

This might be a stupid question but why can’t you put it on the top next to your TV?

This might be a stupid question but why can’t you put it on the top next to your TV?

PXL_20200914_210212577.jpg

Operation Lego Series X is going well for the new arrival in November.

I kinda think that crowd (FIFA, COD, Fortnite, WZ) will be going Series S TBH. 250 quid for ‘next gen’.

I'm sure some will, particularly the younger Fortnite crowd, but the COD/FIFA crowd, if they are on PlayStation now, it sounds like they are sticking with PlayStation. Series S sounds great to me, but to must its a next gen system with compromises.

They might notice but the majority won't care, they're only buying 4 or 5 games a year. The majority of people who are willing to drop up to £500 on a games console aren't bothered about an extra tenner on the cost of the game they play every year. Nobody noticed or cared that Microsoft's games were cheaper (digitally at least, most shop shelves there was barely a difference) on Xbox one / PS4 generation.

The majority of gamers don't read any of this stuff, they see a headline, release date and price, that's it. I've spoke to plenty today, and I ain't talking about online, is online are actually only a fraction of those that but consoles, none of them knew that Xbox series x is more powerful, they didn't know about any of the pre order chaos that happened last night, many didn't even know about the discless version. The average working lad with the money to spend on these things, who make up the majority of console owners, do not read this stuff.

Firstly I don’t know if any console that costs £500, and secondly I hardly think you asking a few of your mates constitutes as evidence the same opinion can be shared across the nation.
The game sales will show if it has an impact, sorry but I think to say no one will care Sony is charging more money for games is being a bit naive, no they won’t read this stuff but as I said they will see that games price.

Firstly I don’t know if any console that costs £500, and secondly I hardly think you asking a few of your mates constitutes as evidence the same opinion can be shared across the nation.
The game sales will show if it has an impact, sorry but I think to say no one will care Sony is charging more money for games is being a bit naive, no they won’t read this stuff but as I said they will see that games price.

Nah he’s right. Most of the market don’t follow gaming closely and just hear there is a new PS or Xbox coming out and buy whatever they normally buy. Most buy PS. It’s just the way it is. Like with any product. They won’t even know about the prices of games. And by the time they do...
It’s why Xbox marketing is criticised so much. They have gamepass but don’t promote it to the very people who might find it benefits them the most. Seem to rely on network style marketing via YouTube and influencers but the main market aren’t watching this stuff.

I got my Q90R from Richer Sounds for similar reason to JL, their customer service is top notch and they offer a long warranty... I think it might've even been 6yrs with them i can't recall exactly though, but 5 if not.

Even better was i'd held out for a Black Friday deal and Samsung had a general option in many retailers for their TV's with a free sound bar, so not only was the TV £300 less than it's usual price but it came with a free Samsung soundbar, the cherry on top being RS didn't have any stock left of the soundbar in the deal so they gave me the next one up, which normally retailed at just under £1k on it's own.

I got this tv too , it’s a belter. Yeah mine was from RS and it’s 6 years I’m sure

Nah he’s right. Most of the market don’t follow gaming closely and just hear there is a new PS or Xbox coming out and buy whatever they normally buy. Most buy PS. It’s just the way it is. Like with any product. They won’t even know about the prices of games. And by the time they do...
It’s why Xbox marketing is criticised so much. They have gamepass but don’t promote it to the very people who might find it benefits them the most. Seem to rely on network style marketing via YouTube and influencers but the main market aren’t watching this stuff.

So people won’t notice games going from £55 to £69 then? I agree Game Pass could be promoted better.

I said up to £500, because after spending buying another controller and or a game your paying £500.

The average console owner is 33 year old, working, males. I work in construction alongside about 50 bloke's who fall in and around this average. About 2 thirds or so seem to own a console, only 2 of those have anything close to the knowledge of these consoles that I have. They represent a majority of console owners, not us, who spend time online trading and discussing. Most of them don't even have Twitter accounts and think that chatting on a forum is weird. They are literally laughing at me as I type this for having this debate with you in my break time. Staff that work the night shift at the facility we are working at currently seem to feel the same way and have a similar lack of knowledge.

They want to play the latest COD(some prefer Destiny)+FIFA, and other individual big releases like God of War and GTA, and they feel PlayStation is the place to do it, and there is very little Microsoft can do about it.

Perhaps release early, like a year or so as they did with 360, but even then that only gets them a head start, PlayStation still catches up at some point. They need a substantially more powerful machine at a substantially lower price.

So people won’t notice games going from £55 to £69 then? I agree Game Pass could be promoted better.

They may notice it, but for the sake of 4 or 5 games a year the majority won't be bothered, but also the majority are still buying games from Asda or Amazon where they are heavily discounted compared to digital.

I've literally got bloke's telling me now that while it ain't ideal it ain't gonna move them to Xbox.

Also go look at the PS5 forum, very few people over there are complaining about the more expensive games, and it doesn't seem to be swaying anybody there, in fact most are justifying and defending it.

They may notice it, but for the sake of 4 or 5 games a year the majority won't be bothered, but also the majority are still buying games from Asda or Amazon where they are heavily discounted compared to digital.

I've literally got bloke's telling me now that while it ain't ideal it ain't gonna move them to Xbox.

Also go look at the PS5 forum, very few people over there are complaining about the more expensive games, and it doesn't seem to be swaying anybody there, in fact most are justifying and defending it.

This forum isn’t a good point of reference for an argument though, I would consider posters here to be hardcore fans akin to those posting in You Tube videos. Plus we must only total 30 regular posters here?
Who are these blokes you’ve spoken to? How many? It amounts like a small sample.

I don’t agree with you and still think people will see that game price and think no, sure they’ll be discounted but they may not be as cheap as current games. Yes the PS5 will still sell, but it isn’t a guarantee it’ll sell as many as the PS4 I don’t think.

Last edited by a moderator:
... in fact most are justifying and defending it.
What reasons though?

One could argue about inflation, and games comparitively becoming cheaper; higher development costs, as gamers expect higher quality (visuals / production / expereiences); the cut development companies get vs the publishers, and what pay actually goes to the contractors and salaried staff doing crunch; or maybe the "excessive" amounts CEOs and shareholders get, thats where some of your MTX and higher sticker-prices are going to, not into the games themselves.

Personally i'm fine with higher costs for both console hardware and games, IF it's going somewhere appropriate: like into making better games and paying staff.
If it's going into marketing, or planning new DLC cosmetic items to make more DLC cosmetic items, or to pay upper management, then i have more concerns.

This forum isn’t a good point of reference for an argument though, I would consider posters here to be hardcore fans akin to those posting in You Tube videos. Plus we must only total 30 regular posters here?
Who are these blokes you’ve spoken to? How many? It amounts like a small sample.

I don’t agree with you and still think people will see that game price and think no, sure they’ll be discounted but they may not be as cheap as current games. Yes the PS5 will still sell, but it isn’t a guarantee it’ll sell as many as the PS4 I don’t think.

Over the course of 2 nights at work over 30 bloke's have probably been involved in this conversation, a few like me have Xbox and seem to want to stay with Xbox, the rest are PlayStation, and none of them are showing any interest in switching, even those who know about the more powerful Xbox, even those that know the games are more expensive, and those that don't know didn'tt seem to care. And yeah I'm the grand scheme of things it is a small sample of people, but it's a sample of the sort of people who make up the majority of console owners. That's how surveys are done, question a sample of people and scale the results up to the relevant population. Mt judgment from this may be off by some, as I ain't really considering other populations like kids etc, but considering that the sort of people who read forums aren't really being swayed, the average gamer (working, 33 year old male) population don't seem to be swayed by any of it, and nobody I have spoke to online or in person is being swayed by any of it, it's fair to say that there's probably not many people who will be, certainly not enough to make a dent in Sony's dominance. Maybe after over spoken to my nephew's and niece's this weekend I might see something different, but I doubt it.

How many people online or in person have you seen our spoken to that are being swayed from PlayStation to Xbox because of any of this stuff? I've yet to see one person.

What reasons though?

One could argue about inflation, and games comparitively becoming cheaper; higher development costs, as gamers expect higher quality (visuals / production / expereiences); the cut development companies get vs the publishers, and what pay actually goes to the contractors and salaried staff doing crunch; or maybe the "excessive" amounts CEOs and shareholders get, thats where some of your MTX and higher sticker-prices are going to, not into the games themselves.

Personally i'm fine with higher costs for both console hardware and games, IF it's going somewhere appropriate: like into making better games and paying staff.
If it's going into marketing, or planning new DLC cosmetic items to make more DLC cosmetic items, or to pay upper management, then i have more concerns.

The reasons are kind of irrelevant to the debate we are having really. But defending and justifying it for the purposes of choosing s console doesn't make sense when the games on the other console have the same or similar market constraints but are cheaper.

Oh i didn't realise MS had officially announced Xbox Series X game prices, and were cheaper, as 3rd party ones were us$70 also.

Sorry for adding irrelevant comments to the discussion.

Over the course of 2 nights at work over 30 bloke's have probably been involved in this conversation, a few like me have Xbox and seem to want to stay with Xbox, the rest are PlayStation, and none of them are showing any interest in switching, even those who know about the more powerful Xbox, even those that know the games are more expensive, and those that don't know didn'tt seem to care. And yeah I'm the grand scheme of things it is a small sample of people, but it's a sample of the sort of people who make up the majority of console owners. That's how surveys are done, question a sample of people and scale the results up to the relevant population. Mt judgment from this may be off by some, as I ain't really considering other populations like kids etc, but considering that the sort of people who read forums aren't really being swayed, the average gamer (working, 33 year old male) population don't seem to be swayed by any of it, and nobody I have spoke to online or in person is being swayed by any of it, it's fair to say that there's probably not many people who will be, certainly not enough to make a dent in Sony's dominance. Maybe after over spoken to my nephew's and niece's this weekend I might see something different, but I doubt it.

How many people online or in person have you seen our spoken to that are being swayed from PlayStation to Xbox because of any of this stuff? I've yet to see one person.

There’s three lads I work with moving from PS to Xbox, solely because of game pass. All are knowledgeable about games so know how good the service is, my brother on the other hand just asked me what the difference between gold and game pass is, there is no way he will switch from Sony.

I’ve no problem paying a bit extra for a game.
I’ll just be using game pass and my back catalogue and only buying the odd game at retail. Given the time and huge investment involved it’s really not that bad.
I remember paying £40 for sega mega drive games

All of my real life mates and people in the office will go PlayStation. Always have and always will. They've had a PS since PS1 and play maybe a handful of games like Fifa, COD and games like GT or God Of War. They all think its odd I have Xbox when PS is just better. They have no reason for it just its always been that way and they wouldn't consider going Xbox. Most of their mates are the same also. I think this is the case across most of the UK, a lot just go PlayStation because its the norm and takes them back to the days of PS1 and PS2.

I was the same until 360 and saw the Gears advert and needed that game so picked one up and never looked back after picking up the controller that shit on the PS3 controller.

PlayStation will always sell more than Xbox and be seen as more successful and Xbox know this and that's why they have gone Xcloud and PC with GamesPass. Get some cash via Subs rather than Hardware sales.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom