Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

Which one have you got Tones? I have a 2tb mechanical drive currently but would give some thought to getting a SSD backup as well if there are some good options out there...

+1 for this. Got an old 2Tb hard drive which is painfully slow so hopefully pick up an SSD later on in the sales but not sure what i need to look for. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a new thread going for this topic?

On a side note you can uninstall games from the GamePass app but was wondering if its possible to move games around to the different drives via one of the apps?

Which one have you got Tones? I have a 2tb mechanical drive currently but would give some thought to getting a SSD backup as well if there are some good options out there...

I got this one when it was in a deal for under £50

Amazon product ASIN B01F9G46Q8
It's only 500gb but is more than enough for me along with the internal.
I do have other drives that are 1 & 2tb HDDs which I had all my games on but now just use the SSD.

I do have other drives that are 1 & 2tb HDDs which I had all my games on but now just use the SSD.
Will keep an eye out for this during prime day, hopefully grab a bargain.

Xbox Series X has 800GB available for games as per TechRadar not too bad given differences in counting data, formatting and OS installation.

So is this the fastest we can get that takes full advantage of the SX or is there faster?

So is this the fastest we can get that takes full advantage of the SX or is there faster?

Fastest would be the Seagate Expansion. And you can probably get faster Ext SSDs but I'm happy with the one I have and it should only take a few minutes to transfer a 50gb game to the internal if needed.

Xbox Series X has 800GB available for games as per TechRadar not too bad given differences in counting data, formatting and OS installation.

Plenty for me I think, I only keep a handful of games at a time, and delete anything I have no interest in playing again.

Its more a question of cost v performance. Digital Foundry are doing some tests at present to test exactly what you Require, so hold fire for now.

If you want cheapness and around 512-1TB buy what your looking at, nothing wrong with it and I have it on my One X but if you want performance and 1TB storage then buy Similar to This and use similar to This case and it will work a lot faster than a Sata Based SSD for around £120

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Its more a question of cost v performance. Digital Foundry are doing some tests at present to test exactly what you Require, so hold fire for now.

If you want cheapness and around 512-1TB buy what your looking at, nothing wrong with it and I have it on my One X but if you want performance and 1TB storage then buy Similar to This and use similar to This case and it will work a lot faster than a Sata Based SSD for around £120
Thanks for the info that helps a lot. Will keep an eye out for the DF report

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just pre-ordered the expansion from Amazon just in case I do want it near the release date

Amazon product ASIN B08K48F6QZ
Its the only way to effectively expand the fast internal storage pool. Have a 4TB pocket USB3.1 drive I can also plug in for temporary storage.

Amazon have a small 480GB SSD on sale.

Amazon product ASIN B01GQPXB3U
Not the quickest or largest but it is pretty small. Won't work for playing Series X|S games off of but could be good for "cold storage"/back up or for backwards compatible games.

Think I might wait till Prime Day in October and pick up a 2.5" 1TB SSD and USB 3 enclosure and use that.

Last edited:
Is there any negative to choosing an NVME in an enclosure over a dedicated external SSD?

Heat maybe a possibility but you can get other enclosures that have heatsinks etc.

I get the point of an SSD to let you transfer stuff to and from internal quicker. But is spending £100 plus really sensible to save a few minutes here and there? How much transferring are people planning? If you're going to spend close to £150 - why not just buy the expansion card that means you can play games off it for an extra £70?

I get the point of an SSD to let you transfer stuff to and from internal quicker. But is spending £100 plus really sensible to save a few minutes here and there? How much transferring are people planning? If you're going to spend close to £150 - why not just buy the expansion card that means you can play games off it for an extra £70?

Personally it’s not even for transferring the games, it’s using it for PS4 games and still getting good load and quick resume.

If I bought these, is it a matter of just popping it into the case and plugging it into the xbox and will recognise it as a storage device or is it more complicated?

Dont touch any drive with QLC tech. Get TLC

TLC has better write performance. TLC has better endurance.

If I bought these, is it a matter of just popping it into the case and plugging it into the xbox and will recognise it as a storage device or is it more complicated?
The expensive Seagate 1TB drive is an Expansion card that increases the internal pool of storage and plugs into the dedicated expansion port on the XSX. The others are just drives in USB3 housings you plug into a USB port.

XBOX Series X games cannot run of anything other than its internal drive and the expansion unit if present. USB3 drives are just for storage of game & media data and also can be used for existing XBOX downloads as far as I know.

Yes, £219 is a lot to save you bringing games off USB3 drive into internal storage, but if you've got the money & don't want the messing around then that's the way to go.

Last edited:
The expensive Seagate 1TB drive is an Expansion card that increases the internal pool of storage and plugs into the dedicated expansion port on the XSX. The others are just drives in USB3 housings you plug into a USB port.

XBOX Series X games cannot run of anything other than its internal drive and the expansion unit if present. USB3 drives are just for storage of game & media data and also can be used for existing XBOX downloads as far as I know.

Yes, £219 is a lot to save you bringing games off USB3 drive into internal storage, but if you've got the money & don't want the messing around then that's the way to go.
I'm really looking at something decent that I can transfer all my games from the one x to the series x. My broadband is terrible at about 10meg so to download everything again would take at least a week if not more.

After that I'd have a ssd to store general tat on. I could probably live with the 1tb series x storage so don't think l'd need the seagate 1tb custom drive.

I'm really looking at something decent that I can transfer all my games from the one x to the series x. My broadband is terrible at about 10meg so to download everything again would take at least a week if not more.

After that I'd have a ssd to store general tat on. I could probably live with the 1tb series x storage so don't think l'd need the seagate 1tb custom drive.

It really depends on how much you want to spend and whether you are not fussed about how long it takes to move content about, the cheapest/slowest option would be a regular mechanical hard drive and the expensive/quickest option would be an SSD or the official expansion drive.

I currently have a 1Tb 2.5" hard drive and while not the quickest it can do 50Gb in about 15 minutes but I have been looking at getting a 1Tb SSD and putting it in a caddy but its not a very high priority.

It really depends on how much you want to spend and whether you are not fussed about how long it takes to move content about, the cheapest/slowest option would be a regular mechanical hard drive and the expensive/quickest option would be an SSD or the official expansion drive.

I currently have a 1Tb 2.5" hard drive and while not the quickest it can do 50Gb in about 15 minutes but I have been looking at getting a 1Tb SSD and putting it in a caddy but its not a very high priority.
I would probably lean more to a ssd rather than a mechanical drive. The improved speed and less moving parts to go wrong would outway for me the extra cost.

If there was an usb adaptor available for the seagate proprietary drive I'd propably buy it and kill 2 birds.

I would probably lean more to a ssd rather than a mechanical drive. The improved speed and less moving parts to go wrong would outway for me the extra cost.

If there was an usb adaptor available for the seagate proprietary drive I'd propably buy it and kill 2 birds.

What would be the use of a USB adapter for the Seagate storage?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom