Mat-O

I cannot get my Xbox series X to pass Atmos sound to my Receiver while using the Blu Ray app.
I have checked the box to “allow receiver to decode”, but playing LOTR Extended UHD this evening it was only passing Dolby TrueHD to it.

Interestingly, when I am playing a game the Xbox does pass Atmos through (using Bitstream out and Atmos Setting).

Has anyone else tried this disc, or seen similar?

jsl20

No issues on mine but I have noticed that some discs are not natively set in Atmos. The Matrix, for example, plays in Dolby 5.1 unless you go into the audio menu and select Atmos. Maybe check the audio menu and make sure Atmos is selected.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
How is it as a uhd Blu-ray player? Not sure there have really been any scientific proper reviews of it as a uhd player but I know there was recently a fix for the raised blacks. Presumably the only negative is the lack of DV but that's not really a deal breaker especially for Sony TV owners where DV is player led.
I'll have to try it I suppose, if I can find a uhd disc...

jsl20

I don’t have any issues though I don’t have a dedicated UHD player to compare it to. There’s no DV which is frustrating but not every disc is DV complaint, some are HDR10 only. The only niggle is that it’s a noisy disc reader so there’s always a whir, which is fine for loud movies but if it’s a quiet scene it can get distracting. I’ve only got a handful of movies of disc so unless that grows I don’t see massive value in getting a dedicated player.

Mat-O

Thanks for replies.

The problem was with LOTR Extended trilogy, this has been my first and only UHD disc!
I will try others to see whether the problem persists.

I also don’t have a dedicated UHD player to compare to, but the image did look spectacular in places. I thought the blacks looked a bit grey, but my TV is a few years old now, and while it has HDR, it doesn’t support HDR10.

IL Cattivo

Thought I'd tag on to this thread as it seemed fairly relevant to my question:

What's the general consensus with the XBOX SX for playing UHD/HDR discs. I realise there are many that don't have anything to compare it with like a dedicated player, but just wanted to know peoples thoughts on their experiences with picture and sound and if it's up to scratch?

jsl20

I have no issues with the picture or sound that comes out of the HDMI. I do have an issue with the sound that comes out of the disc drive though. It's very loud and isn't ideal for quite scenes in films.

IL Cattivo

I have no issues with the picture or sound that comes out of the HDMI. I do have an issue with the sound that comes out of the disc drive though. It's very loud and isn't ideal for quite scenes in films.
Ok, thanks... Not such a biggie for me that, as it'll be home office-based and will be mostly used with headphones of an evening/night.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom