Xbox Series X

Nobody has unveiled a launch game bar Halo that I actively want to play. And now Halo is delayed. However I think people should remember we’ve never seen consoles launched during a pandemic before. And secondly Xbox are not playing the game of launching hardware and being hardware centric. It’s a longer game to build their sub through a variety of routes. The console is just one of those.

Cyberpunk users on the X will get the free upgrade to the next gen version anyway.

Next year though. It would be nice if Xbox could find a way to get that patch on the series X at launch...just to make up for Halo disappointment. Grease a few palms so to speak. I’m sure they are at least trying.

Cyberpunk users on the X will get the free upgrade to the next gen version anyway.

Anyone with gamepass will be getting first party upgrades regardless. Just be nice if at launch there was a few enhanced games ready to go. The coalition said they got gears 5 looking better with hardly any effort so I'm theory they be could get some titles to sweeten the deal on the upgrade. I still weirdly think flight simulator would be an incredible demonstration of power if the series X can play it at 4k ultra that ms recommend a 2080ti for that's a great tech demo of something that is not available on the ps5. It's probably not a system selling title, but it looks like a technical masterpiece I can't see anyone else coming close to matching the scale of.
Just to come back to this

$1400.
Yeah, maybe not picking one of those up, touch screen controls suck anyway 😂

What first party launch title have Sony got coming for the PS5 that'll justify the buy?

I'm not being tricky, I genuinely don't know of any 1st party titles. Just the usual multiplatformers.

Spiderman for one, but that wasn't really my point, Xbox have been terrible this generation (compared to Sony who have sold far more consoles and had some amazing first party titles) and they should have had a a great lineup of titles this time around to get people excited about the console and even consider switching from PS (if they have to choose one). I'm still shocked that Forza is still "early in development", I thought that would have been a launch title.

Wow. 😱

I mean it hasn’t even got a release date yet but it’s failed as a console? Halo delayed and the whole launch is now a failure?

Sure you don’t like GP - cool. You must buy A LOT of games mind if you already own most games given so many are on Gamepass day one.

Which 1st party MS games have you played this gen ? I don’t think they match up to Sony generally, but to say ‘MS have pretty much none and what they do is poor’ seems odd so just wondering which games you are basing this on?

What is your current console set up? (Edit - it’s pro, x and ti PC) nice 👍🏻

It seems to me that this is just your own opinion and isn’t really indicative of anything wider.

I read this as, MS haven’t given *you* a reason to upgrade

*You* don’t believe anyone is looking forward to it

You can take or leave Gamepass

You don’t like ms first party games thus far

All cool beans and with a good PC perhaps an Xbox isn’t needed - but I’d say MS are done with that.

If you read my post correctly I said a "failed console launch" not a failed console and you have to admit it's not exactly going well so far, the first conference (or whatever it was) was met with criticism for lack of gameplay, games. The latest was clouded by peoples disappointment on how bad Halo looked etc. Not exactly a success so far....

I would say I've played all the 1st Party MS games this generation and yup l do buy a lot of games (many are still sealed though lol), I pre-order anything that I have the slightest interest in as I like to make my own opinion on whether it is good or not.

What I said was of course my own opinion, however it was based how I feel it will be received and from what friends who tend to buy only one console have said.

MS don't need to give me a reason to upgrade, it's a new console and I'll buy it day one like I have with every other console however if the series doesn't sell well, there won't be as many people buying Gamepass (if that's your thing) and MS may just put the price up making it less attractive or just give up which is what they did this generation pretty much which is not good for any gamer no matter what side of the fence you are on :(

I don’t see the coming launches of either console as being fails- the consoles will come out, people will buy them, they will have exclusives at launch, there will be upgrades for existing games too.

Missing tent pole titles do take the shine off, but a softer launch is still a launch. I think that’s where we are whatever platform you are thinking of.

Now I’d like to see what the upgrades for current games look like and when they are coming. I know Ori at 120fps- but when? What will Sea of Thieves look like and when? When is the gears upgrade released? When is the Fifa upgrade out? What is the extent of the forza horizon upgrade and when is that out?

Edit- Microsoft are clearly not giving up. They’ve invested in a bunch of new studios. They successfully went back for the number one power position with Xbox one x (which is a cracking console). They are trying new things and looking good for the medium to long term.

I don’t see the coming launches of either console as being fails- the consoles will come out, people will buy them, they will have exclusives at launch, there will be upgrades for existing games too.

Missing tent pole titles do take the shine off, but a softer launch is still a launch. I think that’s where we are whatever platform you are thinking of.

Now I’d like to see what the upgrades for current games look like and when they are coming. I know Ori at 120fps- but when? What will Sea of Thieves look like and when? When is the gears upgrade released? When is the Fifa upgrade out? What is the extent of the forza horizon upgrade and when is that out?
Speaking of FIFA

Ms didn't give up on this generation, they doubled down on the next and shifted to being a service more than a hardware manufacturer instead of trying to rush games out to the one. That E3 a few years back when they came out with hardly any games but said we just bought up a load of studios it was obvious that they knew they had a problem and went all in to sort it out in the for the series X, I'm assuming around that time gamepass was also being cooked up and the studio's were there to give us a reason to subscribe. I know there's not much at launch but the gamepass event showed they have a healthy amount of titles coming out even if they aren't for everyone. What happened to the Wii U was giving up on a generation when Nintendo basically said before the switch was even out that the thing was dead, ms don't have to continue releasing games on the one but they are keeping support in to the next generation and even still making consoles.

Halo isn't a next gen game is it? I thought it was just Xbox one game that will look slightly better on series X. If that's the case then its not a must have for series X release.

Halo isn't a next gen game is it? I thought it was just Xbox one game that will look slightly better on series X. If that's the case then its not a must have for series X release.

Thats not quite true. Its been designed across generations so will obviously be limited in certain aspects by the base Xbox One but its similar to how PC Gaming works. It will have medium 720p graphics on Xbox one, high 1080p on Xbox One and 4K high/ultra on Series X similar to Medium, High and Ultra on PC.

If it was a full last Gen game it would be easy to have it run on Series X as they could do it through back compatibility or due to the Series X being double the power of the One X they could just increase the textures and frame rate.

I would Hazard that two versions are out there, one for the base consoles and a full upgraded one for the Series X and its the latter that's holding it up. A Standalone Free-to-play Multiplayer will release across all formats, including Playstation, though that will be further down the line than PC version.

*playstation part is my opinion.

I don’t get it?

I really enjoy Tetris on the switch. There are always loads of people playing and it’s great fun. I don’t know if this Xbox version will have stiff like that but I reckon it’s great that there will be a ‘new’ version of Terris coming to Xbox, and as it’ll be on Gamepass I can give it a whirl for very little cash. If it’s online Gamepass means lots of people.

With quick resume I reckon dropping back quickly into something like Tetris for a gaming break, then instantly leaping back into cyberpunk.

I guess Tetris isn’t going to be gfx powerhouse for the series x but I am sure it’ll be fun.

I dunno, that all sounds pretty cool to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was being a bit silly. I took one select line out of the entire article posted. In my mind, it sounded amusing that one of the exclusives (or timed exclusives) for a powerful next generation gaming console was a (admittedly more advanced) variation of Tetris, which I played decades ago on the Game Boy. As though, beyond whatever third party cross generation games are released, they had little else to offer at launch.

As I say, amusing to me (and perhaps only to me) at the time.

As it stands, I'm not seeing a huge reason for me personally to upgrade either console, beyond simply wanting the newest tech on or as close to release as possible, which may be enough - not sure yet.

I'm perfectly happy with my PS4 Pro for the Sony exclusives, which have been great, so until the PS5 releases say an HZD 2, or GT7, or even a decent new IP, I'm not sure whether I'll jump straight in.

With Xbox, it's a bit harder. I love my One X (my only Xbox this gen) and I play most third party games on it for the improved performance, but I'm not sure yet whether I want to buy the Series X on day one to play the same games that are available on the One X, albeit upgraded. I was sold on the One X because of the improved performance but also importantly because of Halo and Gears which I enjoyed in my 360 days. Without new games early on, I'm likely to wait. I have thoroughly enjoyed the MS exclusives I've played though (Quantum Break, Halo, Gears, Forza).

My big question is if I bought the PS5 first because of exclusives, whether I'd wait to play things like Cyberpunk on the Series X instead of the PS5, or whether I'd just play it on the One X and then upgrade for free once I got the Series X, for the improved performance...

The Series X is still giving you a compact machine that’s incredibly powerful, more so then the PS5 and many PC’s out there, this plus the many free upgrades current gen games will be getting for the system I think still make it a viable purchase in my eyes. The Halo fans are happy the games been delayed, it was he right call looking at the state of it.

But I don’t think the Series X is a failed launch, I’ve seen the ones shouting this is a failed launch the loudest have been mostly PlayStation fans on You Tube and elsewhere..

It’s getting exciting that we have a possible date now :) it will be very very very interesting to see third party cross platform titles compared on the PS5 and XSX.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the lack of Halo Infinite at launch and leaning on Game Pass and backwards compatibility, which our Xbox Ones already have, I wonder if the Series X will be easier to get at launch without pre-ordering.

With the lack of Halo Infinite at launch and leaning on Game Pass and backwards compatibility, which our Xbox Ones already have, I wonder if the Series X will be easier to get at launch without pre-ordering.

Going to depend on how many units they can make isn't it? And how much the goddamn thing costs.....

Anyone with gamepass will be getting first party upgrades regardless. Just be nice if at launch there was a few enhanced games ready to go. The coalition said they got gears 5 looking better with hardly any effort so I'm theory they be could get some titles to sweeten the deal on the upgrade. I still weirdly think flight simulator would be an incredible demonstration of power if the series X can play it at 4k ultra that ms recommend a 2080ti for that's a great tech demo of something that is not available on the ps5. It's probably not a system selling title, but it looks like a technical masterpiece I can't see anyone else coming close to matching the scale of.

Yeah, maybe not picking one of those up, touch screen controls suck anyway 😂
Yeah it’s the touch controls putting me off the Duo too - nothing to do with the likely £1400 :laugh:

I would say it will still be difficult to get as production may be limited due to Covid. I just pre-order on amazon as they don’t take cash to it’s shipping and they aren’t going out of business before launch date. I would have concern for the likes of Game that had losses before Covid and wouldn’t be holding onto vouchers or store credit.

Apologies if already mentioned, as I'm sure it has, but the naming convention for this is ridiculous. Xbox One X then Xbox Series X. Sounds like the same machine.

Apologies if already mentioned, as I'm sure it has, but the naming convention for this is ridiculous. Xbox One X then Xbox Series X. Sounds like the same machine.

No more than Playstation 4 and Playstation 5.

No more than Playstation 4 and Playstation 5.
Seriously? 5 comes after 4. Series X comes after X? I'd say that's confusing.

And I own like a million xbox games and have a gamerscore of almost 200,000. And I can see why people would be confused with the Xbox naming.

Just seen Samsung advertising Game Pass on the advert for the note mobile.

Seriously? 5 comes after 4. Series X comes after X? I'd say that's confusing.

And I own like a million xbox games and have a gamerscore of almost 200,000. And I can see why people would be confused with the Xbox naming.

You are right the naming is confusing, I understand why they want to do it because the don't want generations of XBox but there is. What would they call the next one, Series X2 which would make no sense as they are back numbering it.. Maybe Series X 2025 edition...

You are right the naming is confusing, I understand why they want to do it because the don't want generations of XBox but there is. What would they call the next one, Series X2 which would make no sense as they are back numbering it.. Maybe Series X 2025 edition...
Xbox x is discontinued now so they'll only be series s and series x for sale. Probably 4 years later they'll be Xbox series x elite 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom