Xbox Series X Weird Graphical Glitches

Lupo3554

Novice Member
Hi,

I bought an Xbox Series X about a month ago, and recently I noticed some weird graphical glitches, I'm not exactly sure if all of them are inflicted from the same problem, but the glitches are:
1) White pixels or blocks poping in the screen - This is the most frequent one.
2) Black blocks poping in the screen.
3) Weird artifacts poping in the screen.
4) Wrong textures popping in some objects (and the right textures are switched immediately afterwards).

The video here demonstrates these problems on a few different games:

All of these problems only occur sometimes (while the first problem is the most frequent) and only for a fraction of a second every time, I didn't notice these problems when I first bought the xbox (though it's possible that I just didn't notice it). All four problems happen with an LG OLED65CX when I used 120hz and VRR with the hdmi cable the xbox series came with, but at least the first problem on Gears 5 and at least on Watch Dogs Legion (it's probable that also some of the other problems will happen on more games than those two, but I'm not sure yet), also happens when:

1) I disabled VRR
2) Set 60hz through xbox settings without VRR.
3) Set 60hz with VRR.
4) Limited the resolution to1080p
5) Disabled HDR.
6) Connected my xbox to a 1080p samsung tv.
7) Replaced the hdmi cable with my one (it was not an HDMI 2.1 cable)

It happened with all color depths or spaces (generally I set it to 10-bit standard). I also tried to power cycle my xbox and to do a factory reset, but the problem persists.

My Xbox should be well ventilated, it is standing in an open space and the objects/walls from the sides of it are about 15-30cm away.

I've googled a bit before posting here and it seems there are some posts regarding problems similar to this, but I'm not exactly sure if it's the same problem or a bit different one, also it seems people solved it by disabling 60hz, disable VRR or use a different HDMI cable, which does not solve it in my case.

Is anyone familiar with this sort of problem and might know a possible solution or alternatively does someone know if this is a hardware problem and I should send my console for repair?

adbailey18

Distinguished Member
Seems you have tried a fair few things there. I have a 55CX and experienced no issues like touchable mentioned.

It would be easier to send the console for repair than get the TV checked I guess

rowedav

Distinguished Member
I’ve seen the odd thing on Warzone as you showed in your vid. Happens quite rarely though and I’ve never really given it much thought or concern. Not noticed anything on any other game that I can recall.
Strange.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
If you have an external HDD connected by USB, unplug that and see if you still encounter these issues.

It's worth a shot to add to your already thorough testing list.

Are you in the Xbox Preview program too? Before shifting off your console for repair, I'd recommend either leaving the preview or dropping further down the enrolment list for more stability.

Lupo3554

Novice Member
Thanks for all of the feedback. :)
As for your questions/suggestions:
1) I don't have any external HDD connected by USB and I'm not in the Xbox Preview program.
2) I tried to replicate this on a different tv (a Samsung 1080p 60hz tv) the first problem (which is the most frequent one) does happen for sure on Gears 5 and on Watch Dogs Legion, I'm not entirely sure regarding the other problems and on other games (the other problems aren't that frequent and are a bit hard to replicate generally and the first problem is really frequent in Gears 5 and especially in Watch Dogs Legion).

rowedav

Distinguished Member
The Watchdogs issue...I’d normally put down as just a ‘game’ issue where the game just isn’t loading things in correctly (It’s quite a buggy/glitchy game after all) but as you’re getting it with Gears as well (which is a very well optimised game in general)...I’d say you might have a faulty Xbox.

Where did you get it - if a brick & mortar store Id try for a replacement

Lupo3554

Novice Member
The Watchdogs issue...I’d normally put down as just a ‘game’ issue where the game just isn’t loading things in correctly (It’s quite a buggy/glitchy game after all) but as you’re getting it with Gears as well (which is a very well optimised game in general)...I’d say you might have a faulty Xbox.

Where did you get it - if a brick & mortar store Id try for a replacement
Hmmm, I live in Israel, there is no other way to buy basically (we do have amazon but it does not ship here most of its products...). Anyway, I have the Microsoft warranty, so should be fine to try for a replacement or a repair I hope...

Last edited:
COPIED FROM THE XBOX SUPPORT WEBSITE.

4K/120hzKnown issue: If you're using a [email protected] TV that also supports VRR you might encounter no signal or a corrupted image when the Xbox is configured for 4K120+VRR. This issue occurs with various TVs from LG, Samsung, or Vizio.Workaround:

Update to the latest firmware on your TVIf using an LG TV: https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-driversFor further assistance on setting up your LG TV to get the most out of your Xbox Series X|S, go to the LG troubleshooting/support guide.If using a Samsung TV: Samsung Download Center: Owner's Manuals, Firmware Updates & Drivers | Samsung US If using a Vizio TV: https://support.vizio.com/s/firmware-search For further assistance on setting up your Vizio TV to get the most out of your Xbox Series X|S, go to the Vizio support FAQ.

Note: To best ensure that you always have the latest firmware update for your TV, confirm that you TV is connected to the internet and that automatic updates are enabled.

If the issue persists, also consider trying the following:Configure the console for 4K/60 with VRR by going to Settings> General > TV & display options > Video Modes. Check the box for Allow variable refresh rate.Configure the console for 4K/120 with no VRR by going to Settings > General > TV & display options > Video Modes. Uncheck the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under Display in TV & Display options.If you wish to experience 120hz and VRR, configure for 1080p/120hz VRR or 1440p/120hz VRR by going to Settings > General > TV & display options > Video Modes. Check the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under Display in TV & Display options.

If you're experiencing a corrupted image, try these workarounds to revert back to a safe video mode:Restart your console and configure your video modes to one of the options listed above.If you're still experiencing a corrupted image after restart, disable VRR on the TV. Consult your TV manufacture's manual on how to do this.If the issue still persists after steps 1 and 2, perform the video mode reset sequence to get back to a safe state and configure for one of the two options above. To do this, follow these steps under Your screen is blank after you turn on the console > Reset your display settings.

Its more likely something to do with this some people will have the bug others won't or it may manifest at different times someone who hasn't had it yet may or may not have it in the future

Lupo3554

Novice Member
COPIED FROM THE XBOX SUPPORT WEBSITE.

4K/120hzKnown issue: If you're using a [email protected] TV that also supports VRR you might encounter no signal or a corrupted image when the Xbox is configured for 4K120+VRR. This issue occurs with various TVs from LG, Samsung, or Vizio.Workaround:

Update to the latest firmware on your TVIf using an LG TV: https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-driversFor further assistance on setting up your LG TV to get the most out of your Xbox Series X|S, go to the LG troubleshooting/support guide.If using a Samsung TV: Samsung Download Center: Owner's Manuals, Firmware Updates & Drivers | Samsung US If using a Vizio TV: https://support.vizio.com/s/firmware-search For further assistance on setting up your Vizio TV to get the most out of your Xbox Series X|S, go to the Vizio support FAQ.

Note: To best ensure that you always have the latest firmware update for your TV, confirm that you TV is connected to the internet and that automatic updates are enabled.

If the issue persists, also consider trying the following:Configure the console for 4K/60 with VRR by going to Settings> General > TV & display options > Video Modes. Check the box for Allow variable refresh rate.Configure the console for 4K/120 with no VRR by going to Settings > General > TV & display options > Video Modes. Uncheck the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under Display in TV & Display options.If you wish to experience 120hz and VRR, configure for 1080p/120hz VRR or 1440p/120hz VRR by going to Settings > General > TV & display options > Video Modes. Check the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under Display in TV & Display options.

If you're experiencing a corrupted image, try these workarounds to revert back to a safe video mode:Restart your console and configure your video modes to one of the options listed above.If you're still experiencing a corrupted image after restart, disable VRR on the TV. Consult your TV manufacture's manual on how to do this.If the issue still persists after steps 1 and 2, perform the video mode reset sequence to get back to a safe state and configure for one of the two options above. To do this, follow these steps under Your screen is blank after you turn on the console > Reset your display settings.

Its more likely something to do with this some people will have the bug others won't or it may manifest at different times someone who hasn't had it yet may or may not have it in the future

Thanks for the answer :).
Unfortunately , the guidelines in their official post was the first thing I tried, additionally the main problem (first one on the list) also happens when I use an 1080p 60hz tv (no vrr, no allm, no 120hz, no 4k and no hdr on that tv) so it will be a bit weird if this is the source of the problem I think, some of the problems in the video might indeed have been solved by this guideline I think, but the main one persists.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer :).
Unfortunately , the guidelines in their official post was the first thing I tried, additionally the main problem (first one on the list) also happens when I use an 1080p 60hz tv (no vrr, no allm, no 120hz, no 4k and no hdr on that tv) so it will be a bit weird if this is the source of the problem I think, some of the problems in the video might indeed have been solved by this guideline I think, but the main one persists.
Yeah I think that is all what can be achieved at the moment but I still believe that is the problem it's something you may just have to live with until a permanent fix comes

DpM

Last night I suddenly got an issue with the dashboard and it was partially visible with some of the system messages. It was fully visible with games. Switching from 120htz to 60htz fixes it, as soon as I switch back it was back again. Very odd as I have been running in 120htz for days now with no issues.
I will play again later hopefully it can be rectified.
IMG_20210116_221050.jpg
IMG_20210116_221057.jpg

Came here to post about the same issue on the dashboard
Been searching for an answer and can’t find anyone else with some Issue
It’s only there in 120htz all the time and not always obvious when in games, it disappears when changing to 60htz
Only got XSX on Thursday and was there from start
Anyone know of a fix for it Iv tried all Settings but nothing works other than back to 60fps
Last night I suddenly got an issue with the dashboard and it was partially visible with some of the system messages. It was fully visible with games. Switching from 120htz to 60htz fixes it, as soon as I switch back it was back again. Very odd as I have been running in 120htz for days now with no issues.
I will play again later hopefully it can be rectified.
View attachment 1442793View attachment 1442794

It’s only there in 120htz all the time and not always obvious when in games, it disappears when changing to 60htz
Anyone know of a fix for it Iv tried all Settings but nothing works other than back to 60fps
There is no fix yet it is mentioned on the Xbox support page

There is no fix yet it is mentioned on the Xbox support page

Thanks I take it’s an Xbox problem and not LG
I’ll just drop to 60fps and wait for a fix
Although running it at 120 FPS doesn’t seem to affect anything othe4 than catching sight of it occasionally 😔

DpM

What TV do you have? Mine is an LG B9.

Thanks I take it’s an Xbox problem and not LG
I’ll just drop to 60fps and wait for a fix
Although running it at 120 FPS doesn’t seem to affect anything othe4 than catching sight of it occasionally 😔
I think it's either or and to be honest I wouldnt hold out for a fix if it could be sorted then it would be sorted as both LG and Xbox have been pretty quick releaseiing patches so far

I think it's either or and to be honest I wouldnt hold out for a fix if it could be sorted then it would be sorted as both LG and Xbox have been pretty quick releaseiing patches so far

Thanks mate seems strange that I couldn’t find any other instance of same issue, hopefully an update might inadvertently fix it 😀
Only thing I’m doing is Xbox directly into tv in hdmi 3 until I update my amp
Will try hdmi 1 just to make sure it’s nothing connected to that, very much doubt it but worth a shot

Thanks

Thanks mate seems strange that I couldn’t find any other instance of same issue, hopefully an update might inadvertently fix it 😀
Only thing I’m doing is Xbox directly into tv in hdmi 3 until I update my amp
Will try hdmi 1 just to make sure it’s nothing connected to that, very much doubt it but worth a shot

Thanks
Mines in hdmi one and it does the same sometimes so it is what it is I suppose it's a downside to having the new 2.1 tech in a tv

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
I get the same random glitches on my Series S on Warzone.

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
I think it's caused by the system previously been overheated, because some people get it early o, and some others get it later, in one or various games.
i guess thats possible, I've never heard the console fan get loud though.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton