Xbox series X or Xbox one to replace my PC?

Haliday9

All I wanna do on my PC is play games and browse web, I need a new one but prices are bad at the moment. So I'm thinking of getting either Xbox to replace it for now or maybe permanently if it works out well.

Can I plug my mouse and keyboard into the Xbox and set them up easily? What about my PC monitor and speakers? Would I need a new screen?

Can you install Steam on Xbox? Are the web browsers available good?

Is there anything I'm missing which makes it much better to have a PC?

Thanks.

Indiana Jones

You can plug in a mouse and keyboard but whether they work will entirely depend on the game in question, some will and some wont.

Assuming your monitor has an HDMI input and your speakers are connected to the monitor then you should be fine using those.

No you cannot install Steam, this is Xbox lol and I have found the web browsers a bit basic but I only use them to view the Microsoft Rewards page.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
All I wanna do on my PC is play games and browse web, I need a new one but prices are bad at the moment. So I'm thinking of getting either Xbox to replace it for now or maybe permanently if it works out well.

Can I plug my mouse and keyboard into the Xbox and set them up easily? What about my PC monitor and speakers? Would I need a new screen?

Can you install Steam on Xbox? Are the web browsers available good?

Is there anything I'm missing which makes it much better to have a PC?

Thanks.

Yes you can plug in Mouse and Keyboard but not sure if every game would be compatible.
You would be best googling what games you want to play and if they are compatible on Xbox.

The Series X is the best and latest Xbox and has a HDMI Out so if you monitor has HDMI then it should be fine. The Xbox does not have Optical Out though so not sure if they would work with your speakers.

No you cannot install Steam on the Xbox.
Web Browsers are Edge I think and seem to be OK but I don't use them on the Xbox.

All depends on what games you want to play.

Probably worth looking at the games available along with features to see if it is for you.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Its an unusual question - I thought when I clicked the thread you meant for gaming. But you mean using a console as a PC. Which is of course not possible other than in a very limited use case environment. You can use KB&M - I have no idea how well it works for UI navigation etc. The web browsing is limited in functionality compared to PC. If literally all you do is play games and browse the web you'd be better off with a tablet and console combo.

But if you need a PC for other stuff like word/excel or whatever then you'll not find that easy to replace. I have a cheap PC for work and a console for gaming.

In terms of Series X vs Xbox One - I'd absolutely not go to Xbox One. You could pick up a Series S which is current but less powerful than the Series X. On a monitor unless its massive its probably a good shout as its £200 saved.

Haliday9

Ok thanks guys, looks like I need a PC then if the browsers are not good. Plus I can't play a lot of games without mouse and keyboard controls, anything where you have to aim. Cyber Punk is something I wanted to play and it looks like that has no mouse and keyboard support at all.

Damn, it would be so much cheaper if I could just use consoles.

I agree about buying the cheaper X Box at the moment, the graphics are amazing anyway.

Lostower

Standard Member
Good luck getting your hands on the Xbox series X they are crazy prices still!

Xbox Series X 1TB Console on OnBuy is this now what they are selling them for!!! £200 over the asking price

Tesco no longer selling them
Currys is out of stock!

With the xbox one you can get an adapter for mouse and keyboard games

this is the list of games that would work All Xbox One Games With Mouse and Keyboard Support | Digital Trends

In my own experience browsers are awful on xbox, but they do have apps for prime yt and netflix which are my main uses

Haliday9

Thanks, I got an Xbox S series in the end and using my old PC for browsing.

Great that there is mouse and keyboard support for a lot of the games and £250 is a great price, the graphics look great and I'm not gonna have to spend loads of money on a new PC which is a definite plus.

I'm well happy with it, thanks for all the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom