Question Xbox Series X - Worth it without hdmi 2.1 for 4k@120Hz ?

Nick0slicK

Novice Member
Reaction score
So guys and girls I was initially excited about the upcoming Xbox series X, until I noticed that my 2018 Samsung QLED 9 series QE55Q9FN only Supports 4k @60Hz and 1080P @120Hz (hdmi2.0). In fact I even checked this years QLED 90 QE55Q90R and that doesn’t have 2.1. Is there gonna be any point in getting the console in October? Can you upgrade the hdmi port? This is gonna be expensive.

I mean I literally don't think ANY games will run at 120FPS. I really think HDMI 2.1 is about future proofing not really a necessity for buying the console at all....95% of buyers won't have 2.1....

The Xbox one X, which I own, can already output 4k@ 60hz /frames per second which is the max for hdmi2.0. So spec wise what’s the point in upgrading to a £500 console And a £1500 TV.

I mean I literally don't think ANY games will run at 120FPS. I really think HDMI 2.1 is about future proofing not really a necessity for buying the console at all....95% of buyers won't have 2.1....
Im pretty sure AAA titles will either support max 4K @ 120 and 8k @30

Im pretty sure AAA titles will either support max 4K @ 120 and 8k @30

Erm no. You are getting confused by capability of output and capability of the power.

Games will be 4K 30/60 - but you realise that a games graphics is not defined by those numbers...the point is games will run at 4k60 - but look a lot better - and the CPU will allow for more action on screen etc...

We're at a point where increasing resolution doesn't make much sense and isn't really viable.

So guys and girls I was initially excited about the upcoming Xbox series X, until I noticed that my 2018 Samsung QLED 9 series QE55Q9FN only Supports 4k @60Hz and 1080P @120Hz (hdmi2.0). In fact I even checked this years QLED 90 QE55Q90R and that doesn’t have 2.1. Is there gonna be any point in getting the console in October? Can you upgrade the hdmi port? This is gonna be expensive.

What makes you think the console will actually be out this year?

Erm no. You are getting confused by capability of output and capability of the power.

Games will be 4K 30/60 - but you realise that a games graphics is not defined by those numbers...the point is games will run at 4k60 - but look a lot better - and the CPU will allow for more action on screen etc...

We're at a point where increasing resolution doesn't make much sense and isn't really viable.
How will it be 4k 60/30? The Xbox one x has about 6 teraflops of GPU and SATA hard drive and outputs at that already. The series x will have 12TF Of GPU and an SSD! And Devs at cyberpunk have already stated they will have a series x patch to take it beyond the one X release. Lets not side track and get back on topic, I’m interested in the fact that only the very cream of the crop TVs have 2.1 hdmi. That’s he angle I’m coming in at. Are there ways around it hardware wise.

I’m almost 100% confident that new consoles won’t be playing games at 4K120

At most, they’ll be playing at 4K60

Currently, the Xbox One X uses techniques such as dynamic resolution to achieve 4K30 in some games.

Think about it logically, even £1K GPUs (2080 Ti) can’t comfortably hit 4K120 even paired with CPUs running at 5 GHz that cost >£250

High frame rates put a significant amount of stress on the CPU, due to the quicker processing times required for physics etc (hence why intel CPUs are typically better for gaming - better single core performance)

Therefore, how can you expect a ~£500 console to achieve these frame rates without significant impact on texture and visual quality?

How will it be 4k 60/30? The Xbox one x has about 6 teraflops of GPU and SATA hard drive and outputs at that already. The series x will have 12TF Of GPU and an SSD! And Devs at cyberpunk have already stated they will have a series x patch to take it beyond the one X release. Lets not side track and get back on topic, I’m interested in the fact that only the very cream of the crop TVs have 2.1 hdmi. That’s he angle I’m coming in at. Are there ways around it hardware wise.

Beyond the X release doesn't mean you'll have a higher resolution or framerate. The top end PC's today aren't playing games at 8K and the new console will be close to those in power.

The numbers don't define the quality. You asked will you miss out on HDMI 2.1 the answer is almost certainly not.

I’m almost 100% confident that new consoles won’t be playing games at 4K120

At most, they’ll be playing at 4K60

Currently, the Xbox One X uses techniques such as dynamic resolution to achieve 4K30 in some games.

Think about it logically, even £1K GPUs (2080 Ti) can’t comfortably hit 4K120 even paired with CPUs running at 5 GHz that cost >£250

High frame rates put a significant amount of stress on the CPU, due to the quicker processing times required for physics etc (hence why intel CPUs are typically better for gaming - better single core performance)

Therefore, how can you expect a ~£500 console to achieve these frame rates without significant impact on texture and visual quality?
Maybe I’m hung up on the headline figures. I just know that HDMI 2.0 can’t support 8k, can’t support 4k @120, all of which are headlined to be capable with the Series X. soif I’m to be in with a chance of seeing these benefits I’m facing buying a new TV again 😆 having only owned my QLED 9series for a year and a half.

I talking about current events.
There's plenty of talk that with what is happening in the world at the moment, chances are we won't be seeing next gen until early next year.

I talking about current events.
There's plenty of talk that with what is happening in the world at the moment, chances are we won't be seeing next gen until early next year.

I think that is a bit presumptuous. Infection rates in China are slowing and talk of production of iphones etc re-starting. Lets see - anything is possible but I'd not say your scenario is at this point "likely".

10tflop+ GPUs have been out for a number of years and struggle to push 4k 60hz for sure it can be done on consoles but it will be at the expense of textures and other graphical details, Personally I would rather have a great looking 4k 60hz game than a poor looking 120hz version

I think that is a bit presumptuous. Infection rates in China are slowing and talk of production of iphones etc re-starting. Lets see - anything is possible but I'd not say your scenario is at this point "likely".

Just repeating what I've been hearing the last couple of weeks.
Between the talk of iPhone production and next-gen console delays, it makes sense seeing as almost everything is made in China.

One of the things that's highlighted the possible delays is what's happening with GameStop in the US.
They're hanging on by a thread, hoping to last until the next-gen consoles release, but with everything that's happening and the possibility of the consoles being delayed until around spring next year, GameStop won't last that long.

And no, this I haven't heard this from The S*n or any other gossip rag like that.
Just general gaming news online.

Maybe I’m hung up on the headline figures. I just know that HDMI 2.0 can’t support 8k, can’t support 4k @120, all of which are headlined to be capable with the Series X. soif I’m to be in with a chance of seeing these benefits I’m facing buying a new TV again 😆 having only owned my QLED 9series for a year and a half.

Capable isn’t the same as “it will do it”.

Consoles aren’t consistently hitting 4K yet, so I imagine it’ll be at least another generation before they’re doing 8K gaming with decent quality.

Just repeating what I've been hearing the last couple of weeks.
Between the talk of iPhone production and next-gen console delays, it makes sense seeing as almost everything is made in China.

One of the things that's highlighted the possible delays is what's happening with GameStop in the US.
They're hanging on by a thread, hoping to last until the next-gen consoles release, but with everything that's happening and the possibility of the consoles being delayed until around spring next year, GameStop won't last that long.

And no, this I haven't heard this from The S*n or any other gossip rag like that.
Just general gaming news online.

Latest today is that iphone production is expected to return to normal in coming weeks. Its way too early to predict how it effects next gen consoles, both MS and Sony have thus far said "it doesn't". Could change but I doubt the world is going to grind to a halt - in harsh and unfortunate terms (but ultimately true) it simply doesn't kill enough people for that to happen for any extended period. Timing clearly will play a part though.

And here I was hoping for some kind of zombie outbreak 😔

The new consoles will be out this year whether there in sufficient quantity for alot of people to buy them i have my doubts

as for the games i think some games will offer VRR and unlocked framerates so could go above 4k60fps. yes might not run at 4k120hz but could vary inbetween 60hz and 120hz also phil spencer has said he wants higher frame rates

as for your Q9FN i wouldnt replace that with any tv available this year from samsung they have seriously borked the Q90t its got the same specs as a Q80R.

also the xbox one X is actually HDMI 2.1 it was the first device to support it

The Series X will definitely be worth it even on a TV that doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 as the extra power should mean at a minimum all games should be 4K/60fps with additional bells and whistles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom