Quantcast

Xbox Series X

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Yes, saying the Xbox has better games must be a first.
You will probably find a lot of people in this section saying that. I know Critics and reviews may be different but I have owned Xbox and PS this gen and preferred the games Xbox have put out over PS. All opinion at the end of the day and what people prefer.

What makes you lot choose Xbox over PlayStation then?

I went Xbox at Launch for these reason

• Kinect
  • Controller
  • Game Lineup
  • TITANFALL
  • Xbox Live
  • Friends
  • Going All Digital
  • Instant Resume
  • Xbox Record That
Over the course of this gen I have liked what Xbox has done, they have pushed forward and done some great things. GamePass, Back Compat, Adaptive Controller, Xbox One X, UHD Drive, Xbox Elite Controller, Xbox Elite Console, Preview Programme & Rewards Programme.

Controller, Games and Features all appeal to me. Xbox is for me and my console of choice and can't wait to see where MS take it with the Series X.
PS4 & no Doubt PS5 will be a cracking machine with amazing games and I will get one for the Exclusives but I am certain Xbox will be my favoured console of choice no matter if it's the most powerful or not.

Cha1ky

I don't mean those tile things I mean the normal desktop with icons. I only want a background picture and a few icons on my screen for games and the store/gamepass etc.
I dont even have icons on my desktop!

All my shortcuts appear on a press of the windows button.

I do now and then have a mess around with Rainmeter to totally customise that but I always just end up with nothing on there.

Rainmeter Examples:

I'd love to see the ability to FULLY customise how the consoles look but I doubt that will ever happen.

DarkEntity

first one looks a bit like the old Rocket Dock system, have a vanishing bar with all your apps etc on it and when you hover over a certain area it appears.

Cha1ky

RTC89

I have a NVME external made by Crucial X8 1TB got it on offer recently although i use it for my xbox one x USB 3.0 and speeds are limited i still get more than say a samsung T5. tested the speeds on USB C also and I get over a 1,000 read and write everytime they are very good drives but my only gripe is they get VERY hot.

ZicoUK

I would hazard a guess (think it was mentioned earlier here OR maybe I've heard it mentioned in a Digital Foundry / EuroGamer report) that Microsoft could make/licence plugin type SSD drives for storage expansion.
I've got an SATA SSD connected to my X at the moment which improves game loading times which I think would still be fine (maybe a minimum) for connecting to XSX. If normal HDD are connected then it may be that Microsoft restricts them to being used for media drives only and not for gaming (the current options are like this anyway).

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
(Gamespot)

The Xbox Series X can:

- lay flat
- stand up straight
- rest in a dog bed
- be swaddled like a baby
- the possibilities are endless

I would hazard a guess (think it was mentioned earlier here OR maybe I've heard it mentioned in a Digital Foundry / EuroGamer report) that Microsoft could make/licence plugin type SSD drives for storage expansion.
I've got an SATA SSD connected to my X at the moment which improves game loading times which I think would still be fine (maybe a minimum) for connecting to XSX. If normal HDD are connected then it may be that Microsoft restricts them to being used for media drives only and not for gaming (the current options are like this anyway).
I wouldnt have thought a SATA ssd would be up to it as they are using NVMe and maybe PCIe 4.0 with the series X

ZicoUK

I wouldnt have thought a SATA ssd would be up to it as they are using NVMe and maybe PCIe 4.0 with the series X
I'm only thinking along the lines of a bare minimum requirement for a (cheap) user external storage device. If MS were to allow a SATA3 SSD to be used then it would have to carry a warning/advisory of impacting load times.
On writing this post I quickly checked the price of 256GB+ NVMe internal drives and prices start around £55 upwards. I guess if MS mass purchase drives (with a way of plugging them into the XSX) then it would be an option for user expansion that shouldn't cost the earth.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I picked up a one sad the other day, I think they missed a trick on this one not replacing the disc drive with a small 2.5 inch hard drive caddy behind a flap to allow the sort of expansion you are talking about. As the sad has the same board as the one s it has a vacant sata and power connector inside, an empty caddy would have been a cheap addition for them to allow users to slot in a second large drive or SSD using the data interface not usb. How many people would use it I don't know but the option would have been nice and ms could have monitored the usage to see how many people use it and in what way.

This small change to the design could have made the sad go from a niche product as an entry level digital only affair to also cater for the enthusiasts that want the reduced load times from an SSD or have huge dial libraries while still requiring hardly any R&D for them to create. In the next gen I wouldn't object to the optional removal of disc drives if there's a benefit beyond just the price difference. As if stands I got a very healthy saving over the S getting a sad and own no discs but use game pass, but if I could whack an SSD in I could have had a superior Xbox gaming experience for the same money as the one S without adding external USB drives.

ZicoUK

I think that making the S drive less was far easier, while cost saving, than trying to revise the internals to create an internal drive caddy aswell as writing the code to allow for another internal drive to be connected. Without knowing how successful Game Pass would be, Microsoft wouldn't loose much on making the S without a Blu-ray drive while testing the water.

With next gen just around the corner, and a good period for MS to see how SAD and Game Pass have sold over the last year or so, I would think that an XSD with an expansion bay would be something that MS has provision for.

Flawed Tactics

Never been so excited for a console generation

apolloa

Distinguished Member
The Sony one sounds like a custom SSD. I think I would prefer an NVMe though as those bad boys are fast! unless what they've done makes it faster than that of course.
Both systems will probably be using PCIE 4.0 interfaces, these are brand new and I think only on AMD’s platform currently, but I could be wrong, they are the fastest forms of drive interface too.
But that’s only part of what makes these new games systems fast, because the entire machines are built and designed as one unit, they have the ability to make them have really really fast throughputs in the entire system. Which is what they have done.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
and consoles don't need updates?

I can tell you now, the next gen of console will not be doing that for all games. Similar to how not everything was 1080p 60 FPS for this gen (prior to X/Pro upgrades).
Firstly yes consoles need updating, but not like a PC does. Plus you can leave your console in and it’ll update itself when in sleep mode anyway, over WiFi in the PS4’s case, I don’t know if PC’s will do that?

And secondly your still utterly wrong about that opinion. All games will target 4K 60FPS because your naive if you think anything else, the new consoles will be MUCH more powerful then you think. You wait for the games to be shown off throughout 2020..

leebroath

Distinguished Member
Anyone think they know which HDR format this unit will output?

HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, both or neither at all and just stick with normal HDR?

Any rumours...

The console will probably support both but I think it will all depend what the developers make their game in.

HDR10 is supported by all HDR tvs so maybe they will just stick with that

Last edited:

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Some more info on the GPUs used in the next gen consoles. Take home here for Xbox is that it’s confirming the 12TF number again (looking more and more likely, it keeps coming up in multiple different places now) and that it’s using the newest RDNA architecture that isn’t even released yet (should get announced in the next few days at CES in the AMD presentation). It using RDNA 2.0 could be big, it’s supposed to be even more efficient than RDNA 1.0 and has the extra features confirmed in the new Xbox (VRS and hardware accelerated ray tracing).

mudshark

I don’t need it but I will buy it.