Xbox Series X

@RaulRobbo I first set the resolution to 1080, then refresh rate to 120hz. I then turned off allow 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision, I restarted the Xbox, went in to Cold Wars graphics settings and 120 is enabled :thumbsup:

Nice one. Feels better at 120fps, Graphics not too bad. Actually looks more colourful than on 60fps in 4k for some reason.

I have the same TV and play Warzone. How do you get this info on-screen? I can check tomorrow.

I have noticed with Cold War, the 120hz mode is disabled in the game settings sometimes for no apparent reason. I’ve assumed it’s (yet another) bug with Cold War. Maybe Warzone is doing the same sometimes?

Like I say I’ll check it out tomorrow and report back
Look in your pm.

I have the same TV and play Warzone. How do you get this info on-screen? I can check tomorrow.

I have noticed with Cold War, the 120hz mode is disabled in the game settings sometimes for no apparent reason. I’ve assumed it’s (yet another) bug with Cold War. Maybe Warzone is doing the same sometimes?

Like I say I’ll check it out tomorrow and report back
So I've managed to get the game on 120htZ, I had to turn 4k of on the settings mentioned above.
Looks like that I have been playing it at 4k 60 for the last week. Playing at 1080p 120 looks and feels awful, also no HDR with this setting either.
Let me know what you find because I feel this can't be right, it really was that bad.
I hope it's user error because it really was bad.
Gears 5 felt and looked good when I tried that.

Does anyone play warzone on 1080p 120htz?
I have LG oled c7. When I play gears 5 at 120htz my tv says it's at 120.....(1st pic)
But when I play warzone it always goes to this...(2nd pic)
I don't have a clue what's going on.
I would be interested to know how you get technical info on screen mate? I have LG Oled B8 so would assume it works the same, just cant see it anywhere mentioned when i have searched online.

I would be interested to know how you get technical info on screen mate? I have LG Oled B8 so would assume it works the same, just cant see it anywhere mentioned when i have searched online.
Go to "all settings"
Click on programms
Then highlight programme tuning settings remember don't click on it just highlight it.
Then press '1' about 7 times and the screen you are after pops up.

What does 'Optimised for Series X|S' actually mean and why did Microsoft remove the X Enhanced console type from the Games & Apps section filter, as now there's no way of easily telling what's a non-enhanced Xbox One game and what's X Enhanced?

I've just noticed that along with Gears 5, Halo: MCC and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint now have the X|S logo on their tile in Games & Apps, but Breakpoint is on my external storage and worked and has the new performance (less detail at 60fps) and resolution modes (more detail at 30fps). So, between an X Enhanced game like Battlefield V, that was already 4K60 on the One X and in turn Series X, and these Optimised for Series X|S games, what's the difference?

I assume when a game has been specifically made for Series X|S, that's when it must be on the internal drive to run, but I was under the impression the same applied to the optimised for X|S games. Otherwise, what's the difference between Halo Infinite that's being developed for previous and new gen just being optimised for X|S and a last gen game like Battlefield V that looks and runs great in its X Enhanced version?

Also, that should include the X|S logo on the tiles in the guide.

Interesting to see that Warzone and Rocket Leauge ae getting 4k 120 on Xbox but not PS5 (Yet).

" According to Psyonix, enabling the 120 fps option for Rocket League on Xbox Series X only requires a "minor patch." However, enabling it on PS5 is a much more complicated matter. Psyonix describes the issue as a problem with "how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console." Due to the additional work that would be required on the platform to enable a 120 fps mode, Psyonix wasn't able to add the feature. It simply had other priorities. "

Eurogamer had a similar article, apparently the big difference is the one s and one X are very forward thinking and allowed for both native 4k and 120hz, so games were made with this in mind even if they didn't use it because the console lacked the power. So now we have the power it's just tweak the code and away you go. Effectively what ms said before the launch of true, basic optimisation to upgrade resolution and frame rates is a really simple patch so hopefully we see more developers look in to it.

So I've managed to get the game on 120htZ, I had to turn 4k of on the settings mentioned above.
Looks like that I have been playing it at 4k 60 for the last week. Playing at 1080p 120 looks and feels awful, also no HDR with this setting either.
Let me know what you find because I feel this can't be right, it really was that bad.
I hope it's user error because it really was bad.
Gears 5 felt and looked good when I tried that.

So I’ve tried both on Warzone back-to-back with the overlay on to ensure the output resolution and refresh rate is as it should be. There’s not a lot between them really to my eyes. 120hz is smoother but you sacrifice resolution and hdr. Not sure about the issues you mentioned tho?

I think I’ll go back to 4K60 and HDR to be honest, but I will try some other titles in both modes as well.

So I’ve tried both on Warzone back-to-back with the overlay on to ensure the output resolution and refresh rate is as it should be. There’s not a lot between them really to my eyes. 120hz is smoother but you sacrifice resolution and hdr. Not sure about the issues you mentioned tho?

I think I’ll go back to 4K60 and HDR to be honest, but I will try some other titles in both modes as well.
Its very jerky on 120. Something is wrong.

Its very jerky on 120. Something is wrong.

I’ve seen that on Cold War I think. Had to restart it as it was that bad. Would have been good to have the TV settings overlay on but I didn’t know about it then. Like

I said before tho, I’ve seen a few issues in Cold War, where 120 is disabled in the game settings even though everything is set up for 120. Maybe the switching back and forth can get things a little bit mixed up.

I’ve seen that on Cold War I think. Had to restart it as it was that bad. Would have been good to have the TV settings overlay on but I didn’t know about it then. Like

I said before tho, I’ve seen a few issues in Cold War, where 120 is disabled in the game settings even though everything is set up for 120. Maybe the switching back and forth can get things a little bit mixed up.
Did you have to turn the 4k part off?
I had to put to 1080p, 120hz and also turn 4k off to get it to work. I'll have another go tomorrow, restart will next thing I try. I still think it's the game because gears 5 is crisp on 120hz.
Nice excuse for a new CX tho 🙊

I think there are issues with COD in general. On my CX modern warfare is not smooth unless I set it to 1440p and VRR is causing issues also.

I've not looked in detail at cod as its not my up of tea but I believe most analysis of the 4k 120Hz mode shows dips down to 100fps so if you don't have VRR that might feel choppier than a locked 60fps. I think these modes will improve with time with direct ml implementation in the future too. I wouldn't put much faith in the early examples until the developers start using all the new features.

On the C9 it does crazy things too I'm playing watchdogs which is 30fps but it is reporting as 120fps
Does anyone play warzone on 1080p 120htz?
I have LG oled c7. When I play gears 5 at 120htz my tv says it's at 120.....(1st pic)
But when I play warzone it always goes to this...(2nd pic)
I don't have a clue what's going on.
My C9 does crazy things too I'm playing watchdogs which is 30hz but it reports all my games as 120hz

Attachments

• 20201125_040652.jpg
    20201125_040652.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 68
The xbox is on 120hz display setting thats why its reporting 120hz it doesnt report the actual frame rate of the game

On the C9 it does crazy things too I'm playing watchdogs which is 30fps but it is reporting as 120fps

My C9 does crazy things too I'm playing watchdogs which is 30hz but it reports all my games as 120hz

There’s a difference between fps and hz. hz is just how many times your console updates the screen per second and essentially sets the ‘maximum’ framerate a game can use. FPS is the actual framerate of the game. Watchdog is running at 30fps but the console is updating your tv 120 times per second. It’s essentially showing each frame 4 times but the framerate remains the same.

What does 'Optimised for Series X|S' actually mean and why did Microsoft remove the X Enhanced console type from the Games & Apps section filter, as now there's no way of easily telling what's a non-enhanced Xbox One game and what's X Enhanced?

I've just noticed that along with Gears 5, Halo: MCC and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint now have the X|S logo on their tile in Games & Apps, but Breakpoint is on my external storage and worked and has the new performance (less detail at 60fps) and resolution modes (more detail at 30fps). So, between an X Enhanced game like Battlefield V, that was already 4K60 on the One X and in turn Series X, and these Optimised for Series X|S games, what's the difference?

I assume when a game has been specifically made for Series X|S, that's when it must be on the internal drive to run, but I was under the impression the same applied to the optimised for X|S games. Otherwise, what's the difference between Halo Infinite that's being developed for previous and new gen just being optimised for X|S and a last gen game like Battlefield V that looks and runs great in its X Enhanced version?

Also, that should include the X|S logo on the tiles in the guide.

Seems some Optimised Games can be run from an external drive but I think this entirely depends on what they have actually done too the game as some will definitely refuse to run unless they are in the internal, I noticed after the Master Chief patch was released that the tile showed a little two way arrow which indicated it needed to be moved.

Watched a video of Dead Space played on series X, looks fantastic, auto hdr really gives the visuals some punch. Excellent work!

Go to "all settings"
Click on programms
Then highlight programme tuning settings remember don't click on it just highlight it.
Then press '1' about 7 times and the screen you are after pops up.
Thanks for that. Do you or anyone else know how or if you can get other infomation up like the bit rate info, was hoping that would be on that. I know you can on the 2020 LG’s with the freesync info, but i dont have that on my LG B8 i don't think.

I've been a bit bummed that you can't stream from Series X to PC as I used to play in the lounge on my Surface when wife overruled TV.

There is a test app floating around that allows this and I've finally found the workaround via reddit. Solution below for those interested..

1. Go to https://store.rg-adguard.net
  2. Copy/paste this URL and click the tick
    URL: Buy Xbox Game Streaming (Test App) - Microsoft Store en-GB
  3. Grab this file towards the bottom: Microsoft.XboxGameStreaming-ContentTest_1.2011.1701.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle
  4. Once download, double click to install - you may need to enable side loading in windows security settings if it gets blocked.
  5. Launch the app, select Series X and done
Works pretty well, though I can't get sound just yet.

Last edited:
Seems some Optimised Games can be run from an external drive but I think this entirely depends on what they have actually done too the game as some will definitely refuse to run unless they are in the internal, I noticed after the Master Chief patch was released that the tile showed a little two way arrow which indicated it needed to be moved.

I just a look in Games & Apps and I don't have that icon on any of my X|S marked tiles and they're all currently on external storage.

Out of curiousity, I had a look at the file info for my Optimised for X|S games, so Gears 5, Halo: MCC and Breakpoint, and the only one marked as Gen: Scarlett is Gears 5. The other two are marked as Durango, same gen marking as non-optimised Xbox One games.

A bit more info in Games & Apps would be handy, like bringing back the X Enhanced console type filter, and being as there are Game Pass, EA Play and X|S logos, an X Enhanced logo would be useful too, then you can quickly and easily see what to expect with each game.

I just a look in Games & Apps and I don't have that icon on any of my X|S marked tiles and they're all currently on external storage.

Out of curiousity, I had a look at the file info for my Optimised for X|S games, so Gears 5, Halo: MCC and Breakpoint, and the only one marked as Gen: Scarlett is Gears 5. The other two are marked as Durango, same gen marking as non-optimised Xbox One games.

A bit more info in Games & Apps would be handy, like bringing back the X Enhanced console type filter, and being as there are Game Pass, EA Play and X|S logos, an X Enhanced logo would be useful too, then you can quickly and easily see what to expect with each game.

There are 3 categories - Durango but enhanced in some way (like MCC unlocking FPS etc). Durango but gen9aware -these have more substantial work done to them but still in XDK. Gen 9 (Scarlett) for full blown X/S games.

Watched a video of Dead Space played on series X, looks fantastic, auto hdr really gives the visuals some punch. Excellent work!
Ive been playing the mass effect games and the HDR on them is fantastic. in game cut scenes can look a bit too coloured by over all it really adds to the game and the load times are even smaller now.

mass effect 3 benefits from HDR load times and additional resolution as everything is very sharp now not blurred like it was originally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom