Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

Maybe I’m confused here but a couple pages back didn’t someone want the title changed as we know prices now?

Im sure a mod said they can’t change the titles

It was me :)

King Tones suggestion is good, and add price at end

That would help thanks Mandy

Just a couple of points that were confirmed on the latest major Nelson podcast
One other thing is you might lose the quick resume feature if you run Xbox one games off of a usb drive too as that apparently dumps the ram states in to the SSD and when you resume pulls the data back to the ram (according to Austin Evans deep dive video at ms). Not sure if they'll find a way to stash instant resume data cache in the SSD but allow the main game itself be on the usb drive to allow this to work though.
I'm sure quick resume will only work for games on the internal SSD because it's all possible because of the Velocity Architecture and the fact it can instantly access 100GB from the SSD. No external drives will have that capability.

Firstly, suspend and quick resume works for Xbox one, and back compat games even if they are installed on an external HDD. The suspended game state memory is frozen and stored on the internal SSD (all suspended game States are stored on the internal SSD, so adding the Seagate external SSD doesn't increase the amount of games you can suspend) then when you resume it loads up that state from the internal SSD to memory, and continues to play the game from the external HDD as before.

Absolutely, I was very pleased to see it! I just wonder if it will only work with digital games or if new Xbox Series games bought on disk will work with it?

As expected they also confirmed on there that you need the disc in the console in order to play the game, so quick resume will work, but it will involve you swapping discs.

Just a couple of points that were confirmed on the latest major Nelson podcast

Firstly, suspend and quick resume works for Xbox one, and back compat games even if they are installed on an external HDD. The suspended game state memory is frozen and stored on the internal SSD (all suspended game States are stored on the internal SSD, so adding the Seagate external SSD doesn't increase the amount of games you can suspend) then when you resume it loads up that state from the internal SSD to memory, and continues to play the game from the external HDD as before.

As expected they also confirmed on there that you need the disc in the console in order to play the game, so quick resume will work, but it will involve you swapping discs.

Thanks for that, hmm kinda makes it a bit pointless if you have a lot of games on disk.

Thanks for that, hmm kinda makes it a bit pointless if you have a lot of games on disk.

I wouldn't say it's pointless, if you can change the disc quicker than loading a game from scratch, and bearing in mind some of the load times this gen have been ridiculous, over 2 mins in some cases, if you can change a disc quicker than that your still getting a benefit.

Thinking about it, there are gonna be plenty of instances where the benefits of quick resume or even improved load times are gonna be hindered. Online games mainly, you ain't going to be able to suspend and resume into a game, or lobby for instance, probably only to I title screen or main menu. And where games are cross gen or multiplatform, you may have series x with amazing loading times, and your gonna loaf into the game rapid to but your still gonna have to wait around for whoever is on the slowest hardware. Imagine a game of pubg or Fortnite for instance, somebody or of that 100 is gonna be on an old machine and you will have to wait for them.

Last edited:
Well before if you used disc you had to get off your backside to fire up the disc, wait a minute for all the corporate nonsense to get out of the way and then another minute for your save to load.

Now it's just getting up to insert the disc and ten seconds to drag the game off of it's suspend point. It’s still a great time saver.

I wont use quick resume anyway I always shut down and save my game when I finish playing

I'm going to give Quick Resume a try,

but don't think I will ever be in a situation where I'll always use it in one go... I tend to just play 1 game then get bored and move to the next

I'm going to give Quick Resume a try,

but don't think I will ever be in a situation where I'll always use it in one go... I tend to just play 1 game then get bored and move to the next

And that's fine, but even if you only play one game you'll still get the benefit of quick resume. It isn't just about switching between games. You could play some of that game today, suspend it, shit down the console, and come back to it tomorrow without having to completely load the game from scratch and be playing within just a few seconds.

And when you move on the the next game the previous game is left in a suspended state, so if ever you do want to go back to it for that last achievement or collectible it will quick resume in seconds, after suspending the second game you played.

And it isn't like you have to do anything in particular for this to happen, it just happens. Just load up another game and the previous one will be suspended ready for next time.

I wont use quick resume anyway I always shut down and save my game when I finish playing
Why?
I can understand saving, I'd probably save just in case, but why go out of your way to quit the game? Your taking extra time to quit the game, and in turn adding extra time to your starting of the game next time you play.

I'm still interested to know of you do elect to shut off quick resume, which is apparently an option, do you get that reserved drive space back for installs? I can't see many series X owners doing this but series s owners may very well appreciate the extra storage space. Either way the gains from a regular usb SSD on previous gen games and the fast quick resume will work on those does mean anything not optimised for these consoles you might be just fine to upgrade with an external drive.

I'd also like to see the ability to force a game or 2 to live in quick resume no matter how many you play, so your rolling queue of 6 may be reduced to 4 but there's 2 games you play a lot in there until you turn them off. Just thinking for people who love playing the likes of FIFA it would be nice if your playing a league to be able to jump right in at the start match page even if you've played a few other games since you last played.

Do we also have any idea how it works with multiple users? In orange the newest games will be stored regardless of user. So if your kids decide to play a few different games your save state will be dumped.

even if you only play one game you'll still get the benefit of quick resume. It isn't just about switching between games. You could play some of that game today, suspend it, shut down the console, and come back to it tomorrow without having to completely load the game from scratch and be playing within just a few seconds.

The potential bottleneck here is always-online games that need to sign into the third-party developer's/publisher's service, such as Destiny 2 or Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

For example, even if I don't fully quit these games on my One X nor play anything else in between sessions, they take me back to the title screen and require me to log into Bungie/Ubisoft services before it loads my game save or any content.

I wonder if the devs have taken this into account and will update their games and infrastructure to support Quick Resume.

The potential bottleneck here is always-online games that need to sign into the third-party developer's/publisher's service, such as Destiny 2 or Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

For example, even if I don't fully quit these games on my One X nor play anything else in between sessions, they take me back to the title screen and require me to log into Bungie/Ubisoft services before it loads my game save or any content.

I wonder if the devs have taken this into account and will update their games and infrastructure to support Quick Resume.

I doubt it will change, every person logged in will be using resources of some kind and no developer will change their infrastructure to cater for a small time saving. Destiny for instance on my PC is very quick to load up and be in game, matter of seconds really whereas on console it takes an eternity which is why I stopped playing it on console a while ago. I'll be happy to start playing again on console if the load times are much faster.

1602099818805.png

Im still going to stick with a 4tb mechanical its the cheapest way. I will store everything on there and move it to internal to play it

I'm just going to continue using my external 2 TB FireCuda SSHD. It's in a USB 3.0 enclosure, so may get a better spec enclosure for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom