Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

Just found a 1tb SSD drive I forgot I had :) Purchased a USB 3.0 enclosure from Amazon for 8.99...

Ideally, you want at least a USB 3.1 external drive or caddy, so it can run at the best speeds possible with the USB 3.1 ports on the console.

My bad, order cancelled and a enclosure with 3.1 ordered instead. Thanks guys...

Is the full 1TB useable or 920GB

920Gb is the usable size so not far of what any 1Tb drive will have usable once formatted.

If you don’t mind dealing with Very then this can currently be bought from them for £198 using a buy now pay 12 months 10% cash back offer.

Anybody bought the official expansion?

Having had my Series X for just over 24 hours and installed 9 games the internal storage is almost full.

I don't think my 4TB 2.5" USB drive will cut it so have been thinking about the expansion although it does seem quite pricey.

I have it. It’s expensive but apart from “it works” there’s not much else to report really

I have it. It’s expensive but apart from “it works” there’s not much else to report really
Thanks. I guess it's the only game in town at the moment isn't it?

I suppose there will be other alternatives in the future but who knows when that will be.

Having had my Series X for just over 24 hours and installed 9 games the internal storage is almost full.

I don't think my 4TB 2.5" USB drive will cut it so have been thinking about the expansion although it does seem quite pricey.
dont know ive been very impressed with my usb external hardrive and the series X games load quicker than they did on xbox one and if i move them onto internal storage moving them is quicker than i was expecting

Thanks. I guess it's the only game in town at the moment isn't it?

I suppose there will be other alternatives in the future but who knows when that will be.
It is really if you want the maximum performance.
I personally was happy to pay for it as that’ll keep me going for quite a while now

yup, I'm very happy with it too, retains the speed of the internal drive.

After the Master Chief Collection patch was released yesterday I moved the 120Gb install from my external SSD to the internal storage and was quite impressed with the speed as it only took just over 5 minutes.

After the Master Chief Collection patch was released yesterday I moved the 120Gb install from my external SSD to the internal storage and was quite impressed with the speed as it only took just over 5 minutes.

Yep I don't feel the need to get the Extra Storage just yet as it took 2 minutes to transfer Apex Legends which is 50gb.

When it drops to a reasonable price then maybe but I have a 500gb SSD which can be a backup.

Yep I don't feel the need to get the Extra Storage just yet as it took 2 minutes to transfer Apex Legends which is 50gb.

When it drops to a reasonable price then maybe but I have a 500gb SSD which can be a backup.
So I might be better off getting a speedy USB SSD and using that for storing/running non Series X games rather than getting the expansion?

A Samsung 1TB T7 USB SSD is a good bit cheaper than the Seagate expansion

So I might be better off getting a speedy USB SSD and using that for storing/running non Series X games rather than getting the expansion?

A Samsung 1TB T7 USB SSD is a good bit cheaper than the Seagate expansion

Personally I would not spend £220 on 1tb of storage when I just play a few games at a time and I can wait 2/3 minutes for one to transfer if needed.

My SSD cost me £50 I think and happy with that for the time being.

I am already dipping into my cold storage. The Halo MCC made me have to dump Fortnite to my SSD.

I really thought I won't need one of those storage expansion drives for a year as I didn't think there would be any games out for a year. With Destiny having an update soon I'm now looking at one of those drives.

Although with Black Friday coming up I may buy a 1TB SSD and name it as a cold storage drive.

Following the recent Digital Foundry video on storage options I researched external SSDs for a bit and settled on a 2TB Crucial MX500 (specs pretty much the same as the Samsung 860 EVO, but £40 cheaper). This works great and currently has everything I owned for the X1X stored on there, and I'm moving stuff across the XSX SSD as and when I play the games. It was around £200 when I got it, but I see that the 2TB drive has dropped to £155 on Amazon today as part of their Black Friday deals (£80 for the 1TB).

Yeah I did similar, about £150 for 2tb SSD then put it in a USB 3.1 enclosure, it's really fast transferring between internal and this.

I purchased the official ssd, opened the box and thought....is that it....it’s tiny :)

Worth the price though and fitted to the Series X

Any cheap hard drives I should be looking at? Not fussed about dad’s as the console will be my 2nd console to my ps5 so won’t be played as much

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom