CatManDo

Hi all,

I am wanting to upgrade my daughters Xbox One S 1TB for the newer model mostly for the improved performance with load times etc. She only uses digital games so was considering the Series S but it only has 512 storage and she is always running out of space. I was thinking of getting the series S and then adding the 1TB SSD drive but that takes it up to the price of an X! So wondering if best to just get the X if I can find one!

She only has a HD TV so won't be taking advantage of 4K just yet.

Any advice and recommendations please?

Thank you,

King Tones

Distinguished Member
The S is a cracking little console and would be a big improvement over the One S especially for the load times and for Optimised Series S/X Games.

The Storage is small but all depends on how many games she plays and the sizes they are. Assume being all Digital then your Internet speed is decent ?

I have the Series X and a Series S.

I probably have maybe 20 games installed on the Series X and maybe 9/10 on the Series S as I play maybe 2 or 3 games at any one time and delete and re-install when needed.

If you want to future proof then the Series X will be best, more storage, 4K machine and the best graphics for Series S/X Games

But if she is not going to upgrade the TV or Monitor any time soon and only plays a handful of games then a Series S might be a good option.

I have an Ext SSD attached to the Series S and if I need to I install games to that and transfer when I want to play them off the internal. Not all games require to be on the Internal Drive, if the game does not have a Series S/X update then they will run off the Ext SSD fine and it takes 3 minutes to transfer a 60gb game across.

So for value a Series S with a 500gb SSD and Enclosure might be a good option.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
To add, stock for Series X is dropping all the time on Amazon, MS Store and places like Argos and Game.

Not like you would have to wait 3 months to get one, just need to keep checking or sign up to the Stock Alerts that are available.

Last edited:

CatManDo

Thanks again for help is much appreciated. Internet speed is ok but she does have a lot of large downloaded games like COD, Valhalla etc.

I will keep looking for the X as your point about future proofing is a good one, but still will consider an S with a external drive in the meantime!

Just one last question, are games still optimised on the S and if so would there be any difference when only using a 1080P TV?

Thanks

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Thanks again for help is much appreciated. Internet speed is ok but she does have a lot of large downloaded games like COD, Valhalla etc.

I will keep looking for the X as your point about future proofing is a good one, but still will consider an S with a external drive in the meantime!

Just one last question, are games still optimised on the S and if so would there be any difference when only using a 1080P TV?

Thanks

Yeah COD is a killer for the Storage Space so I avoid that one.

Yes you get Series S Optimised games, so the loading will be better, pixels will be better, framerate and things like draw distance. If it's Optimised yes it might look better on a 4K Screen but it is still going to be an Improvement on the 1080p screen over the One S.

This highlights the difference between One S and Series S but also highlights how the Series X is the best but you are also getting 60fps over the One S 30fps with the same resolution.

And One for COD so you can see the difference in the Visuals.

CatManDo

Yes you get Series S Optimised games, so the loading will be better, pixels will be better, framerate and things like draw distance. If it's Optimised yes it might look better on a 4K Screen but it is still going to be an Improvement on the 1080p screen over the One S.

This highlights the difference between One S and Series S but also highlights how the Series X is the best but you are also getting 60fps over the One S 30fps with the same resolution.

Thanks so much, let me take a look!

CatManDo

Managed to bag an Xbox Series X this morning from Argos so she is sorted!

Hopefully see a big upgrade.

Any tips or things I can do to get it ready before xmas?

Thanks

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Managed to bag an Xbox Series X this morning from Argos so she is sorted!

Hopefully see a big upgrade.

Any tips or things I can do to get it ready before xmas?

Thanks
Set it up download games? Not much else you can do and that relies on you being able to login as your daughter...assuming you know passwords etc...

The setup is nice and easy via the xbox app on your phone - again assuming you have relevant login ability.

Good you've got a Series X though an S would have been ideal in your scenario and saved you money! Anyway she'll love the X!

CatManDo

Thanks mate!

Yes I know her details so will log her in and get games downloaded. Do you know if she is likely to get an email saying she has been signed into a new device?

The S did appeal but really wanted 1TB as she has that now and uses a lots of different games. I know you can add storage but can't run the optimised versions from USB, only the £200 official expansion.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate!

Yes I know her details so will log her in and get games downloaded. Do you know if she is likely to get an email saying she has been signed into a new device?

The S did appeal but really wanted 1TB as she has that now and uses a lots of different games. I know you can add storage but can't run the optimised versions from USB, only the £200 official expansion.
Yeah I get that but an external SSD (cheap one) takes a couple of minutes to transfer games to the internal. So could easily have bought a cheap external SSD and just transferred back and forth.

Anyway done now. She will know its been set up assuming she uses the app - as it associates consoles to accounts - or if she ever logged into her account on a PC. So might be best to leave it. What's your internet speed?

CatManDo

Hi mate,

Yeah fair comment.

Internet speed not great, about 20MB. Don;t think she uses the app,

Might be best to wait just in case I guess as don't want to spoil the surprise.

Guessing I could boot it up without logging an account to get the console updates though?

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Hi mate,

Yeah fair comment.

Internet speed not great, about 20MB. Don;t think she uses the app,

Might be best to wait just in case I guess as don't want to spoil the surprise.

Guessing I could boot it up without logging an account to get the console updates though?
Setup requires an account to login I think. Probably best just to wait. Its quite fun to set it up.

CatManDo

Thanks mate, it won’t register it to me or anything then?

Ultimately I will be signed in as my home console as we do game sharing.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate, it won’t register it to me or anything then?

Ultimately I will be signed in as my home console as we do game sharing.
Dont think it does it automatically and you have to register it via the MS site. Think it only automatically does it if you buy direct from MS.

And you will be fine signing in as you have to manually set it as home console so she won't lose anything on the One S.

CatManDo

Hi all

Ok so just to double check, i have the new series X and daughter is out all day. Shall I just setup with my gamer tag and she can add hers at Xmas? Will this cause any problems? We game share so I won’t be able to download any of her purchased games until she is added right? But a least I can add any of the ones I have purchased. Sorry just want to make sure I’m not going to mess anything up

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom