Quantcast

Xbox Series X

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Some more info on the GPUs used in the next gen consoles. Take home here for Xbox is that it’s confirming the 12TF number again (looking more and more likely, it keeps coming up in multiple different places now) and that it’s using the newest RDNA architecture that isn’t even released yet (should get announced in the next few days at CES in the AMD presentation). It using RDNA 2.0 could be big, it’s supposed to be even more efficient than RDNA 1.0 and has the extra features confirmed in the new Xbox (VRS and hardware accelerated ray tracing).

Fanboy posting a video doesn't "confirm" anything.

Flawed Tactics

Cha1ky

A lot of people seeing this as a bad thing but I think its a really good thing. You're not just going to get everyone up and leave current gen so why not just sell the software to EVERYONE. The next gen machines should show that much of an improvement that people would want them rather that just being forced to get it because you want to play the next Halo/Gears/Horizon/Last of Us. It also stops the strain on people who can't afford them too, esp parents with kids who want that game too.

My only hope is that when making it for each gen they really put the effort in on the next gen from the get go.

Last edited:

mudshark

Just reading up on the Series X, how likely is the muted windows mode, which allows access to Steam, effectively allowing PC gaming on the new console?

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Just reading up on the Series X, how likely is the muted windows mode, which allows access to Steam, effectively allowing PC gaming on the new console?
Very unlikely. I’m not sure if it‘s been officially ruled out, but everything I’ve read says this one’s a bit of a crazy idea.

mudshark

Very unlikely. I’m not sure if it‘s been officially ruled out, but everything I’ve read says this one’s a bit of a crazy idea.
why so, just handing revenue to others?

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
why so, just handing revenue to others?
MS will want you buying games through their service not giving money to Valve through Steam. I have read the rumour a couple of places, but most people in reply seem to be playing it down as highly unlikely. We’ll have to wait and see I guess.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
It was rumoured with Xbox One and never happened. Would be great but doubt it's going to happen.

iwb100

Distinguished Member

A lot of people seeing this as a bad thing but I think its a really good thing. You're not just going to get everyone up and leave current gen so why not just sell the software to EVERYONE. The next gen machines should show that much of an improvement that people would want them rather that just being forced to get it because you want to play the next Halo/Gears/Horizon/Last of Us. It also stops the strain on people who can't afford them too, esp parents with kids who want that game too.

My only hope is that when making it for each gen they really put the effort in on the next gen from the get go.
Its not going to be possible forever. The CPU limitation on the S and X will mean at some point you need to break away. But for the start of the gen it was pretty obvious MS would do that. You'll still get many people who don't understand the difference in architecture now compared with past gens moaning on about "not maximising new console" but that will be the way it is.

There are games that max out the highest end PC's also playable on a PC half as powerful or less. That's entirely possible. Clearly though as things move on the gen develops - it will be harder and harder to support the S at least.

Flawed Tactics

Ok I want to play dumb for a second, this will be easier than I think hahaha. Why is Microsoft pledging to fully support the Xbox One/One X for 1 year with first party games such a bad thing? Someone give me a plausible reason why this is bad?

Surely this is being consumer friendly right? They're not forcing people to buy the Series X to play the latest first party exclusives. Not everybody will be in a position to buy the new console, to me this is the right thing to do.

It's more than likely we wont be seeing the full potential of the next gen consoles for a couple of years anyway, as developers get to grips with the new tech and start pushing it to its limits.

When the Switch released, Nintendo released their Switch launch title Breath of the Wild across their console range, no harm was done.

One year of cross-gen support seems fair, fair to those buying current gen hardware today, the next gen will come of ages but only a fool would think, come Holiday 2020 is going to see a leap to next gen games over night just because new hardware has released, it's going to take time anyway, no matter what console you buy.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Ok I want to play dumb for a second, this will be easier than I think hahaha. Why is Microsoft pledging to fully support the Xbox One/One X for 1 year with first party games such a bad thing? Someone give me a plausible reason why this is bad?

Surely this is being consumer friendly right? They're not forcing people to buy the Series X to play the latest first party exclusives. Not everybody will be in a position to buy the new console, to me this is the right thing to do.

It's more than likely we wont be seeing the full potential of the next gen consoles for a couple of years anyway, as developers get to grips with the new tech and start pushing it to its limits.

When the Switch released, Nintendo released their Switch launch title Breath of the Wild across their console range, no harm was done.

One year of cross-gen support seems fair, fair to those buying current gen hardware today, the next gen will come of ages but only a fool would think, come Holiday 2020 is going to see a leap to next gen games over night just because new hardware has released, it's going to take time anyway, no matter what console you buy.
The common point people seem to be raising is that they think the Series X will be held back either in scope or graphical fidelity due to having to also support inferior hardware. The reality is, as you’ve pointed out, that it’s a very positive consumer friendly approach and developers are used to scaling games for PC so the Series X games will look amazing.

There seems to be lots of fake concern from people that would never have bought an Xbox anyway in pointing out that ‘why do I have to buy a Series X when I can still play the games on a One X or One’. The answer to that is that you don’t ‘have’ to, but if you want to play them in the best form, if you’re the type of gamer that likes the shiniest graphics and best frame rates (i.e. the early adopters) then you’ll be buying a Series X as you always would.

There are a load of gamers that can‘t afford to shell out for the newest hardware at the beginning of a generation and need or want to wait for a drop in price before they migrate over. This approach gives them a year or two’s grace to still play the same games while waiting for a better deal.

reecie

Games always now come out on both old and next gen platforms at the start of a new console cycle anyway. So in that respect it is a non story as otherwise a game maker only has a tiny market that could buy a new game. What might be the killer feature is if you are able to migrate your purchase up to the next gen at no extra cost. Though I guess that would be digital only.

Cha1ky

Games always now come out on both old and next gen platforms at the start of a new console cycle anyway.
The multi platform games perhaps. Theres normally a few Next gen only games. Things are changing now though and at least everyone gets to try those new games rather than just those who early adopters wanting the best.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Games always now come out on both old and next gen platforms at the start of a new console cycle anyway. So in that respect it is a non story as otherwise a game maker only has a tiny market that could buy a new game. What might be the killer feature is if you are able to migrate your purchase up to the next gen at no extra cost. Though I guess that would be digital only.
Considering how titles now work backwards compatibility and patches could mean you can upgrade your discs too. If the plan is to make it more like pc gaming and scale the resolution with better textures they could in theory let your old one disc play a downloaded series X version with very little work using the disc as a license key.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
The multi platform games perhaps. Theres normally a few Next gen only games. Things are changing now though and at least everyone gets to try those new games rather than just those who early adopters wanting the best.
The early games though - usually there is no good reason why they aren't on older hardware. Just artificial "buy the new machine" stuff. The thing is over time there will be good reasons - hardware ones why. Hopefully MS get the balance right.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Having Halo 2 run on the 360 was great for that launch. I played it more than any 360 game for months. Good times!

tonyk79

I haven’t read the MS guys full quote about this but It has me a little worried that there is no real made from the ground up game for the new console. I understand that they don’t want to leave the existing user base behind but they have to be careful that PS5 doesn’t leave Xsx behind by delaying a monster title like Last of Us 2 ( I think they will) and releasing a dedicated version for the new PS5 with a watered down version for PS4. The new Halo title must be clearly head and shoulders above the Xbox One X version and what we seen in the trailer last E3 hasn’t got me convinced.

Indiana Jones

I am sure it will make use of the extra power and adopt a similar approach to how PC games are treated, playing on the S will be like choosing Low, playing on the X will be like picking the medium settings with some of the fancy settings enabled but then you play on the Series X you will get High/Ultra settings with all those fancy settings enabled.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I haven’t read the MS guys full quote about this but It has me a little worried that there is no real made from the ground up game for the new console. I understand that they don’t want to leave the existing user base behind but they have to be careful that PS5 doesn’t leave Xsx behind by delaying a monster title like Last of Us 2 ( I think they will) and releasing a dedicated version for the new PS5 with a watered down version for PS4. The new Halo title must be clearly head and shoulders above the Xbox One X version and what we seen in the trailer last E3 hasn’t got me convinced.
Its a different priority. MS are driven by wanting as many people using their services and playing their games. Their hardware and new hardware is only one entry point into the Xbox ecosystem. MS don't care if you play Halo with an old or new xbox, on your phone on a PC or probably if they were ever allowed - using a rival console's hardware.

They simply don't make their money from selling a physical box - their money is made via cloud and services - so their gaming strategy is aligned to that. Selling a box and a local copy of a game is pretty meaningless to their business model. Its central to Sony's right now. MS have sold their cloud gaming services to Sony - it shows where MS are as a business and what they prioritise. Were the boot on the other foot Sony would have wanted to keep it from MS as a competitive advantage - but its not how MS are thinking.

They've created an environment where its almost irrelevant how much hardware they sell but far more relevant that they make good and compelling games. They've still got some ways to go there.

But buy an Xbox Series X and for a £10 a month you get 200 games many of which are AAA ready to go from the start of the generation. A huge library immediately - probably many enhanced using the BC technology. Plus you get Halo infinite and any other 1st party titles they launch with. For £10 a month.

Compare that to Sony who will offer you no doubt a big game or two for £50 or whatever each that you have to buy the hardware for.

Some will love each approach - some simply want that new box, new game. Some will simply not upgrade their Xbox because they see no need. Some will prefer a more traditional console launch.

But I honestly think when you look at it, you've got real choice and real points of difference.