Xbox Series X won’t play online - Sky internet issue?

zed4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My Xbox Series X refuses to play online! It’s really frustrating, I’ve tried so many things but I’m at a loss. Really I thought it would be a case of connecting it to my internet and away we go, but just nothing seems to work.

It’s definitely connected to the internet. It downloads games, I can receive game invites and see my friends, but it won’t let me play online.

In Flight Simulator I keep getting a message saying that I’ve been disconnected, then later reconnected again.

In Forza, it’s online, it shows me how well I’m doing against my friends on the various leader boards, but I can’t join a convoy or play along with friends. Today it did let me join a convoy once and I drove around with some other players, but it’s back to not working again now.

Have you got any ideas what could be wrong? I’ve tried changing the SSID of my two networks to different names but that doesn’t work at all. I’ve played around with various settings on the router to no avail. I’ve also tried hardwiring it with an Ethernet cable and it still doesn’t work!

I have Sky internet with Sky Q, if that makes any difference. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan
74B3D2D3-434E-4070-A7D1-9A7B9B61A8BE.jpeg
51F27523-37A0-4E89-BE47-61CECA8D2F2B.jpeg

Don't happen to have Sky's Broadband Shield enabled do you?

Just checked my sky. Looks like I did. I’ve just disabled it.
Causes more trouble than it's worth, it may help may not, but if everything else is working OK apart from online, doubt it's the broadband.

Not sure how quick disabling it has an effect, possibly try a reboot of the hub.

Anything on XBOX forums etc?

Forza is back working online again after power cycling the router and Xbox! Maybe it was disabling Shield, or maybe it was something else. I’ll see if it continues to stay connected….

Forza is back working online again after power cycling the router and Xbox! Maybe it was disabling Shield, or maybe it was something else. I’ll see if it continues to stay connected….
🤞

I know from experience Shield can be a pain in the ass, so hopefully it has helped.

Hmm, back to not working again this evening. How annoying. No idea what’s wrong with this

If you tether off your phone, does it work?

Worth doing to try and isolate the issue.

Next would be to try another modem/router if possible.

Odd, can't see how your broadband is the issue if all other aspects of online work OK.

If not tried already, try a full reset of the hub rather than reboot/restart.

Maybe try a Google search or Xbox community forums.

If you tether off your phone, does it work?

Worth doing to try and isolate the issue.

Next would be to try another modem/router if possible.
Just ran out of data on my phone today but it renews tomorrow so I can try them. Used so much data over Christmas!

I’ve just tried my Asus router instead of the Sky hub. Speeds seem to be slower on the Asus according to the Xbox speed test in the network settings. Still doesn’t work though. Still not able to play online with the Asus router.

Ok, so I’ve worked out that online play only seems to work if I unplug the console. If I shut it down using the controller and turn it on using the controller, it won’t connect. But shut it down by disconnecting the power and it connects just fine when it boots up. Strange.

And now after pulling the power plug and turning it back on, it works again! Don’t get it!
Hub or console?
Ok, so I’ve worked out that online play only seems to work if I unplug the console. If I shut it down using the controller and turn it on using the controller, it won’t connect. But shut it down by disconnecting the power and it connects just fine when it boots up. Strange.
Strange indeed. This wired or wireless? Is it possible to try the opposite.

A console reset might be needed.

Hub or console?

Strange indeed. This wired or wireless? Is it possible to try the opposite.

A console reset might be needed.
Console.

I tried a reset this evening. Asked to do a reset but keep my games. Now it’s rebooted and I can’t see any games, although it says half my storage is taken.

I’m trying to open my games but I’ve just got a spinning wheel which never seems to go. This system seems so buggy. Pretty disappointed to be honest. Really expected it to just work out the box.

Console.

I tried a reset this evening. Asked to do a reset but keep my games. Now it’s rebooted and I can’t see any games, although it says half my storage is taken.

I’m trying to open my games but I’ve just got a spinning wheel which never seems to go. This system seems so buggy. Pretty disappointed to be honest. Really expected it to just work out the box.
Just do a full reset, pain when it comes to downloading games again but sounds like it needs.

Sounds like you are/just unlucky with it. My launch console always worked flawlessly, and my Halo one does since I've owned it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom