jaredmccoy

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an Xbox X connected to an Onkyo Surround Sound. From there an HDMI connects to my TV. The surround sound and TV both support Dolby vision, HDR 10, etc. I've enabled all these extras on the Xbox. But the xbox says it can't display any of them b/c the TV or surround sound don't support it. I have confirmed my Roku and Chromecast all work fine with HDR 10 and Vision. They are connected the same.

I've used the same HDMI cable as the other devices on the xbox as well as the one that came with the xbox. What am I doing wrong?

It supports passthrough but I haven't found a setting. Why would the xbox require that if the chromecast and Roku don't?

I forgot that I also hooked it up directly to the TV with the HDMI that I normally plug into the AV receiver. Still no vision and Dolby. Plugged my chromecast in through the same cord using a dongle and then my Roku through that cord and both worked with Vision/HDR10. So I'm very confused what I'm not doing with the xbox correctly

You need to ensure you are using the cable that came with the Xbox, plug in direct and then check the Xbox settings and ensure HDMi Deep colour or what ever it is enabled on the HdMi input.

Maybe worth sharing your model of TV and some screenshots of the Xbox settings you are getting or what is not enabled.

I'll go home and screenshot settings and post models of my AV receiver and TV. I'll also hook up the xbox direct to TV and see what happens. Then work my way back adding one component at a time until I find when it stops working.

The AV receiver is on the opposite side of the room as the TV. The guy that lived there before me ran an HDMI cable across the room and left it. I have no idea the specs of it. I looked online and it said I need an HDMI capable of 18 Gbps for HDR/Vision. I may order a new one and install just to make certain. But it still doesn't make sense to me that it works for other devices.

Any update on this? I have a similar kind of set up and Dolby Vision has recently disappeared as an option on my Xbox One S. I do have premium HDMI cables installed.
  • SONY BRAVIA KD-75xh9500h
  • Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver

Any update on this? I have a similar kind of set up and Dolby Vision has recently disappeared as an option on my Xbox One S. I do have premium HDMI cables installed.
  • SONY BRAVIA KD-75xh9500h
  • Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver
I just figured out that when they added night mode to the console it was enabled by default, and blocked all HDR and Dolby Vision options. Check to see if you have the same problem!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom