Xbox Series X

FlagshipDevice

I’m not being funny but hasn’t it been obvious what they’ve been doing? They’ve pretty much told us for the past 2.5 years, every chance they’ve got. I get it’s different but then in 2020 they are simply moving how every single other creative content industry already has years ago.
Yes, but I’ve always been mindful that in the grand scheme of things Xbox was/is merely a secondary income for them. Sony couldn’t survive without PlayStaion, MS could easily survive without Xbox.

The proof was always in the pudding. Until MS really invested heavily, I had doubts about their intentions. Their $7.5 Billion investment has me in no doubt about their intentions. For me, for all their stated intentions over the last few years, that has convinced me more than anything.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
These look good

Does that only fit the new controller?, I prefer the old design and I have a really nice design lab one that I’m not giving up. Venom said the other day their existing chargers aren’t compatible because of the new controllers being shaped differently.

Controller Gear are American so hopefully I don’t have to order one of the older models direct from them, postage and customs would mean I’ll just stick with AA rechargeables.

Last edited:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Yes, but I’ve always been mindful that in the grand scheme of things Xbox was/is merely a secondary income for them. Sony couldn’t survive without PlayStaion, MS could easily survive without Xbox.

The proof was always in the pudding. Until MS really invested heavily, I had doubts about their intentions. Their $7.5 Billion investment has me in no doubt about their intentions. For me, for all their stated intentions over the last few years, that has convinced me more than anything.
Thats fair, but they’d bought 8 studios before that which should have been a clue...

Mind, I don’t think many saw them buying a publishing giant like Bethesda.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Thanks @King Tones - wanted to try that Beta Xbox app but no longer have my Android phone and reckon it might be a while before it comes to iOS :p

FlagshipDevice

Thats fair, but they’d bought 8 studios before that which should have been a clue...

Mind, I don’t think many saw them buying a publishing giant like Bethesda.
For sure it was a clue, in hindsight I should’ve paid more attention. But this was a huge statement of intent. The very one I’d been looking for from MS. I honestly thought it’d never come.

There’s more to come. MS aren’t done yet. . .

Meridius

Nothing special mate, just an Energizer 4 bay charger. Does the job. Trust me it’s the way to go - have a few pairs of AA bats on rotation. Yep, 30-40 hours of usage from your pad. Simply swap out your bats as and when you need to. I keep my battery charger behind my TV, out of sight. Job done.
Edit - Panasonic Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries are really good.
I was going to go for those eneloops but seen this video and the Duracells seem better. ?

And

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I've used Duracell Stay charged (think they may have slightly changed that name now though) for about 10 years in my pads and in my old X41 TB headset. They are perfect for rotation and always ready when needed.

The problem with normal rechargeable batteries is they drain when not in use, Stay Charged and i think also the Eneloop brand ones don't.

mudshark

Distinguished Member
I’m only a casual gamer and already have an elite controller, is there really any benefit in upgrading to the updated version?

gazred35

Distinguished Member
Iam still using the rechargeable battery I bought 8 years ago, I just plug my controller in to charge after each session. Never had a problem. Maybe I need to increase my 4/5 hour gaming sessions 😂

@Cloysterpeteuk I think they do fit both as in the gallery they show it comes with two different backplates, which I believe is one for Xbox One controllers and the other for Series X controllers.

Also it says this " Works with Xbox Series X and prior consoles. "

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I’m only a casual gamer and already have an elite controller, is there really any benefit in upgrading to the updated version?
I've fancied an Elite since they first launched, but various build quality issues people reported put me off as really shouldn't be there for the price. Also the elite 2 i hoped would improve those issues put me off because of the internal battery. If that fails your pad is done and their track record with P&C etc have been awful in my experience using them on 360 before i switched to rechargeable AA's. I'd much rather have the option for AA's still.

Also thought if i got used to a configuration with extra paddles, i'd then never be able to get used to playing without them so if it died you'd need to get another....or if playing on someone else normal pad muscle memory would be screwed.

That said, i still keep an eye for deals as may get one at some point, and my son wants one, but i'm now going to wait for an inevitable revision to incorporate the Series' pads features like share button.

Meridius

I've used Duracell Stay charged (think they may have slightly changed that name now though) for about 10 years in my pads and in my old X41 TB headset. They are perfect for rotation and always ready when needed.

The problem with normal rechargeable batteries is they drain when not in use, Stay Charged and i think also the Eneloop brand ones don't.
The Same bloke in the video says the Duracell’s drop by 10% when not In use in 45 days I think he said which is still good as I prob replace them before that

sleepylaser

Microsoft have sent a lot of journalists working series x ‘non final’ units for preview purposes. This appears to be a confident move- the likes of digital foundry can now test the new low latency input, quick loading, quick switching, frame rate and resolution on unlocked/variable res back compatible games, 4K blu ray movie playback (Including noise!), and upscaling. They can’t put it under the load of a next gen title yet (I presume), but it’s a start.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I've fancied an Elite since they first launched, but various build quality issues people reported put me off as really shouldn't be there for the price. Also the elite 2 i hoped would improve those issues put me off because of the internal battery. If that fails your pad is done and their track record with P&C etc have been awful in my experience using them on 360 before i switched to rechargeable AA's. I'd much rather have the option for AA's still.

Also thought if i got used to a configuration with extra paddles, i'd then never be able to get used to playing without them so if it died you'd need to get another....or if playing on someone else normal pad muscle memory would be screwed.
Not just the paddles. Even just the half-pull triggers makes using a normal controller feel like a chore.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Not just the paddles. Even just the half-pull triggers makes using a normal controller feel like a chore.

It's the hair triggers i'd most want one for, and can imagine normal triggers feeling terrible afterwards, but at least you'd be instinctively gong for the right control with muscle memory unlike paddles replacing face buttons commands.

rowedav

Distinguished Member
Microsoft have sent a lot of journalists working series x ‘non final’ units for preview purposes. This appears to be a confident move- the likes of digital foundry can now test the new low latency input, quick loading, quick switching, frame rate and resolution on unlocked/variable res back compatible games, 4K blu ray movie playback (Including noise!), and upscaling. They can’t put it under the load of a next gen title yet (I presume), but it’s a start.
Yep, looking forward to the DF deep dives into the new hardware!

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Yep, looking forward to the DF deep dives into the new hardware!
Now everyone's deposits are paid up for pre-order they'll reveal it's actually a 5tb lightweight with mechanical drive.....:D

rowedav

Distinguished Member
The last couple of major console releases from MS have had a long run in (Series X and One X) but it's this time - a couple of months before they launch - that I really enjoy as everything starts to become real and tangible.

Might sound a bit sad but its been a sh*t year all-round and it nice to have something to look forward to!

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
The last couple of major console releases from MS have had a long run in (Series X and One X) but it's this time - a couple of months before they launch - that I really enjoy as everything starts to become real and tangible.

Might sound a bit sad but its been a sh*t year all-round and it nice to have something to look forward to!
Damn right mate... Can't wait. Not bothered about any new games coming out at launch, i just want to enjoy the hardware for all the benefits and quality of life changes for everything i already have now. Want to get back onto FH4 at 4k60 without massive loading times etc.

daymouse

Distinguished Member

yeah this is when it gets exciting. Personally been out of the gaming scene for the last 18 months due to having a baby and to be honest no games have grabbed my attention so Xbox has just been sat there. With him being at a better age and the combination of not going out for meals or the football etc I've been looking at the Series X and getting excited to get some gaming back in my life.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton