Xbox Series X sound issues missing sound effects when on 4k 120hz oledB9

stylianos

Hello there. Got an OLED55B9 and an Xbox Series X. It seems like whenever i set the console to 4k & 120hz, some of my games (ive noticed this happening with AC Valhalla and Gears 5)sound effects are absent. In AC my characters footsteps are completely muted whileother sound effects such us the sounds produced when you attack seem normal. Moreover, dialogues when watching cutscenes are also absent. Furthermore, in Gears 5 whenever my own character speaks the sound is totally faint (if i put my ear on the tv i can actually hear my characters voice but very faint) however, when other NPC's speak while playing the game i can hear them normally. The issue goes away when i set the xbox to 4k 60hz or 1440p 120hz. Using the Ultra High speed cable that came with xbox. VRR is enabled. Everything that needs to be set on the TV's side is set correctly.(watched a few youtube videos on how the tv's settings should be). Anyone having the same issue?

next010

Distinguished Member
Hello there. Got an OLED55B9 and an Xbox Series X. It seems like whenever i set the console to 4k & 120hz, some of my games (ive noticed this happening with AC Valhalla and Gears 5)sound effects are absent. In AC my characters footsteps are completely muted whileother sound effects such us the sounds produced when you attack seem normal. Moreover, dialogues when watching cutscenes are also absent. Furthermore, in Gears 5 whenever my own character speaks the sound is totally faint (if i put my ear on the tv i can actually hear my characters voice but very faint) however, when other NPC's speak while playing the game i can hear them normally. The issue goes away when i set the xbox to 4k 60hz or 1440p 120hz. Using the Ultra High speed cable that came with xbox. VRR is enabled. Everything that needs to be set on the TV's side is set correctly.(watched a few youtube videos on how the tv's settings should be). Anyone having the same issue?

Do you have the Dolby Atmos app installed, if so try removing that and see if it makes a difference, there are some known issues with the Dolby Atmos app and LG TV's on Series X.

stylianos

Do you have the Dolby Atmos app installed, if so try removing that and see if it makes a difference, there are some known issues with the Dolby Atmos app and LG TV's on Series X.
Iva had this issue before i installed the Dolby app (The name of the app is actually called Dolby Access right?). Issue persists when app is installed or not. Moreover, last night i was messing with the tv's settings and i came across something called HDMI Audio input. When i select that it gives me 2 options, bitstream and PCM. Bitstream was already selected by default and as soon as i switched to PCM it seemed like the audio effects that were missing such as the characters footsteps and dialogues in cutscenes, got fixed(I cannot be sure if i "broke" something else now). I am not using any AVR, i have my xbox directly connected to the tv's HDMI port. Do you have any idea if PCM is the right option to have there? Thank you for the reply

next010

Distinguished Member
That HDMI audio input setting in WebOS is a bit of a mystery, LG don't really say what it does nor can I find anyone on the internet who knows (I've looked prior to this).

PCM is uncompressed digital audio.
bitstream is passing compressed and uncompressed digital audio.

It could be setting it to PCM tells the TV to decode all incoming audio as PCM (forced downmix to stereo) and the bitstream option tells it to pass the audio to the TV's internal audio decoder which may or may not handle various audio formats (Dolby/DTS etc).

If your Xbox was already just outputting PCM 2.0 (stereo) in the first place then I'm at a loss as to why the HDMI audio input = PCM makes a difference. If your Xbox was outputting 5.1 audio then maybe that would explain it.

It works and I don't think your breaking anything.

stylianos

That HDMI audio input setting in WebOS is a bit of a mystery, LG don't really say what it does nor can I find anyone on the internet who knows (I've looked prior to this).

PCM is uncompressed digital audio.
bitstream is passing compressed and uncompressed digital audio.

It could be setting it to PCM tells the TV to decode all incoming audio as PCM (forced downmix to stereo) and the bitstream option tells it to pass the audio to the TV's internal audio decoder which may or may not handle various audio formats (Dolby/DTS etc).

If your Xbox was already just outputting PCM 2.0 (stereo) in the first place then I'm at a loss as to why the HDMI audio input = PCM makes a difference. If your Xbox was outputting 5.1 audio then maybe that would explain it.

It works and I don't think your breaking anything.
Thank you for the reply. I will let console on 4k 120hz for a few days and stress test it to see if everything works ok. I appreciate your help mate thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom