Xbox Series X

It certainly looks quite bulky, but then again with the power we’re looking at and the cooling requirements etc I suppose that’s to be expected. I still think £449, I think they’ll struggle if it’s more than that. Updated the thread title.

It certainly looks quite bulky, but then again with the power we’re looking at and the cooling requirements etc I suppose that’s to be expected. I still think £449, I think they’ll struggle if it’s more than that. Updated the thread title.
I don't think they will struggle if it's more than £450, people are paying £1000 for a mobile phone these days.

I don't think they will struggle if it's more than £450, people are paying £1000 for a mobile phone these days.
I'd happily pay more if it meant it was going to be as powerful as can be, but you and me are the minority, i too think they will struggle if it's more than £450-500.
Sony priced themselves out of the market with the ps3 and look what happened, people went out and bought the 360.

Hopefully the new pad has that textured grip on the underside of the handles as well. Having changed from a standard XBO pad to one of those SE recon pads, the comfort level is so much better imo. If not, I’ll just stick with my current recon controller.

Don't forget there's going to be a lower price SKU as well. When Sony priced themselves high with the PS3 there was no lower option.

There are a couple of markets here. Us enthusiasts that are adults and (hopefully) have a reasonable amount of disposable cash and then there are the parents that have no clue about gaming themselves and are buying for the kids. Very few parents will want to pay £499 for a console for their kids and that's where the Lockhart comes in (don't know what series that's going to be called yet). For the adult enthusiasts there'll be the beast Series X.

MS have broken the form factor which must indicate the power they're having to deal with and I expect the price to be at the upper end of what people will pay for a console, no doubt about that. I'd rather have the two SKU approach which then means they can push the high end as high as they can knowing that they've got a lower entry model as well. With a one SKU approach you're trying to hit that middle ground where you've got good power, but not too much that you have to charge the earth for it, it's a compromise. Give me an expensive console that justifies its price with its hardware and I'll pay for it day 1.

So are we expecting a bigger leap with the next gen than the one with the previous gen?

So are we expecting a bigger leap with the next gen than the one with the previous gen?
Yeah, I think ray tracing is going to be a game changer in addition to the extra power. If you look at the Hellblade II trailer it looks almost photo realistic in places, part of that will be the increased rendering power, but more realistic light, shadows and reflections make a hell of a difference.

Yeah, I think ray tracing is going to be a game changer in addition to the extra power. If you look at the Hellblade II trailer it looks almost photo realistic in places, part of that will be the increased rendering power, but more realistic light, shadows and reflections make a hell of a difference.

I never even bother taking notice of trailers tbh as the game never looks anything like them.

I never even bother taking notice of trailers tbh as the game never looks anything like them.
This isn't CGI, it's real time in-engine, so not actual gameplay so you're right there, but real time in-engine is pretty damn good. If you want to see what actual games are going to look like you'll be out of luck until E3 next June.

I see people talking about current gen and next gen but I was under the impression this wasn't how the new consoles would work, it wouldn't be a brand new generation with new console specific titles like with the release of the 360 and Xbox One but rather it would be like PC gaming has always been where there will be a single game that will work on all consoles but the experience will depend on the console so for instance the next Halo game when played on an Xbox One S could be 720p/30fps but on the One X it would be 4K/30fps and on the Series X it would be 4K/60fps, something like that.

Basically buying the new console will be like giving your PC an upgrade with everything you already had working just like it always did but now taking advantage of the extra power to offer a far superior experience.

I see people talking about current gen and next gen but I was under the impression this wasn't how the new consoles would work, it wouldn't be a brand new generation with new console specific titles like with the release of the 360 and Xbox One but rather it would be like PC gaming has always been where there will be a single game that will work on all consoles but the experience will depend on the console so for instance the next Halo game when played on an Xbox One S could be 720p/30fps but on the One X it would be 4K/30fps and on the Series X it would be 4K/60fps, something like that.

Basically buying the new console will be like giving your PC an upgrade with everything you already had working just like it always did but now taking advantage of the extra power to offer a far superior experience.
On the MS side of things that's pretty much how it's going to work, in terms of backwards compatibility anyway. If you buy the new console then all the old games will still work and they'll perform better on the new, more powerful hardware. If there was a game that couldn't reach 4K all the time on the One X, the frame rate would drop and would checkerboard down in resolution it should run at 4K and have a solid frame rate on the Series X.

The difference is that at some point (don't know when they're going to phase out the old Xbox One models) if you stay on the old console, games will come out that you just can't run, those games will be exclusive to the Series X. It's still kind of like that on PC, each PC game will have a recommended minimum spec, I guess if you're below that spec you could still try and run it and it would play like garbage but you could still have a go. Here, the minimum spec isn't recommended it's enforced by just not being available on the old machine.

On the Playstation side of things I don't know how they're going to do backwards compatibility. I'm sure their system will run the old games, but not sure whether there'll be improved performance due to the new, more capable hardware.

Have they said that you will get improvements on old games? Or we just think thats going to be a given? For example If you boot up the X1 version of Destiny 2 are we likely to then be able to do 60 FPS on it or are we just talking about changes they can do on top that wont require the developer to work on patches like increasing sharpness or something like that?

Have they said that you will get improvements on old games? Or we just think thats going to be a given? For example If you boot up the X1 version of Destiny 2 are we likely to then be able to do 60 FPS on it or are we just talking about changes they can do on top that wont require the developer to work on patches like increasing sharpness or something like that?

For games that already have a locked resolution and/or locked frame rate then a game specific patch will be required (the same way it is now) but more and more games seem to be shipping with unlocked frame rates and dynamic resolutions that scale depending on the work load so with the increased power of the Series X its only logical to assume that games that can currently only manage 30-40s in an unlocked frame rate mode will be able to achieve a locked 60fps and the same is true for games that can technically do native 4K but most of the time hover in the 1800p region, these will be able to achieve full 4K on the more powerful hardware.

Last edited:
I don't like the sound of that, I want games to be made specifically for that console to utilise everything that it can offer.

I don't like the sound of that, I want games to be made specifically for that console to utilise everything that it can offer.

No reason they won't be able too, I suspect it will be a similar situation to now where X users receive additional content to download, those same games played on an OG Xbox just run a scaled back version to work on the hardware limitations, on the more powerful hardware those restrictions are lifted and you get the extra texture/physics/resolution/frame etc benefits.

Controller bumpers look more like the 360 controller's. Hopefully, they've improved the bumper button design from this generation, as it's prone to breaking eventually.

Series X for me. Interesting they've announced three models already, so I wonder if the X will get replaced a few years in with a more powerful edition, like X1 and X1X.

I would assume going forward the One X will become the standard with other versions still working at a lower res.
At some point though the One S or original One won't work with some games, few years off I reckon though.

Controller bumpers look more like the 360 controller's. Hopefully, they've improved the bumper button design from this generation, as it's prone to breaking eventually.

Series X for me. Interesting they've announced three models already, so I wonder if the X will get replaced a few years in with a more powerful edition, like X1 and X1X.

They haven't announced other models as yet.

I've been a PS man for a good few years but must admit the Hellblade trailer looks waaay better than Godfall.

Like I said, I will be buying whichever is the most powerful.

Blimey - I’ve just realised how small the new machine is. 30 x 15 x 15cm. I only saw images of it earlier today and hadn’t been here for a while, so when I saw it I thought it was like one of those mini tower things. Which it is, I suppose, but at just under a foot tall and about 6” wide and deep, I’m impressed.

With all the power in that thing, I’ll be standing it upright to the right of my tv to make damned sure plenty of air gets around it. Not sure I’d want to shoehorn all that power into a tight shelf tbh. The more I look at it, the more I’m loving the look of it. Very simplistic and understated. I’m guessing the design also aids cooling and quietness. Sony may go for a more intricate design which is all very well, but IF it runs hot and sounds like a jet engine. . .

Last edited:
Controller pretty much the same the share button is a big add because i get really annoyed pressing the xbox button which then brings up the in game menu and you have to take a screen shot with the menu showing makes me think every time ive taken a screen shot of the menu.

The console is about 84% larger than an xbox one X

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom