Xbox Series X

FlagshipDevice

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My humble apologies if there’s already a thread about this, in which case mods please delete!

Okay - it seems to me on Sunday evening we’ll be getting at least some of the specs for the next Xbox. What do you think Phil will announce?

I’m not technically minded, but off the top of my head, and given that I think MS will be going all out for power next-gen, having had their fingers burnt. . .

12-14 TFLOPS

At least 16GB DDR6 RAM

1TB SSD

I’m sure MS will be willing to take a sizeable hit on the hardware to gain market share.

Price? It seems there may well be 2 versions of the console but I’m just thinking about the premium version.

Given the power people are expecting, even with a hit on the hardware, which I’m guessing could be anything up to £100 per unit, it’s got to be at least £450, maybe more.

We should find out more tomorrow night. What do you all think/expect?

Last edited:
As I understand is there are two versions coming - one possibly doesn't have a optical drive.

If true, I think there will be one at 400-450, PS5 at 500 and the "full fat" version at 500-500.

Phil Spencer said some time back that they want it to be more powerful than the Ps5 - lets assume this will be the case (although we won't know for maybe a year yet). This will be the USP.

#Xbox Scarlett dev kit : CPU - 3.4ghz 12core Zen2 GPU - AMD "Arcturus" 14.336tflops (80CUs) + L4 1GB at 1.3TB/s RAM - 28gb gddr6 (4gb for OS) at 672GB/s STORAGE - 500GB SSD NVMe at 6GB/s cache + 1TB HDD "Secret sauce" MS IA + hardware real time ray tracing #Microsoft #E32019

that's the solid rumour of the specs

Just been looking to see if there is an E3 thread anywhere as I’m interested to see what happens.

Just been looking to see if there is an E3 thread anywhere as I’m interested to see what happens.

I don't think there is an E3 thread, if there is I've missed it somewhere! Xbox is tonight I think.

I don't think there is an E3 thread, if there is I've missed it somewhere! Xbox is tonight I think.
I’ve been quiet on here for a while and was surprised to find there wasn’t one. There’s normally a lot of buzz around e3 with various threads.

Yeah, it's normally quite popular by start of the event. There's an E3 thread in the Switch section, but it's very quiet.

#Xbox Scarlett dev kit : CPU - 3.4ghz 12core Zen2 GPU - AMD "Arcturus" 14.336tflops (80CUs) + L4 1GB at 1.3TB/s RAM - 28gb gddr6 (4gb for OS) at 672GB/s STORAGE - 500GB SSD NVMe at 6GB/s cache + 1TB HDD "Secret sauce" MS IA + hardware real time ray tracing #Microsoft #E32019

that's the solid rumour of the specs

Dev kits are normally more powerful than the system xbox X 6tflops xbox X dev kit 6.6tflops
Hopefully more will be revealed at tonight's e3 cant wait

its going to be a beast

For me it's got to either have an SSD from the start or the ability to replace drives yourself like PS4 does. In this day and age there's no reason they can't do that.

be disappointing if its 500gb 2tb at least

I think the Scarlett Anaconda (more powerful one) is going to be a bit of a beast. At a recent AMD event MS were up on stage with them and they were going on about what a deep collaboration they had.

Phil Spencer has also said that they’ll get the hardware a bit cheaper due to economies of scale. The same board that makes up the Anaconda will also be used as a server blade in the Azure racks. This means they’re going to be buying an awful lot of them going forward.

This next bit is complete rumour. AMD’s next tech will be based around ‘chiplet’ technology. These are smaller chips that are close in proximity on the board to minimise latency. It doesn’t offer much, if any advantage in terms of performance, but there is a cost effect. Sony as far as I know are going with another APU. This is CPU, GPU, memory controllers etc. all on one dye. Problem with this comes with chip binning. If there’s a significant error on any part of the chip then the whole thing has to be thrown out. By using ‘chiplets’ if there’s an error on the CPU it only affects that, so only the CPU gets binned. When you move to a newish process (7nm) yields tend to start low and improve throughout the generation. Using this new layout over an APU will give better yields therefore cheaper hardware.

I’m hoping for the upper end of the 12-14TF range mentioned earlier. The rumoured specs above look amazing but yes dev kits tend to be slightly better spec’ed than the eventual retail version. If they do have a 12 core Zen 2 CPU though that is massive. Dedicated ray tracing hardware would also be big. The 1GB of stacked memory on top of the GPU would be immense. 1.3TB/s of bandwidth! It’ll work similar to the esRAM from the Xbox one. Now I know that didn’t work out very well, but the problem wasn’t that devs didn’t like it, it was that there just wasn’t nearly enough of it (it was somewhere around 32-40MB if memory serves). If there really is 1GB of stacked memory here with that bandwidth it’s be great.

I do think the Anaconda will be expensive though. I think we might stand a chance of MS eating a bit of the hardware costs, or at least selling at cost to start with as I really think they liked having the most powerful console with the X. Sony had better first party games last gen so they’ll have that to trade on going forwards. With the X MS could say that all 3rd party games would play best on the X. They need to keep that. Until these new studios are up and running and releasing quality games they can’t trade on it. Being able to push 3rd party as a better experience on their platform would be good for them.

I reckon a minimum of £499 for Anaconda.

Was I wrong or did they say four times the power of the X for Scarlett? That can’t be GPU power, that’d mean 24TFs! Had to be CPU.

No mention of two SKUs.

Hardware accelerated ray tracing, that’s big.

Said the same as Sony about SSD and load times being a thing of the past.

No numbers though. Hopefully later in the conference.

They seemed to be really pushing the streaming of games with this console, something Im not keen on doing, but it sounded like this new console will give everyone a choice of how they want to play games.

Given there's some talk of 120fps, does that mean these next gen consoles won't work on existing tvs? Aren't current sets limited to 60fps?

Given there's some talk of 120fps, does that mean these next gen consoles won't work on existing tvs? Aren't current sets limited to 60fps?
They'll work, you'll just see it as 60fps and the extra frames generated will be wasted. There may be a way of telling the console that it's connected to a 60Hz display and it'll only generate the games at 60fps, we'll have to wait and see.

They'll work, you'll just see it as 60fps and the extra frames generated will be wasted. There may be a way of telling the console that it's connected to a 60Hz display and it'll only generate the games at 60fps, we'll have to wait and see.
Like the way EDID already works which tells the connected device what modes the display supports so it will output only the required resolutions and frame rates. It won't generate more frames than required and will throttle the GPU back accordingly

Was I wrong or did they say four times the power of the X for Scarlett? That can’t be GPU power, that’d mean 24TFs! Had to be CPU.
I thought they were talking about the CPU being 4x the power of the previous gen. I think the rumours of the GPU being between 12 -14 Tflops will prove to be accurate.

As it stands the next gen playstation and Xbox will be very comparable from a spec stand point. It will be the games that separate them which I suppose is the way it should be.

Last edited:
I thought they were talking about the CPU being 4x the power of the previous gen. I think the rumours of the GPU being between 12 -14 Tflops will prove to be accurate.

As it stands the next gen playstation and Xbox will be very comparable from a spec stand point. It will be the games that separate them which I suppose is then way it should be.
No, he said that Scarlett had a Zen 2 CPU and Navi GPU and in terms of processing power was 4X that of Xbox One X. CPU wasn't talked about on its own. It was a misleading statement that they've since cleared up, they weren't talking about processor numbers here (TFs) they were talking about overall system power, so CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD all together.

I agree with your second paragraph, I think there'll be about 10% difference between them in terms of total system power. It's then about the customisations each one made as they've both got custom hardware. Personally I don't think the customisations will be that significant so as you say it'll come down to the games and also the services.

Sony have a much bigger install base with the PS4 gen and they've released some great exclusive games over the last couple of years that I can't see why many current Playstation owners would swap over if they've made any kind of investment in digital content. I think the PS5 will therefore outsell the next Xbox but that's fine, MS has enough of the marketshare to make gaming important to them and now both Sony and Nintendo will be using Azure servers for their cloud infrastructure they'll make money from the competitions success as well.

No, he said that Scarlett had a Zen 2 CPU and Navi GPU and in terms of processing power was 4X that of Xbox One X. CPU wasn't talked about on its own. It was a misleading statement that they've since cleared up, they weren't talking about processor numbers here (TFs) they were talking about overall system power, so CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD all together.

I agree with your second paragraph, I think there'll be about 10% difference between them in terms of total system power. It's then about the customisations each one made as they've both got custom hardware. Personally I don't think the customisations will be that significant so as you say it'll come down to the games and also the services.

Sony have a much bigger install base with the PS4 gen and they've released some great exclusive games over the last couple of years that I can't see why many current Playstation owners would swap over if they've made any kind of investment in digital content. I think the PS5 will therefore outsell the next Xbox but that's fine, MS has enough of the marketshare to make gaming important to them and now both Sony and Nintendo will be using Azure servers for their cloud infrastructure they'll make money from the competitions success as well.
Thanks for clearing that up. It looks like Sony and Microsoft are going to continue to push each other which can only be a good thing for us all.

yeah I am looking forward to this a lot, I think there is going to be some really interesting developments in the next few years and it wont be X console hardware is better than Y console and more about services and ecosystems. I tend to buy an xbox first and a Playstation a bit later on when list of exclusives gets big enough. Whats interesting this time as I may not need to as if I can stream a PS5 exclusive to my PS4 pro do I need to buy a PS5 at all ? I guess not maybe.
Same if you get a PS5 but still have a Xbox one - are we about to see the end of the "buy them both" answer to the which is best to own question ??? Also loving the GamePass on PC and Xbox as I play both and can game with my Son on Xbox from the PC now on a lot of games which frankly is worth a lot to me and not something Sony seems to interested in.

Like the way EDID already works which tells the connected device what modes the display supports so it will output only the required resolutions and frame rates. It won't generate more frames than required and will throttle the GPU back accordingly
I don't think the GPU will be throttled automatically by the capabilities of a display. There's talk of 8K, while I don't believe that to be feasible for AAA games, if we play say an indie game that's native 8K and Scarlett is connected to a 4K display that doesn't necessarily mean the GPU will be throttled, the game will likely just be down-sampled to 4K.

If you think of the Xbox One X setup on a 1080p TV, it's likely to just follow the same setup as that, where the One X's 4K games get down-samepled to 1080p.

The framerate is more interesting. It would be pointless to let the console run games at 120fps if the display doesn't support it. In this instance I'd imagine the option would just be greyed out, much like on Xbox One X if you connect it to a TV that doesn't support Dolby Vision, the option is simply not selectable.

The odds of 120fps being significant for the next-gen are slim anyway. For two console generations now 30fps has been the standard, I'd hope 60fps to at least become the new standard. I seriously would have doubts about seeing any demanding AAA games at native 4K, while also operating at 120fps.

That's not to say we won't see options in games, like we have performance modes in some games now on Xbox One X, where you get 4K 30fps, or opt for Performance mode and have it dropped to 1080p, but at upto 60fps.

The new Battletoads game gives the impression it could do both native 8K and 120fps though! :eek:

Thinking regards the price of console. For people like me who Xbox is primary console and who are invested in game pass etc then this launch could be the “cheapest” yet depending on launch price

No need to purchase games as will have them “free” with game pass. No need to purchase an additional controllers as already have three for current Xbox consoles which will work next gen.

So if the console is five hundred quid and if that’s all I have to pay because halo infinite and fable and other first party launch titles are on game pass then that’s all I have to pay

Looking forward to the next Xbox. I skipped the Xbox One but picked up the X Scorpio on release. I will almost certainly be picking up the next Xbox on release as well.

2 x OG Xbox, 5 x 360, 2 x XB1, 1 x XB1s and a Scorpio to date so I’m in as it stands lol. In fact they should give me one for free for all that support!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom