AndrewYeh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'd appreciate some help, I've looked so much I've gone round in circles and going mad.

I have LG HD 43" led that needs upgrading.
Don’t fancy risking screen burn with an OLED. It's a touch out of my comfort zone with that risk, at my budget.
I'd like to unlock as much of the Xbox as possible, but seem to get the feeling there’s no perfect tv without burn-in.
I’m considering the Sony X900H just for excellent 4k 60fps with Dolby vision on my 5.1 surrounds for a good price.
I'm aware of the 4k 120fps picture problem atm, but it may still be the best overall for the money? Given most games are likely to be 4k 60fps

As the Samsung q80t has tearing problems too and seemingly some motion issues.
Failing that, maybe I go short term for a solid upgrade to 4k HDR 60fps in short term such as a Samsung 8500?

I use my tv for gaming but also movies, around 5 hours a day.
Do use it at different times of day but particularly evenings in the dark, about 8 ft from the screen so I'm thinking 50/55 inch VA panel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Have you seen: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

The Sony XH9005 is only mid tier because it lacks good HDR picture quality with limited local dimming and only 750 nits peak brightness.

Best value right now would be the Sony XH9505 (Good HDR, no VRR), Samsung Q80T (Okay HDR, VRR) or Samsung Q90T (Expensive, Good HDR, VRR) or an LG OLED (Expensive, Good HDR, VRR).

Cheers @Dodgexander I appreciate your in-depth guide in the other thread.
I wasn't sure if the q90t also had problems with motion atm
and also whether due to there not really being that many smooth sailing tvs with hdmi 2.1
Whether the upgrade to 4k hdr would be enough for a lower budget for a few years.

Thanks again

I haven't heard of any problems with the Samsung's motion for games other than the known VRR problem of gamma not tracking at different refresh rates (I think people describe this as flickering). Some people don't get along with Samsung's motion for video content, but motion is very much in the eye of the beholder, so that doesn't mean you won't find a problem.

With HDR there's HDR and hdr so be sure if you do upgrade to go for a TV that has good HDR hardware to be future proof, and not something like the Sony XH9005 which falls short in this area.

Thank you again @Dodgexander
May I ask about your feelings on burn in with new OLEDS? (ignore this, found your threat :) )
I may play fifa or the odd game with a HUD for a few hours a day, ha Im abit of a nervous disposition as its a big outlay for me.

Failing that I then I'd look at a q80t for sure, Samsungs always seem to pop nicely
I guess losing Dolby Vision is ok, although I hear Xbox games will use this alot from 2021

The other option is buying a 4k 60fps throw away for a few hundred, to hand down to folks until sometime thing does everything right in a few years. May be enough of a bump up for now over HD

Last edited:
Burn in can be a problem if you consistently play the same game with bright static huds like FIFA. Other games with lightly coloured huds, like call of duty aren't high risk. The rtings.com test found it after 5000 hours on the player selection screen of their FIFA 18 loop. So you can calculate based on your own usage. If you don't play one game and tend to mix it up, its not something you have to worry about.

beware with going the cheap route because cheaper TVs can't display HDR properly, and a lot of what you buy into with a 4k TV is HDR picture quality, not 4k itself.

Thanks again Dodge, I reckon at worst I would cap 10 hours on fifa a week, more often 7 or so and tbh I'd much rather play other games with more variety.

I have a 1175 quote on a CX 55, so maybe I just bite the bullet for the best

Many thanks for your time again

10h is about 500 weeks worth which is just short of 5 years, 7h will be less. If you want the TV to last more than 5 years get an LCD TV instead, otherwise the OLED is fine.

Of course this is all worse case scenario based on the same loop each time, doesn't take into consideration different TVs, different game modes, different ways of playing the game. Also the new FIFA games could be less prone to it if they aren't as bright. Plus I don't think most people play the same FIFA game each year, buying the latest ones when they're out instead.

I've also seen you can just turn the HUD off on fifa... Im pretty sure I can remember a score ...

Thanks for your further input there, I been meaning to cut down and tbh seems like with HUDS off
As long as your able to use an OLED for varied general use, the odd HUD here and their responsibility, I'd be fine. I'd like to get 6 /7 years out the tv for that price :) .

Blergh just when I think I can, i feel to many games have huds id compromise to much and be too worried, best with no screen burn it is >_<

Last edited:
@Dodgexander Thanks again.
I've seen the Sony X9505 is £925 atm and I see is in your High Tier.
VRR loss to great? If limited to 60fps I get confused if its key or not.

Could be a good choice if not, besides waiting and researching 2021
P.:S a big thank you for all your useful and informative threads

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words!
You need to go for the Samsung Q90T to get similar kind of performance from a TV with a VRR 40-120hz enabled HDMI 2.1 port. Or you need to downgrade HDR picture quality for the Sony XH9005 or Samsung Q80T.

I think the general picture quality of the TV, the price and its HDR capabilities are most important ahead of VRR, but that's really up to you to decide.

@Dodgexander your welcome, your up there with Vincent and Fomo in my eyes and as helpful as Rtings

Cheers, I'll definitely give the X950 some thought then (and possibly a refurb with a warranty from Sony if one comes up). I believe I'm right in thinking if I say 60fps is for me, then VRR is an ok loss.

and maybe the q90t if its in budget on the ole paypal payments

I'm really not! Without reviewers like those guys we wouldn't have a clue where each TV stands. I just try and round up the TVs and put them all in one place. I apreciate the kind words though.

But the Sony XH9505 is just a lot better value at the moment, Samsung models have been pretty overpriced this year for some reason. Not sure the Q90T is worth it even if you do get that 1x HDMI 2.1 port.

@Dodgexander any time :)

I agree with you the Samsungs are often overpriced, I guess we all foot their large advertising bill.
Definitely think I'm happy for a 9505, £925 ain't bad, but maybe see what sony refurb does.
Failing that looking forward to 2021 tvs. But I'm sure I'll be delighted with the jump from HD to 950

@Dodgexander final question if you don't mind

I can get a Q90t 55" for £975, but I'm unsure if Dolby Vision loss is too great?
I'd be sold on X950h for DV and Solid 60FPS but lack of VVR Could be an issue?
(I'd wait on a refurb)
The £1175 CX is still there but I just think I'm too borderline for Burn-in to get past 5 years.

Maybe an X900h refurb makes sense if around £600 when it comes up for short/mid term.
Or stick it out till new tv's come out.

May I ask what you would do? I cant get good enough clarification on VVR or Dolby Vision

At that price the Q90T is a very good deal, but is it from the Samsung store with discount? They only offer a years warranty and have questionable customer service from what I've seen. Mind you, a year is standard. Anything else on top is a bonus from a 3rd party (not manufacturer) so you can always buy your own warranty or put the TV on home/electronic insurance.

VRR has its problems and they may not be fixed on the Q90T but I think still worth having if you can get the Q90T the same price as the Sony XH9505. Its preferable in my view to Dolby Vision support. You gain HDR10+ with Samsung and lose that with Sony anyway.

I'd avoid the Sony XH9005 unless you plan to game without HDR...may be okay in some titles where you can control the peak output. Better instead to look at a XH9505 refurb instead. The Sony also has what seems to be an unfix-able problem with blur at 120hz which adds to the known gamma shift when using VRR tech.

CX of course trumps them all, ticks the most boxes. Just don't go for it if you play a lot of games with static huds, tickers etc.

@Dodgexander yep it's the ole Samsung discount after cashback, Yeah it's a shame it only has the 1-year warranty.

Annoyingly it seems HDR 10+ is not supported by Xbox Series X.
Yes I also see the 120hz problem with their x900h, a firmware seems to have helped a bit

The Sony Bravia X900H Blur Issue is Not Fixed But Looks Better After Firmware v6.0414 a good showing of it here.

Sonys X90J's for 2021 could hopefully prove a good option or the mini LEDs from Samsung, although I guess no DolbyVision there.

I so wish I could get on board with OLED but it's such a big investment for being a risky user.

As always, I appreciate your valued insight , Thank you for that.

@Dodgexander update: I've ended up with a Sony refurb x900h 55" I couldn't say no at £575 over the phone, I'll try it out when it gets here and also try and find an x950h refurb if one comes up and take what works best. But happy to try for that price for high tier. Thanks again, mate.

@Dodgexander Had the TV a few days now. It's definitely a serious upgrade, however your exactly right about HDR. Having never had/seen it in my home before, it's definitely an impressive experience in having the sun in games sting your eyes a bit!

Seems to max out at about 850-900 nits on calibration screens.
It's great but now I've seen it, you can't help but wonder what a higher nits screen can do.
Dolby Vision I think can help in games

Not been able to see the VRR and ALM until firmware arrives.
Games look fine without it for now, but probably best for future-proofing.
For this price, without a screen burn & with Dolby Vision. Probably not much else til 2021 sets.

Cheers again for the valuable insight.

@Dodgexander Had the TV a few days now. It's definitely a serious upgrade, however your exactly right about HDR. Having never had/seen it in my home before, it's definitely an impressive experience in having the sun in games sting your eyes a bit!

Seems to max out at about 850-900 nits on calibration screens.
It's great but now I've seen it, you can't help but wonder what a higher nits screen can do.
Dolby Vision I think can help in games

Not been able to see the VRR and ALM until firmware arrives.
Games look fine without it for now, but probably best for future-proofing.
For this price, without a screen burn & with Dolby Vision. Probably not much else til 2021 sets.

Cheers again for the valuable insight.
Great to hear you are so happy with it! You certainly got a bargain there. Congratz!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom