Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

More than I'd hoped, but not entirely unexpected either given they need to be cutting edge tech.

I have a 4tb USB drive so not the end of the world., but with that I sometimes have to delete stuff to make room for more games as havfe so much installed. With the Series X I'll just transfer certain games initially I'll want to play on and off, such as MP games or others that make use of an upgrade, like FH4. Issue will be it will impact the benefits when choosing something spontaneously from your games, such as one of many different racing games I might have the urge to play. Can't keep them all on SSD.

I regularly play games off gamepass so will move them as and when so can benefit from quick resume then delete.

To be honest I doubt I'll install as many games once console cloud streaming comes into effect because can stream immediately when want to try it, eg a GP game, and if decent install as normal, if not don't bother. Up to now I've just installed any games I think might be worth a try and they add up, then no doubt some come off GP but still on my drive.

Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X | S
Available 10/11/2020
Get free shipping and hassle-free returns when you buy direct from Microsoft Store.
£219.99** MSRP
PRE-ORDER

wow expencive, i guess a way to get back some money

so the us price is $219.99 that converts into uk money at £172.73, so we get charged £47 quid more

so the us price is $219.99 that converts into uk money at £172.73, so we get charged £47 quid more

Don't think their price includes tax though. Take VAT off ours it's £183.

so some places in usa dont pay tax and you could prob order and still get it cheaper from us

Not really, anything the UK gets delivered from USA has Customs charge on it also

I purchased a Zagg IPad Keyboard from America, and had to pay £X amount at the post office before they handed it over :(

So what’s the difference with the Xbox being $499 but here it’s £449. Why can’t they do that with the external drive?
A lot of money for a drive you can only use in the series x.
I’ll stick with the 1tb internal and my 4tb external.

If Sony’s is that price it will be stupidly over priced too.

Sony doesn’t make or have a partner make these drives for them, the solution Sony offers relies on the market, and currently none will be as fast as the internal drive, I did read something somewhere about how ‘possibly’ they never will be, due to the number of paths or something. They’ll have the read and write speeds eventually yes. But this cartridge from Microsoft is guaranteed to run at the exact same performance and in the exact same way as the internal drive. And is hot swappable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A PCIE Gen 4 1TB SSD currently costs £170. This costs £50 more? So what?

I will manage the games from and to the internal drive, no issue for me

The internal will hold half a dozen + or so games no problem. Copying games from an external drive only takes 7-10 minutes so isn’t really a problem for me.
No way can I justify paying that amount for storage.

Will take a lot longer than that I reckon

Especially if you have to move a game off SSD to the HDD before you can start copying the new one to the HDD

If you base the numbers on the assumption that X games are 30% bigger than a games like the current gen it works out that the X has space for more titles out the box but adding this the 2 balance out to hold about the same number of games when they have 1.5tb and 2tb installed. The 1tb expansion will obviously go further if using it in the S meaning you can squeeze more titles on to it.

But for the price they are charging here it's $250nzd difference between the S and X and $388 for the card, it's a no brainer if 512gb isn't enough to just stump up for the series X and with the spare $138 buy an external drive for quick copying over to the internal drive.

Will take a lot longer than that I reckon

Especially if you have to move a game off SSD to the HDD before you can start copying the new one to the HDD

I was told 3-4 mins to transfer 60GB....

I don't get really why anyone would get the 1tb expansion ? Even if a bit cheaper surely much better to get the X ? Not only do you get more storage out of the box, much faster RAM, much faster GPU, 4k Blu-ray Drive etc

I was told 3-4 mins to transfer 60GB....

What about copying off onto the much slower HDD to start with ? Also depends on fi

Eff that Im not paying that money, will just need to limit the amount of Series X games I install on the internal, I will just use my external 2TB Crucial SSD for Xbox One X, Xbox One and 360 games.

I thought this would have been £179 given the loss taken on the consoles, £229 is just too much for a NVMe worth £99. Hold off if you can as this won’t sell at £229 and will see a price reduction after Xmas. It also doesn’t bode well for the PS5 initially as the slower 1TB drives are around £170.

What about copying off onto the much slower HDD to start with ? Also depends on fi

To Copy 100GB onto a USB HDD that can write at a sustained 100MB/s would take around 15 minutes at best. I would suggest if this is going to be a solution going forward that people use a 4TB HDD or as large as possible as they can then store the games on it and copy them to Series X without deleting from the external HDD. This will allow them to simply delete on the NVMe as opposed to copying back .

Is the best option here to look for a cheaper external SSD so at least the transfer is very quick rather than mechanical storage?

Is the best option here to look for a cheaper external SSD so at least the transfer is very quick rather than mechanical storage?
Hopefully Prime day has some good deals on this

Surely the chinese will make some sort of adapter for pennies which will enable you to fit your own 1TB Nvme PCIe 4.0

Surely the chinese will make some sort of adapter for pennies which will enable you to fit your own 1TB Nvme PCIe 4.0

It won't work. Its a proprietary connection because Xbox wants sustained performance to work with their velocity architecture....for a standard drive you'd need a cooling solution to be able to get sustained performance. And anyway fundamentally its a proprietary connection.....so nobody can do anything unless MS lets them.

Is it better not to just delete the install and reinstall providing you have good broadband? Games always have updates anyway... so 'archiving' seems pointless.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom