Xbox Series X

Who cares about wifi 6... surely most people serious about their gaming would have their consoles wired anyway, either directly into the router if near it or via homeplugs if not.

Even if you don't the difference for a single device is not going to be noticed.

Many people report when using a WiFi 6 router, of which their are many on the market now, that all their WiFi is improved across all there devices, I don’t have one personally so can not verify this but it seems to be a common theme people claim. So you may not necessarily need a WiFi 6 device to take advantage of it. And as for wiring the console, WiFi is more then good enough to keep up on multiplayer games as they use small amounts of data, you just need to configure it properly. Saves having to trail cables all around your house. Of course cable is better but I disagree with this theory ‘serious gamers’ use cables, surely serious gamers would be using PC’s running games at silly FPS?

Many people report when using a WiFi 6 router, of which their are many on the market now, that all their WiFi is improved across all there devices, I don’t have one personally so can not verify this but it seems to be a common theme people claim. So you may not necessarily need a WiFi 6 device to take advantage of it. And as for wiring the console, WiFi is more then good enough to keep up on multiplayer games as they use small amounts of data, you just need to configure it properly. Saves having to trail cables all around your house. Of course cable is better but I disagree with this theory ‘serious gamers’ use cables, serious gamers would be using PC’s running games at silly FPS.

You don't need cables all around your house, you can just buy a set of home plugs. Wired is far more stable and reliable than wifi, it's not just about data. Also, you can be a serious gamer without being on PC., it just means you want the best set up you can have for whatever you're using, be it decent connection, TV, headphones whatever.

You don't need cables all around your house, you can just buy a set of home plugs. Wired is far more stable and reliable than wifi, it's not just about data. Also, you can be a serious gamer without being on PC., it just means you want the best set up you can have for whatever you're using, be it decent connection, TV, headphones whatever.

Home Plugs are not compatible with all house wiring and they can also build up interference on your broadband connection and make it worst. They are not the complete solution people think and in some instances are worst then WiFi.
Again if you wanted the best you’d use a gaming PC. I would still argue WiFi is still capable when configured properly.
If your console is next to your router then sure people use cable, if it’s where your master tor socket is in your house, where your modem is as it should be, then that’s not so easy.

Home Plugs are not compatible with all house wiring and they can also build up interference on your broadband connection and make it worst. They are not the complete solution people think and in some instances are worst then WiFi.
And if you wanted the best you’d use a gaming PC. I would still argue WiFi is more then good enough for most when configured properly.

I didn't say "wanted the best". I mentioned serious gamers, which can be on any platfirm of choice.

1600245349155.png

Ok let’s backtrack a bit, if you have the ability to use an Ethernet cable with your Xbox then sure go right ahead, it will give you the more reliable connection.
But if you do not have that ability, or do not want to lay cables around your property, then a wireless solution can be a very good alternative IF it’s configured correctly, and of course that will depend on your home and local variances like interference.

You have to again remember, we are the weirdos who know about this stuff and care about performance. I will always favour a cable over WiFi, but that's because I know full well it will be more stable with higher capacity and my internet speeds will utilise that capacity.

My brother however doesn't give a stuff, if he can play games he's happy, he has what's near his router plugged in, and what not near his router on WiFi, and that suits him just fine. He isn't interested in spending time or money getting every last byte of data he can out of his devices, as long as it does what he wants it to do, which is download and then play games. How many people didn't even bother buying ethernet adapters for their Nintendo switches because WiFi was good enough?

When push comes to shove to download and play a game AC is good enough for most people in its current state even to play cloud based games. When gigabit connections are the norm and we are pushing much more data to stream 8K games it may well be a different story. It's the same with internet connections, yes fibre to the property is fantastic, but for most people VDSL or 4g fixed wireless is fast enough for their needs.

You have to again remember, we are the weirdos who know about this stuff and care about performance. I will always favour a cable over WiFi, but that's because I know full well it will be more stable with higher capacity and my internet speeds will utilise that capacity.

My brother however doesn't give a stuff, if he can play games he's happy, he has what's near his router plugged in, and what not near his router on WiFi, and that suits him just fine. He isn't interested in spending time or money getting every last byte of data he can out of his devices, as long as it does what he wants it to do, which is download and then play games. How many people didn't even bother buying ethernet adapters for their Nintendo switches because WiFi was good enough?

When push comes to shove to download and play a game AC is good enough for most people in its current state even to play cloud based games. When gigabit connections are the norm and we are pushing much more data to stream 8K games it may well be a different story. It's the same with internet connections, yes fibre to the property is fantastic, but for most people VDSL or 4g fixed wireless is fast enough for their needs.

Oh yes we are all weirdos in this regard lol! But I agree, I’m lucky I have FTTC at 75MBPS, I keep an eye on broadband s news though and pretty much have zero chance as it currently stands of getting FTTH, perhaps if I buy a new home I will get it?
Otherwise I can pay the thousands to have the cable installed..
If 5G ever gets to my area with a decent signal I’m off cables though, that’ll be faster then what I currently have.

I think more than the WiFi, it's more of a shame they could not put a USB C in there............ Given the size of the SSD in both the S X (and PS5) I was hoping to be using an external HDD and then transfer games onto the SSD to play them, but that will mean moving lots of data back and forth so the increased speeds would have been useful.........

I think more than the WiFi, it's more of a shame they could not put a USB C in there............ Given the size of the SSD in both the S X (and PS5) I was hoping to be using an external HDD and then transfer games onto the SSD to play them, but that will mean moving lots of data back and forth so the increased speeds would have been useful.........

I agree with this, but it is using USB 3.1 gen 1 which can run at up to 5GBPS.

Oh yes we are all weirdos in this regard lol! But I agree, I’m lucky I have FTTC at 75MBPS, I keep an eye on broadband s news though and pretty much have zero chance as it currently stands of getting FTTH, perhaps if I buy a new home I will get it?
Otherwise I can pay the thousands to have the cable installed..
If 5G ever gets to my area with a decent signal I’m off cables though, that’ll be faster then what I currently have.
I work for a fibre company and have gigabit, I keep trying to say to management that they do understand our biggest weakness is being slow to install for a brand new property we knew about in advance means people will temporarily try 4g while they wait and realise that actually it's good enough for their needs if they aren't a high end user and means we don't have and dig up their driveway. They don't listen and let me be proactive to speed things up to make sure that those users meet have to try 4g to find out it's actually a decent service that meets all their needs.

Usb c does seem an oversight as it's on the controllers, but is it much benefit going usb c to usb c instead of just driving with usb a on the console end?

I am not an expert, but believe USB C can use USB 3.1 generation 2 which can have up to 10 GBPS rather than USB generation 1 which is only up to 5 GBPS - so it "could" have meant up to double the transfer speed....... Not going to have seen that but definitely would have the potential to have been quicker and can see the next 1st world problem for us all is going to be moving games from cheap hard drives to the console SSD to play them

I work for a fibre company and have gigabit, I keep trying to say to management that they do understand our biggest weakness is being slow to install for a brand new property we knew about in advance means people will temporarily try 4g while they wait and realise that actually it's good enough for their needs if they aren't a high end user and means we don't have and dig up their driveway. They don't listen and let me be proactive to speed things up to make sure that those users meet have to try 4g to find out it's actually a decent service that meets all their needs.

Usb c does seem an oversight as it's on the controllers, but is it much benefit going usb c to usb c instead of just driving with usb a on the console end?

Yes, the state of the UK’s broadband is a bit sad overall.

As for USB C, and WiFi 6 missing from the Series X plus all the other things like an evolved controller and improved existing OS, it all adds up to saving costs to me, that’s why I think the PS5 price is going to be surprising to many, either cheaper then thought or as i ‘think’ more expensive. If it ends up being cheaper then Microsoft will deserve some criticism why it didn’t include the features.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never use wifi if I can avoid it - which is on everything with a ethernet socket basically. Even my firesticks are using ethernet.

Apolloa - how many people (or devices) in your house using wifi at once ? As if its a lot this is much more of an issue and if there isnt not so much. So Unless you have mulitple access points for these deveices, the wifi access point server each one at a time, round robin style. Were as wired doesn't have that issue at the point of connection, unless its the 90's and your using a hub rather than a switch.

Also Wifi has a amount of increased lag in both directions than wired which I don't really have issue with but if I was online fps gaming I would care about.

But yeah all this is easy to say when your prepared to lift the carpet or drill the walls and not so much if you aren't or cant.

Powerlines can be very good, but its a crap shoot on your house wiring, I tested 14 different sets for a well know ISP a few years ago as a consultant and didnt see any broadband issues at the time - it was a few years ago now, but the shielding is good on these. (if you use these heres a tip , dont put a phone charger next to one....word to the wise)

Never use wifi if I can avoid it - which is on everything with a ethernet socket basically. Even my firesticks are using ethernet.

Apolloa - how many people (or devices) in your house using wifi at once ? As if its a lot this is much more of an issue and if there isnt not so much. So Unless you have mulitple access points for these deveices, the wifi access point server each one at a time, round robin style. Were as wired doesn't have that issue at the point of connection, unless its the 90's and your using a hub rather than a switch.

Also Wifi has a amount of increased lag in both directions than wired which I don't really have issue with but if I was online fps gaming I would care about.

But yeah all this is easy to say when your prepared to lift the carpet or drill the walls and not so much if you aren't or cant.

Powerlines can be very good, but its a crap shoot on your house wiring, I tested 14 different sets for a well know ISP a few years ago as a consultant and didnt see any broadband issues at the time - it was a few years ago now, but the shielding is good on these. (if you use these heres a tip , dont put a phone charger next to one....word to the wise)

I have one AP built into my router and on average 6 to 10 devices access it all at once with no problems at all. If you use newer food quality kit WiFi has the tech to handle many devices without issue.

Sure it works, its more an effeciency thing. Less wifi devices on a single AP means they all response more quickly and if there using a lot of bandwidth it makes a difference, I have a NAS providing video and 350 mb Broadband and the wifi is only used for tablets/phones in our house - I want the Xbox/PS4 PC/NAS and Firesticks able to access video and downloads as fast as possible and the tablets and phone to work well as there not fighting the consoles/TV for bandwidth. It part of my Job also so profession pride also pushes my to have a good setup at home.

I have noticed that when I have multiple devices in use it doesn’t really affect the download speed of the Xbox. It gives a good reading. Hopefully the Series X has multiple downloads at once though and also auto updates like the PS does. Am I right in thinking Microsoft said this would be a feature on the Series X?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least the Series X / S isn't launching with an older Wi-Fi standard. I'm looking at you launch PS4 with no 5 GHz support, because Sony went cheap on the wireless chip. I couldn't believe it when I first set up the PS4 and it wouldn't connect to my 5 GHz network. I thought I had done something wrong.

If I remember correctly, Sony used the same brand wireless chip as Microsoft did in the Xbox One, but a version down from it that didn't support 5 GHz Wi-Fi. They added 5 GHz Wi-Fi support in the PS4 Slim, but removed the Optical Out.

I’ve used every console on WiFi since I got the wireless adaptor for my launch 360, never had any problems. I’d like to go wired but it’s not possible in my house, and as I’ve never had any problems I don’t see the need for homeplugs.

I think the lack of USB-C is the biggest shame as I prefer it to USB-A and other devices seem to all be going that way, but it’s not a big deal.

The problems with wi fi is people connected to multiplayer games if their signal strength is terrible in the red then they cut out lag and if theyre the host is a peer to peer game its unplayable

Looks like a Series X would cost me at most £275 thanks to Rewards and cheap credit. Will probably cost alot less as its my Birthday in October and always get loads of Amazon Vouchers.

Still very tempted in a Series S as it would probably cost me nothing.... But fudge it let's get the big boy for a big boy!

Last edited:
Not to start an argument but for those that might not have seen ps5 will be the same price for the full and $399/£359 for the digital one.

Super interesting that the digital one seems to be the same without the drive and splits the difference between the 2 Xboxes.

Launch in some regions is 12/11 but UK it's 19/11.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom