Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

Hope someone can put me right, I connected my new SSD drive to my XB1X via the USB port on the front of the console, then it asked my to format it if I wasn’t using it for media etc.
But when I came to look at the storage devices in settings it only showed my external HD (I got a standard 5TB drive).

The SSD drive only shows up if I put it in the USB port at the back, thus having to unplug my standard HDD.

Not sure why it won’t show when the SSD is plugged into the front port....maybe not USB 3.0?

Mine disappeared once I formatted it so disconnected it and plugged it back in and it showed up.

FYI there are two USB ports on the back, are both being used?

Mine disappeared once I formatted it so disconnected it and plugged it back in and it showed up.

FYI there are two USB ports on the back, are both being used?
Ah yup, thank you....its now showing up after plugging it back in:rolleyes::facepalm:

EDIT: only one USB port at the back on mine though

My new SSD did the same after formatting it. Wasn’t showing and, no formatting status or no notification it had done the format. Gave up in the end unplugged and plugged it back in and popped up saying ready.

Yeah, needs to be USB3 and > 128gb to be recognised for games.

Ah yup, thank you....its now showing up after plugging it back in:rolleyes::facepalm:

EDIT: only one USB port at the back on mine though

Ah sorry thought you had the One X.

Yeah, needs to be USB3 and > 128gb to be recognised for games.

Oh my WD Blue 1Tb definitely meets the requirements but for some reason it disappeared when first formatted and sounds like this is a common thing.

Mine did the exact same thing - side USB didnt like it, back did - I have two USBs attached maybe its a voltage thing. Also once formatted it didnt appear until it was removed and reconnected (waited 30mins before I did that) Works fine now.

My One X Scorpio Edition has got two USB ports on the back, next to each other, and one on the front.

Think im going to get the western digital 5tb usb drive for £94 on offer on amazon at the moment

I pre-ordered the Seagate card yesterday, but now I'm considering cancelling my order and just buying an external ssd after having a quick read through of this thread.
This will be my first console purchase since the ps2 nearly 20 years ago, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Just wondering approx how many next gen games can be stored on the internal harddrive?

I pre-ordered the Seagate card yesterday, but now I'm considering cancelling my order and just buying an external ssd after having a quick read through of this thread.
This will be my first console purchase since the ps2 nearly 20 years ago, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Just wondering approx how many next gen games can be stored on the internal harddrive?

thats going to depend on how big the games are. Different games. Different sizes

if guess you gonna be fine for a good 7 to 10 (true series x games) with no worries

some suggestion that due to how the drive and tech works comparable games may actually be smaller due to how quick the info can be accessed and less need for duplication

I certainly think you be good for at least 12 months or more with internal and the external for non series x games

thats going to depend on how big the games are. Different games. Different sizes

if guess you gonna be fine for a good 7 to 10 (true series x games) with no worries

some suggestion that due to how the drive and tech works comparable games may actually be smaller due to how quick the info can be accessed and less need for duplication

I certainly think you be good for at least 12 months or more with internal and the external for non series x games
Much appreciated for your reply!
That's great; a lot more than I expected. With the lack of next gen title releases in the coming months, I doubt I'll need an expansion card anytime soon. Don't want to buy one unnecessarily now incase prices drop in a year's time.

Personally I think prices will drop especially when we get more choice on the market. There's talk of other brands and sizes being possible in the future.
I'm happy to stick with the internal drive for Series X games and the external SSD drive I've been using for my One X to start with.

So can we still use a WD passport HDD with the new Series X to play our Xbox One X games?
Are there any implications or are you all moving to a SSD just for faster load times?

So can we still use a WD passport HDD with the new Series X to play our Xbox One X games?
Are there any implications or are you all moving to a SSD just for faster load times?

Correct. You just can’t play Series X or S games directly from it. Though you can use it as cold storage for them. For the older back compat games they will just load a bit slower but quick resume works either way.

Faster load and transfer times are why I upgraded to a 1Tb SSD.

I upgraded my xbox one's external drive to an SSD a last year which I'm going to use for the time being. It's only 512gb though so I'm going to keep an eye out for a 1tb in the black Friday deals.
SSD is definitely worth getting over HDD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom