Xbox Series X

well add a new amp to your list as well as older amps can not pass-through 4k video or use ARC meaning no 5.1 audio, unless you can push the audio out the tv using hdmi or optical to the amp so using the tv as a passthrough.
My amp is really weird, 4k pass through is fine, but no HDR. So the Xbox one s and PS4 are now directly to the TV. Then I have a weird issue with arc and dolby digital so somehow it's now working as an arc connected amp control wise but with the sound going over optical. It's all working but it's a real mess and despite knowing how to get it to work I don't have as clue why it's working like this. I can't justify the Atmos upgrade just yet, debating getting atmos for headphones but until there's more games with it a full set up is just a bit over the top.

For some reason you ignored my post. I’ve given you the solution. If you don’t want to buy a new receiver buy an avrkey.

think I might get one of these

as I have a Yamaha rx-3900 for some years and could do with a upgrade, but there not yet

well add a new amp to your list as well as older amps can not pass-through 4k video or use ARC meaning no 5.1 audio, unless you can push the audio out the tv using hdmi or optical to the amp so using the tv as a passthrough.
I don't use an amp but if I did the thought of upgrading to a new one would make me happy. :)

I tweeted Xbox in regards to supporting Bluetooth headsets and they didn’t confirm nor deny, just said that information won’t be released yet. If it doesn’t support Bluetooth then that’s very weak in my opinion as even their own Surface Earbuds work across different ecosystems.

No optical out is hugely disappointing with my setup, so it will require other kit to be changed to continue using a headset, making it more expensive.

No optical out is hugely disappointing with my setup, so it will require other kit to be changed to continue using a headset, making it more expensive.

Depends on the headset as some might work via USB if updated. And it is a frustration but decent headsets can be had quite cheap now and ones that plug into controller can be had for around £50 and work very well with Atmos or Sonic.

Would like the optical but it's not something that is putting me off. Got used to it with the PS4 Slim.

No audio out makes my astro a50s worthless

Dam decent of them especially as I'm a relatively new user with them..

Anyone needing optical for headset like astros just use tv optical out. It makes no difference. I used to have consoles seperately linked to my TB X41 base unit via optical splitter then the Slim didnt have one. At that point i just linked tv to base unit and amp by splitter instead and works fine for everything.

Anyone needing optical for headset like astros just use tv optical out. It makes no difference. I used to have consoles seperately linked to my TB X41 base unit via optical splitter then the Slim didnt have one. At that point i just linked tv to base unit and amp by splitter instead and works fine for everything.

Does the mic still work for voice chat?

Does the mic still work for voice chat?

Well on the X41s you had the chat cable into the controller anyway so was fine. Game audio over optical.

If Astros work like that then it should be fine. If they dont use chat cable then not sure....

Just been on the Astro website and if you click into an Xbox headset page it states this....

"All current ASTRO Gaming products designed for Xbox One will offer continuous compatibility on Xbox: Series X"

Well on the X41s you had the chat cable into the controller anyway so was fine. Game audio over optical.
Ahh the X41s. What a fantastic headset that was. I remember trying them with Gears of War for the first time back in the day and they simply blew me away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been on the Astro website and if you click into an Xbox headset page it states this....

"All current ASTRO Gaming products designed for Xbox One will offer continuous compatibility on Xbox: Series X"

That’s good news! I have Turtle Beach XP500’s (bought for 360) which are good for sound and use the base station via USB on my PC but I can’t get them to work via the controller on the Xbox so bought a cheap Turtle Beach headset but it isn’t great for game audio.

I read somewhere that Bluetooth is in the Series X Controller to allow it to work with PC/Xcloud but Bluetooth transmission speed and latency is not good enough for the new low latency input lag reduction MS is working on and will use proprietary wireless connection. I was hoping they would use Bluetooth for Audio so I could get one new really good wireless headset.

That’s good news! I have Turtle Beach XP500’s (bought for 360) which are good for sound and use the base station via USB on my PC but I can’t get them to work via the controller on the Xbox so bought a cheap Turtle Beach headset but it isn’t great for game audio.

I read somewhere that Bluetooth is in the Series X Controller to allow it to work with PC/Xcloud but Bluetooth transmission speed and latency is not good enough for the new low latency input lag reduction MS is working on and will use proprietary wireless connection. I was hoping they would use Bluetooth for Audio so I could get one new really good wireless headset.

Ive now got the Steelseries Arctis 9X which use the Xbox proprietary wireless tech for connecting, same as a controller, so completely wireless, but are also bluetooth so you can have a phone etc connected also.

Maybe they'd tick the boxes you're looking for?

Ive now got the Steelseries Arctis 9X which use the Xbox proprietary wireless tech for connecting, same as a controller, so completely wireless, but are also bluetooth so you can have a phone etc connected also.

Maybe they'd tick the boxes you're looking for?

How is the 9X mate? Came out to pretty much glowing reviews on media outlets but then I heard more mixed reviews from consumers. Would be nice to go all wireless for the Series X!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom